Thread: MRI software at Best buy

MRI software at Best buy

THe tech at Best buy put a CD into my comp. that showed everything on my comp. when I couldn't even get it to run the system recovery CD's properly. What is this?

About MRI software

MRI is a bundle of software exes that the geek squad "agents" run on your comp to fix pretty much all software issues except for installs and restores.

It also has programs like Western Digital and Hitachi DTF's (Drive fitness tests) used to diagnose hard drive errors. It contains other such programs to help diagnose hardware flaws on a boot-able CPU.

Re: MRI software at Best buy

Hi,

I couldn't even get it to run the system recovery CD's properly.
    When you boot the computer, tap the F10 key until the menu appears. This will get you into the recovery partition to initiate the recovery process. If you want to do a destructive recovery use the advanced menu. This option will bring your system back to its factory installed state.

Unauthorized use or distribution of MRI software is prohibited (also, this is right on the boot menu of the CD and in the license agreement).

It contains much licensed software and even The Geek Squad's own home grown software. It also has dial-home capabilities, and will time out rendering it useless in several months.

It should also be noted that the CD does in fact have the capability to destroy data - there are specific parts of the CD that do that intentionally. Also, certain applications are capable of doing that accidentally. It was not made with the beginner in mind.

A slightly related comment - I used to work at a PC repair shop next to Best Buy. We would get a constant stream of customers that would be sent from Best Buy to our store after *they* broke the machine! Sometimes they would even walk right out after getting a machine from the customer and bring it to us. I laughed out loud when I started to see these geek squad commercials. I can just imagine now the peeps at geek squad that use format and reload as their way to fix any problem the computer has