Thread: Can't use official updates microsoft websites

unsure Can't use official updates microsoft websites

Hello ! Sites such as :

windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    update.microsoft.com
    download.microsoft.com

doesn't work on my computer. When I ping them, they return 127.0.0.1 (localhost). I have scanned with NOD32 3.672 Business Editions with the last virus signatures and I have no viruses. I have looked in c:\windows\system\drivers\etc\hosts and it is only one line :

127.0.0.1 localhost

I tried system restore too, no result after restoring 7 days ago. What should I do now ?

Re: Can't use official updates microsoft websites

Which browser are you using ? i advise you to use internet Explorer That will work !

I'm wondering if this could be an MTU problem, as I remember reading something like happening before. So I've Googled and came across this interesting post on another site (with apologies to those who may recognise as their own posting, but we've got try and help the original poster haven't we? ):

I recently installed a router at home. And switched to cable.

Turns out it was MTU that was my problem. Because I could access many other internet sites, but yahoo! mail would return a blank screen.

Setting the MTU on the ethernet interface on my PC fixed this problem. I had to set my MTU to 1490 bytes (Telstra Australia BigPond ISP limitation). Other people have to set it to 512. (Note this is an advanced task in windows, you have to google around for a while and try and work out what it is in the registry you need to change to force the MTU to be set to a lower value).

Note that setting the MTU in the router wasn't sufficient.. it was my PC that had to have the MTU changed (I was running Windows 2000).
    The MTU for an interface can sometimes be changed with utlility software supplied with the network card, or alternatively within the Device Manager for that device. Check there.

Quote Originally Posted by TociTox View Post
    Hello ! Sites such as :

windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    update.microsoft.com
    download.microsoft.com

doesn't work on my computer. When I ping them, they return 127.0.0.1 (localhost). I have scanned with NOD32 3.672 Business Editions with the last virus signatures and I have no viruses. I have looked in c:\windows\system\drivers\etc\hosts and it is only one line :

127.0.0.1 localhost

I tried system restore too, no result after restoring 7 days ago. What should I do now ?
    Can you access or ping other sites like google.if yes then it Sounds like a spyware problem to me. Have you run the usual spyware programs? You might run "Hijack This" post the log here.

HOSTS file?
    Use Notepad to check entries in that file. Path to file:
    ..\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Default contents of the file is an entry for the loopback IP only: 127.0.0.1 localhost

If the MS sites have been added here, they may have been added in a way that is blocking access to them.

Just go to C:\Windows\System32 and find and register Wups2.dll

To do that, right click on it and select 'Open With' then 'Choose Program' and find C:\Windows\System32\Regsvr32.

If you choose to 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' then all you will have to do is double click on any .dll to register it.

this will Help you ?Thank you !