Thread: what is keyLogger?

what is keyLogger?

Hi,

Two time I have been hacked by a keyLogger, that I come to know from my colleague who is very well aware of this kind of Attacks and I am still being a fairly beginner with computers. So, I just want an advice about What is KeyLogger and how it Works?

Thanks in Advance.

Re: what is keyLogger?

Hi,
    Here are some key points related to KeyLogger,
    A keylogger, sometimes called a keystroke logger, is a hardware device or small program that monitors each keystroke a user types on a specific computer's keyboard. As a hardware device, a keylogger is a small battery-sized plug that serves as a connector between the user's keyboard and computer.
    As the user types, the device collects each keystroke and saves it as text in its own miniature hard drive.At a later point in time, the person who installed the keylogger must return and physically remove the device in order to access the information the device has gathered.

The worst problem with the Keylogger is mentioned below:
    A keylogger program does not require physical access to the user's computer. It can be downloaded on purpose by someone who wants to monitor activity on a particular computer.
    A keylogger program typically consists of two files that get installed in the same directory: a dynamic link library (DLL) file (which does all the recording) and an executable file (.EXE) that installs the DLL file and triggers it to work. The keylogger program records each keystroke the user types and uploads the information over the Internet periodically to whoever installed the program.
    The log file created by the keylogger can then be sent to a specified receiver. Some keylogger programs will also record any e-mail addresses you use and Web site URLs you visit.

Thanks for all your Thoughts.

lenafujii Guest

A Keylogger can be sent in numerous ways including attached to an email and/or hidden inside another file too, like a video or audio file. I've got that once.Download a good HIPs like WinPatrol or Winsonar, both freeware. I would also get a good antivirus, Avira has a freeware downloadable one that rates in the top for identification of viruses. It also can not hurt to scan with something like SpybotS&D or SuperAntispyware as well.

• A keylogger is a small hardware device which is used as a connection interface for keyboard and computer.
    • The functionality of the keyLogger is to monitors keystroke which has been typed by computer user.
    • Keyloggers is also used as surveillance tool, i.e it can be used by employers to make sure that employees are using computers only for business purposes