Thread: sata2

sata2

i want to know plz if this motherboard http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards...ll;main-full-l accept sata2 hard drive and what i need to know more (about connecting a sata2 hard, he have a jumper etc?)

Yogesh Guest

Re: sata2

Sata's transfer speed is 150mbps whereas SATA II's transfer speed is 300mbps. The motherboard that you specified ABIT AB9 QuadGT - ATX - iP965 has Sata 300 connector as given in the reviews.
    Intel ICH8R : Serial ATA-300 - connector(s): 6 x 7pin Serial ATA - 6 device(s) - RAID 0 / RAID 1 / RAID 10 / RAID 5, JMicron JMB363 : Serial ATA-300 - connector(s): 2 x 7pin external SATA - 2 device(s) - RAID 0 / RAID 1 / JBOD, ATA-133 - connector(s): 1 x 40pin IDC - 2 device(s)
    This means that this motherboard will support Sata II drives

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that SATA2 motherboards are backwards compatible with SATA drives, but SATA2 drives are not compatible with regular SATA motherboards. It probably depends on the drive though.

SATA2 is an evolution of SATA, supports some new features, faster transfer, and what not else to move towards the future.

Quote Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
    i need to know more (about connecting a sata2 hard, he have a jumper etc?)
    If your motherboard is directly supporting the Sata II connection, then no need to worry about the jumper settings. It will work properly. As far as I know, jumper settings on Sata II are only required if they are connected to Sata I motherboards.

Yogesh Guest

Yes, SATA II hard disk drives work perfectly on a motherboard having SATA I controllers. The only thing that you would need to do is set the jumper on the back of your hard drive. Some drives like those from Seagate has the jumper set by default so that the drive is forced to work on SATA I. If you remove the jumper the drive would again work as SATA II. Refer to your hard drive manual to find out the exact position of the jumper. Absolutely no doubt that your SATA II HDD would be backward compatible with SATA1.

My motherboard i see have 6 little slots named SATA1, SATA2... SATA6, and my actual drive is in SATA1, so if i buy the hard from the link (wich is SATA2 i gues) can i put it in the SATA2 slot? and need to move or remove the jumper?

and i think i can set from bios to boot from the hard i want. And i hope the new hard from link ill be recognized and i can install windows