Thread: Getting 0x8007005 error code when activating Office 2013

Getting 0x8007005 error code when activating Office 2013

So this is now getting irritating day by day. Seems like Office 2013 is trying to play with me.

I bought a new Office 2013 Suite to install it on my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop. Well the installation went fine and i can even open all its applications without any problem but when i go to Activate the program, first it asks me how i want to activate the software? There use to be an recommended option saying "I want to activate the software over the internet". I select the same but just on the next screen, i get an error message with the error code as mentioned in the title above. The complete error is something like this:

"We're sorry, something went wrong and we can't do this for you right now. Please try again later. (0x80070005)"

I am trying to do this since past 3 days but stuck at the same level. Any idea what and where is wrong?

Re: Getting 0x8007005 error code when activating Office 2013

There could be several reasons for the said error code. First of all what you need to do is make sure you are logged in as Administrator with full privileges. Now launch any office program (MS Word or Excel) by right clicking its shortcut and selecting 'Run as Administrator'. Not try activating. See if it works.

Also can you just provide me few more details like were you using any other office suite on this laptop before installing this one? If yes, did you removed the same completely ?

Yes, i was using MS Office 2007 before this i uninstalled it using the Uninstaller Tool from Microsoft. Now, thanks for your suggestion about running the application as an "Run as Administrator". I did the same but yet the same problem. Also i am the only Administrator of this account with just one user account on this system. Any other suggestions please?

As 'Honey' said above "There could be several reasons for the said error code", it is absolutely correct. Hence you will need to go through set of troubleshooting as we dont know what exactly is causing the problem. Here are few things you can go step by step and see if it works for you.

First of all try repairing the Office Suite. You can do this by following these steps:
    • Click Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
    • Click the Office program you want to repair, and then click Change.
    • Do one of the following:
      1. In Office 2010, click Repair > Continue.
      2. In Office 2013, click either Quick Repair or Online Repair.

Try to perform a Clean boot and then activate Office. In order to do clean boot, go through these steps:
    • Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.
    • On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.
    • On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.

Apart from these, here is a FAQ regarding Office 2013 Activation. See if anything helps you from here.