Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to repair corrupt JPG files ?

How to repair corrupt JPG files ?

Hi all you wise and knowledgeable people!

I have a couple of .jpg images that must have been corrupted at some point because even in thumbnail view in explorer they only show the basic image icon and not a small of the actual pic, also I am unable to get them to open with any software that I know. Does anyone know of any program that will repair corrupt .jpg images? Even a program that might slightly degrade the quality of the pic would still be worth the time to get and use. Hope someone can help with this.

Re: How to repair corrupt JPG files ?

not free but apparently the demo would still do the job for you.. and it has worked for others (a mate of mine used the demo for a "one off" rescue.. also, i suppose it depends to which extent they are damaged/corrupt..

Dr. V Guest

try renaming the files (right click on thumbnail, select rename) and making
    sure the file ends in .jpg ,, if not, add .jpg to the end of the file name sometimes if the .jpg isn't on the end of the file name, it won't show a thumbnail pic

You might be able to open the jpeg in a different viewer, like ACDSee or Irfanview. Then you can do a Save as... on it. Save it to the same name, and the corrected file overwrites the bad one.

idea Re: How to repair corrupt JPG files ?

I had a similar issue.

What happened was:

1: Stupid me deleted the wrong directory.

2: I used an "undelete" Program to recover the lost files.

3: This "brought back" the files... but also created new problem.

4: In Windows Explorer... I could "see" the thumbnail of the JPEG file... when I tried to open the image with through Windows Explorer / Windows Picture and Fax Viewer)... I kept getting an error message - something like "Drawing could not be rendered"... or something like that.

5: I tried several programs - including InfraView... but nothing worked.

WHAT DID WORK.

6: Paint Shop Pro (my version is 8). I opened PSP (not Photoshop)... selected the Browse option, navigated to the sub-directory that had the "recovered files".

7: I double-clicked on the image - AND IT OPENED.

8: I immediately saved the image back onto itself. (You might consider saving it somewhere else... the file I was over-writing was already a copy of the original).

9: Returning to Windows Explorer - I could now open the image with Picture and Fax Viewer.

OF COURSE... THERE ARE ALWAYS ISSUES.

10: Eventhough the image was recovered (THANK GOD AND THANK YOU PAINT SHOP PRO)... I noticed (at the bottom of every re-saved image) a grey line / bar (spanning the width of the image) about 10 pixels tall. But (for me) that was acceptible.

Hope this helps.

use Jpeg recovery tools

JPEG-Recovery.

I tried 10 different jpg recovery tools, but iI wanted to REPAIR a half picture or something wrong with it. But all programs drag every pic out of the memorycard.
    And they were still broken...
    Untill I found.

The cheapest was best, found 1200 pic´s that was broken in other prgms.
    saved them open in photoshop and save again. Voila done

I am having a problem with recovering some pictures for a camera memory card. I can recover the deleted file and when I open the directory I can see all of the thumbnails for a brief moment and then some of them will change to a gray picture. I can open the jpg, but it is all gray except for a little bit of the picture across the top.

I feel like that the picture must actually be there as I can see it for a second or two as all of the thumbnails in the directory are updated, but then some or many of the thumbnails will become gray.

Is there a way to keep the thumbnails from turning gray?

jpeg files might not be the original if you recovered them. Some softwares, such as for eMail, made temporary copies when sending, and only sent half. JPEG Recovery is a handy tool to repair corrupted JPEG picture or photo which is restored by a photo or data recovery software. JPEG Recovery supports combining 2 JPEG pictures for recovery, just in case the original picture was split into 2 files by the photo or data recovery software.

Hey Revolution. Did you find any other solutions to your problem?
    I have the same issue. I can see the thumbnails but not able to open file.
    Same as you had recovered deleted files.
    I just can find the Paint Shop Pro 8 any more.
    Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Hi Friends,

I have faced a similar issue. I had saved around 20 GB jpg files on D drive in my laptop and all these went missing. I used softwares like File Scravanger & Stellar. Recovered most of the files but 60% of it shows corrupt. I can see the thumbnails but when i double click, i get a grey image. Is there a way i can recover these corrupt files????? I visited many data recovery outlets but everyone says NOT POSSIBLE. But i still have hopes...........Sentiments attached to the photos Please assist if anyone has any similar experience...

Regards,
    Candida

Can anyone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me???

Hi Candida,

Can you tell us whether you have tried opening it in a web browser? You may be able to get around it that way, then do a save image to make a new copy. Also check to make sure it's really a jpg. Sometimes, if a pic is given a different extension than whatever type it really is, it'll be considered corrupt. Have you tried to change its file extension from jpg to jpeg or png?

I have discovered my precious holiday photos on a USB corrupted. I have tried several demo repair software and they have all been unsuccessful with error messages such as file can't repair as important marker missing. I have tried the datarescue previously suggested however the files that come up are blank with the extensions .gif; .bad and .ole. Does this mean they are gone forever?

The original 2GB memory card that I deleted them from thinking they were safe on the USB has been filled again with new photos. Is there anyway of recovering them from the memory card even though it has been overwritten? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Curruption in JPEG file is a very common phenomenon which leads to accessibility of pictures. I have faced many of such situation where I need to perform JPEG recovery due to accidental deletion or corruption in JPEG file. Most often I use Remo recovery tool for this purpose. It is very easy to use, have rich graphical user interface and works very fast.

ddpatientaction Guest

I am having a difficulty with recovering some films for a camera memory card. I can recover the delete file and when I open the directory I can see all of the thumbnails for a brief moment and then some of them will change to a gray picture. I can open the jpg, but it is all gray except for a little bit of the picture across the top. Some software’s, such as for email, made temporary copies when sending, and only sent half. JPEG Recovery is a handy tool to repair corrupted JPEG picture or photo which is restored by a photo or data recovery software. JPEG Recovery supports combining 2 JPEG pictures for recovery, just in case the original picture was split into 2 files by the photo or data recovery software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast