Thread: cannot start in Safe Mode

cannot start in Safe Mode

I use Windows XP and I cannot start in Safe Mode. After pressing F8 & selecting Safe Mode the pc starts to load driver files, reboots and presents the following message with "Start Windows normally" highlighted.

"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding,restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files or folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked. If a previous startup attempt was interropted due to the Power or Reset Button was pressed or if you aren't sure what caused the problem chose "Start Windows Normally"

Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking Safe Mode with Command Prompt Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use your up & down arrow keys to move the hightlight of your choice" Selecting Safe Mode brings be back to this message

Selecting Last Known Good configuration starts Windows normally but if I later attempt to start in Safe Mode I'm back to this message.

Similarly if I start Windows Normally, Windows starts up ok but attempting to start in safe Mode later brings me back to this message.

Sytem restore doesn't help as which ever restoint point I use I eventually, when trying to start in Safe Mode, end back at this message.

Any ideas please?

Re: cannot start in Safe Mode

If windows won't even run in safe mode, considering the basic environment that it is, you should probably just do a repair install. Put in your windowsXP cd, and boot your computer to it. Choose to setup windows, and then pick the repair install (not repair with recovery console). If you have a branded PC with a recovery disc, or other recovery method, then try using that to restore your PC, if it offers a non-destructive or repair-type reovery option.

Thank you. Strangely Windows works perfectly well in normal mode it just doesn't start in safe mode. I am anxious not to reinstall windows as for some reason it buggers up my ISP - BT-yahoo broadband. They do know about the problem & the only advice thet give is to format the drive & do a clean installation.

I do have the Windows XP cd but am a little worried about trying the repair install route in case of a possible effect on my broadband

The repair install *shouldn't* affect it.

Right, and the only thing he would need to do after this is to re-install
    the updates and perhaps other software he had.

thanks guys, I'll think about a repair installation; however as the pc starts in normal mode, it being only safe mode which doesn't work, I may stay as I am pro tem