Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Emptying DLL cache and Prefetch folders?

Windows Software

Old 25-10-2008

Emptying DLL cache and Prefetch folders?

I have a dll cache folder of 474MB in \system32 and one of 88MB in \LastGood\System 32. Also a much smaller Prefetch folder. Can I safely delete the contents of these? Will these fill up again if I do and what are the advantages or otherwise of doing so?

Old 25-10-2008

Re: Emptying DLL cache and Prefetch folders?

NO.....You can not delete the dllcache. They are a part of the Windows File Protection. Normally they are compressed to save some space. If they are not compressed....make them.
Old 25-10-2008

If you delete the dllcache folder, Windows File Protection will kick in and replace the files you deleted.
Old 25-10-2008

NO.....Since Windows File Protection is depending on dllcache to be able to make copies to replace deleted files this will not work. If dllcache is deleted there is nothing to make copies from! Result of that is that you can not replace a defect/deleted file that neads to be replaced. There is reasons for why MS has put some files and folders as Hidden and by default not show them.
Old 25-10-2008

I like Notepad+ instead of notepad. I rename Notepad+.exe to Notepad.exe, and drop it into the dllcache folder. Windows replaces my version with the version in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , ,