Thread: Vista's file/folder stacks and tags in XP?

oaprograms Guest

Vista's file/folder stacks and tags in XP?

I've heard there's a new feature in Vista where you can add custom tags to every file or folder. I think this could be very very useful way to organize files, since folder hierarchy is not always enough. I feel I needed this feature a million times before. Vista doesn't attract me so much, so I'm wondering if there's any software solution to simulate this in XP.

Have a look here: http://search.techrepublic.com.com/s...ductivity.html

There seems to be many choices that you would like.

We can do this by right-clicking a file, selecting Properties, and then selecting the Summary tab. Here we have the option of adding all kinds of information: title, subject, author, category, keywords, and comments.

Why do you want to use custom tag? Are you facing any problems while searching files or folders? "Everything" will help you in such case. Look at here:

How to Locate files and folders by name instantly

Check this link http://tag-rename.vista-files.org/

it will help you to add custom tags to every file.

oaprograms Guest
    Hmmm, nothing exactly what I was looking for. These programs can set the tags only for a certain file types, like MP3. I even think XP makes it impossible to set the tags for folders or general file types at all, in a way for them to be written directly where file is stored. The only way would be to have a special program with a database which would contain each file's path and tags. But if a file is moved anywhere, this info wouldn't work anymore. So I don't know how it would be solved. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't need this for searching, only for a way to attach additional info and organize some large file collections, by making a custom categories each file can belong to.

Yogesh Guest

Re: Vista's file/folder stacks and tags in XP?

tag2find will help you to carry out this tag. Its a third party application but functions very well for tagging and finding purposes and has got good reviews from users across the globe. See detailed information about this program and download link here - tag2find - Tag & Find files easily