Thread: Error cf1030af7

Error cf1030af7

Receive error when trying to expand the public store Folder by using Exchange System Manager in Exchange 2003.

NOTE: Followed directions as sepcified in http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;839744

I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks for your support.
    rfalagan

The operation failed because of an HTTP error 501 (Not implemented). Verify that the ExAdmin virtual root exists on the destination server.

Possible Causes

This error can occur if you have multiple Web sites configured and the default Web site is currently stopped. This Web site includes the associated virtual directories (exadmin, exchange, public, exchweb) that are not available when that site is stopped.
    The exadmin virtual directory is missing within IIS.

Troubleshooting

Check to see if the exadmin directory exists in IIS under the default Web site. If it does not, at a command prompt in the \inetpub\adminscripts folder, type cscript adsutil.vbs delete ds2mb and press ENTER. This will remove the information from the metabase. Restart the System Attendant service to get this information repopulated in IIS.

Error ID number: c1030af8

Error Message

The operation failed due to HTTP error 501

Possible Causes

This error can occur if there is another service taking up port 80.

Troubleshooting

Run fport.exe 80 to find the offending service and either disable it or change its port number.

I would start with recreating the virtual directories.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=883380

After resetting the virtual directories did you make any changes to the virtual directories at all?

What else is on the machine?

I had a similar problem where I would get an error with the ESM. What I did to resolve the problem was to add a new header to the default site with only the servers name. After that I was able to browse and create public folders. I also renabled SSL on it so its secure.

Expertz -

How do you create a new header under the default web site ?. Do you mean a virtual directory with the server's name ...

How do you renable SSL.

Thanks,
    rf

There are a variety of VisualBasic scripts that come with IIS, and can be found in the Inetpub/AdminScripts folder. Most notably, look for a script called adsutil.vbs, which allows you to create web pages and virtual directories, among other things. However, be warned that these utilities will NOT automatically overwrite existing web pages or virtual directories, and that getting and setting individual IIS settings will be very tedious. Since I had some pretty stringent usage requirements for my project, I did not choose to go this route, but it would be an easy route to take if you are not too picky about creating and modifying individual settings.

If you choose to program your own methods, definitely look up the IIS programmatic administration guide, especially the IIS metabase reference. In a nutshell, you should find the following objects and methods:

IISComputer - represents all IIS settings (web services, ftp, smtp, etc) on your machine
    IISWebService - represents the world wide web publishing service
    IISWebServer - represents a web site
    IISWebVirtualDir - represents a virtual directory/application
    IISWebService.CreateSite - creates a new web site!
    IISWebServer.Start - starts a newly created site
    IISWebServer.Create ("IISWebVirtualDir", vDirName) - creates a new virtual directory
    IISWebVirtualDir.AppCreate - turns a virtual dir into an application

If you want to use VisualBasic to create your custom scripts, this should be sufficient. Personally, I decided to go all out and implement some custom IIS utilities using the .NET Framework (I'm a big .NET fanboy, so I couldn't resist). In that case, you should definitely check out the DirectoryEntry class of the DirectoryServices namespace.

Also, I found it very worthwhile to download the free IIS Metabase Explorer to take a look at the settings and internal workings of IIS in much more detail than the Windows IIS Manager will let you.

Last, but not least, some words of caution:
    Windows XP does not support multiple web pages. Although the IIS API will let you create a new web site and virtual directory, there is no way that I know of for you to actually use the new site. Actually, if you attempt to call the CreateSite method or a site's Start method, the function will crap out on you if you're using Windows XP, since XP doesn't support them!