Thread: Typinator 3.2 speeds up FileMaker development

Typinator 3.2 speeds up FileMaker development

Ergonis Software today announced the release of Typinator 3.2, the latest version of its highly acclaimed tool for auto-typing text and auto-correcting typos. Typinator 3.2 will particularly intrigue FileMaker developers since it comes with a predefined snippets set containing over 350 abbreviations for all FileMaker 9 functions.

With Typinator, FileMaker developers realize an unprecedented increase of productivity. Function names together with their parameters can now be inserted ultra-fast by typing a short abbreviation instead of tediously searching for them via popup-menu and long lists.

The new version also improves compatibility with OpenOffice and NeoOffice, Apple’s Mail, and BlueJ, and adds a number of other improvements. Refinements in the English autocorrection dictionaries avoid undesirable replacements in other languages. Visit Ergonis Software’s website to learn more about all changes in the release and to download and try the new version.

“Being a FileMaker developer myself, I always found it cumbersome to manually type the long function names into calculation fields. Why? I usually make typos when I type the long function name, and I often don’t know the correct order of the parameters. On the other hand, I hate to navigate through the popup menu and then have to choose the required function from the long list of functions,” said Christoph Reichenberger, founder and CEO of Ergonis Software. “With the new predefined FileMaker functions set in Typinator, I just have to type an easy-to-remember abbreviation, and Typinator will expand this abbreviation to the full function call including the parameter list. This is particularly useful for all Get functions, where you normally have to switch to the proper category before you can select the desired function from the list.”

Paul Spafford, FileMaker 8 and 9 Certified developer of Spafford Data Solutions and member of the FileMaker Business Alliance said: “Typinator is a huge time-saver. With Typinator’s FileMaker abbreviations installed, I find myself doing far less jumping between my mouse and my keyboard and I waste almost no time scrolling through the long lists of functions to find the one I need. This saves time for me, and will ultimately save money for my clients. Typinator is a very cool app that pays off within days, and best of all - it is useful not only in FileMaker but in so many other contexts as well!”

Typinator is a powerful, yet elegantly simple solution that works across all applications to detect specific sequences of typed characters and automatically replace them with text snippets, graphics, URLs, dates and special characters.

For business users, Typinator leads to a layer of operational consistency and productivity across heterogeneous applications. A standard customer service response, a signature image on an email, a clause in a contract - each of these can be inserted in any application with just a couple of keystrokes. For technical users, Typinator automates typing of code and the implementation of documentation standards.

Typinator 3.2 requires Mac OS X version 10.4 or newer, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is recommended. Visit Ergonis Software’s website to learn more about the changes in the release and to download and try the new version.

Typinator can be purchased securely on the Ergonis Software website. The upgrade to Typinator 3.2 is free for anyone who purchased Typinator in the last 2 years.

Download

Typinator 3.2 on the scene, users can benefit from the following enhancements:

• Predefined set for FileMaker developers provides shortcuts for all FileMaker 9 functions.
    • Works around a problem in OpenOffice and NeoOffice that caused Typinator to insert the previous contents of the clipboard.
    • Works around an inconsistency in Apple Mail's handling of line ends.
    • Improved internal technique for definition of application-specific exceptions.
    • Refinements in the English dictionaries avoid undesirable replacements in other languages.
    • Improves compatibility with BlueJ, where the clipboard was sometimes inserted instead of an expansion.
    • Now includes the "Application Settings" command in the Action and status menus.
    • Improved technique for adding predefined sets.