Thread: windows vista dvd problems...

windows vista dvd problems...

just bought a new pc (hp pavilion slimline) with vista premium, geforce graphics and all is fine exept one thing, i cant get dvds to play with widows media centre or anything else.

all I get is a message about, somthing else may be using the dvd or i should reduce the resolution. and i have tried both to no avail.

it does play dvd's ive recorded on my dvd recorder and my holiday dvd's but not those ive bought legitimatly.

in all honesty i dont care about watching dvd's on my pc but i just want to know what the problem is

Vista won't find your ripped DVDs unless you give it a helping hand. Here's how to point it in the right direction... forcefully.

Open Registry Editor (Start, Run, REGEDIT) and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DvdSettings

Double-click the key ShowGallery and change the value from “Play” to “Gallery”.

Click OK and exit the Editor. If you’ve got Media Center open, you’ll need to shut it down and re-launch it. Now, under “TV + Movies”, the “Play DVD” option is now “DVD Library”. DVDs will still play as normal though – just insert the disc and the movie will auto-load.Select this option.

Apart from a couple of trailers there won’t be any content. Right-click or hit the “i” (More) button on the MCE remote, and select “Add Movies” and then “Add folders on this computer” (or whichever option is appropriate).
    Click “Add folder to watch” and navigate to the folder which contains the local DVD files. The best structure to have is a top-level root folder, and then subfolder for each DVD title. Put a tick next to the top-level folder, and then click Next.

Vista will automatically scan and recognise the contents of the folder and populate the DVD Library. Select any title, and it will play it as if it was a standard DVD.

As with DVD file playback on XP MCE 2005, each DVD title found doesn’t have a visual representation.

To enable this, simply do a quick Google Image search for the title, find an appropriate DVD cover and save it to the subfolder containing the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders – make sure you save the image as “Folder.jpg”. Go back into the DVD Library and the DVDs will have the appropriate image assigned to them.

If all of this seems like too much hard work, try installing My Movies. It achieves the same results as the process I’ve outlined above, but has a very useful Collection Management program which helps keep all your DVDs in order, and grabs all the relevant movie information, including cover art, from an online resource. Best of all, it’s free!

VIA : apcmag

are you using Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Business, or Windows Vista Enterprise? If so, DVD playback isn’t included with the operating system. Only Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate include DVD playback.

If you’re not running Home Premium or Ultimate, you can follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click System and Maintenance.
    3. Click Windows Anytime Upgrade.

The Windows Anytime Upgrade window appears. You can view your current edition of Windows in the upper-right corner. Click the Upgrade link, click Begin upgrade process, and then follow the prompts that appear. If you have your Vista setup DVD, you can upgrade immediately (every Vista setup DVD contains every edition of Vista). Otherwise, you’ll need to order a DVD and wait for that to appear

If you are running Home Premium or Ultimate and you still can’t play a DVD, you probably have some DVD playback software installed that’s not compatible with Windows Vista (like, say, an older version of PowerDVD, WinDVD, VLC Media Player, etc). Try upgrading whichever you’re using to a Vista-compatible version.

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.
    the driver is updated 256mb onboard via chrome9
    and my vista is home premuim 64bit