Thread: Movie Maker/DVD Maker Insanity

Movie Maker/DVD Maker Insanity

Have been living a MM and DVD Maker Vista nightmare for over a week.

I also just tried to preview my first post when BAM! It disappeared. Don't think it posted but who knows. If it did, please excuse this re-write and re-rant.

Hanging by a thread here. Dog hasn't been on a walk in 2 days.....

DVD Maker crashes at 99%. ALL files are .wmv and imported from MM (which is giving me headaches too).

DVD maker will burn a few vids at a time...but when I load it with all 32 music videos (110 minutes and only a few transitions/effects/etc)----preview looks great, burn on medium and end up with "DVD maker stopped working" (no explanation, error code) at 99%. Nothing referenced in error log/problems.

Have checked problems/solutions/suggestions--nothing has worked. For last 4 days I have read/scanned/searched every post and article I could find on both MM and DVD maker problems. Feel like I "know" Papa John, John Izner etc.....have tried all suggestions and the problem remains. No "iac..." file, have tried the "untick all options" in MM, no indeo codecs or other problems I've read about.

Vista 32, new HP multimedia laptop, plenty of room, up to date drivers etc.

Can't believe I even know what these things mean--codecs, containers- blah, blah. I just wanna make a music dvd for my daughter's birthday----I'll be lucky to get it done before her next birthday.

Desperate and on the edge. Can anyone help?

Melissa in Maine

Recover your computer if it's pretty cluttered up. Than apply all recommended and important updates for your copy of windows. Then go to www.free-codecs.com and get the vista codec pack the latest version. It should be the second mirror on the free-codecs site. If u can't find it there then google it. If u have an uncluttered, updated copy of windows plus an ultimate codec pack made just for windows vista, the encoding will go much smoother and faster and guarantee a 99.99 percent success rate. And it'll also fix the upside down problem that dvd maker has. And that's it, hopefully that works. Good Luck.

I have some quick hints for you. Get rid of Nero - it isnt ready for Vista yet and causes more problems than its worth. Get rid of any codec packs you may have installed completely and install the latest ones.

I use to have heaps of problems with this application but now virtually none and now that I have changed my media to a descent manufacturer. I get no more fails at 99% either.

I can just about burn any avi/dvd in any codec within reason.

Happy hunting.

pcgeek Guest

hey

hey wow that is awesome mate :good goin!

These problems generally because of hardware. Firmware upgrade will help these problems.

The update for HP computers is at - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...s=2093&lang=en

This particular link is under HPM7760N computer updates but applies to all HP computers with Intel Viiv and Vista Home Premium or Ultimate (32-bit).

Thanks to everyone who responded....I did the Vista Codec/Gspot/Tweaker/K-Lite fixes and then uninstalled them---didn't fix problem and created quite a few more.

Also had been to the HP site but the message is that my system is not compatable for that upgrade....huh?

Don't have Nero so that's not a problem...finally broke down and bought Adobe Premiere Elements....and have been cryin' ever since. Think the tech support guy needs to move in with me....he doesn't "get" the crashes and error messages either.

Contacted HP...did some minor system tweaks but problems seem to remain. Too many "fault modules" to list them. Will probably be forced to re-install OEM......then the programs and updates added since.

Could Registry Booster (which cleans registry) be the culprit? OR....wonder if, when I tried the Download Driver/Updater from Uniblue and it messed with my NVIDIA....maybe therein lies the problem. Tried rolling back drivers.

Thanks anyway....prefer movie maker's simplicity--if anyone has anymore ideas I would appreciate them.

Melissa