Thread: Windows XP Realtek Audio

Windows XP Realtek Audio

Just recently, I was being ignorant and uninstalling programs from my computer that i recognized. I must have accidentally uninstalled my Realtek Audio program, because now when i run iTunes, I get an error talking about problems with my audio configuration. Additionally, when I try to play my songs, they don't play at all. I want to know how I can retrieve my program. If you require any additional program, please ask, and thanks in advance.

Just a little more information, I went and looked up some information. My computer currently says that my sound driver, C-Media AC-97 Audio Device cannot run because of error code 10. This is probably because i accidentally uninstalled the program itself, so I would be grateful if you could tell me how to get it back.
    Last edited by farran; 14-10-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: adding information

This is a common problem, but here's the answer and solution.

Windows detects the sound device as cmedia ac97 audio device, but actually the chipset is realtek ac97. Just download the latest ac97 realtek drivers and issue solved.

open you control panel, system, hardware, device manager, And see if there is a yellow "?" with unknown pci device. If there is right click on it and disable it. close out of here and restart have your MOB (Motherboard) disk handy when windows finds new hardware and asks for drivers have it look on the MOB CD.

When this happened to me I had to go to the mobo manufacturers site to get drivers, so that could be one possibility. Another thing you could do is check in sounds&audio devices [via control panel] and on the audio tab ensure your sound device is listed as the default playback device. If its greyed out, it's most likely mobo drivers needed.

If you got a set up disk with the computer the drivers should be on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshal View Post
    open you control panel, system, hardware, device manager, And see if there is a yellow "?" with unknown pci device. If there is right click on it and disable it. close out of here and restart have your MOB (Motherboard) disk handy when windows finds new hardware and asks for drivers have it look on the MOB CD.
    Unforunately, I don't have the slightest idea where my disks are, if I have them at all. I'll try to find the drivers online and hope for more responses.

Resolved, for now

I found a driver for Realtek AC97 online and downloaded it. After I installed and restarted, my iTunes music started playing again. I would like to thank everyone for their consideration and advice. Although this driver allows iTunes to run, I'm not sure if it will cause a fault in any other program. Hopefully, this problem is permanently resolved, and I'll focus on what I'm doing next time. Thanks everyone.