Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

moving backed up emails back into Vista

Windows Software

Old 13-10-2008

unsure moving backed up emails back into Vista

My Zone alarm and Vista didnt seem to like each other and so Zone alarm wouldn't uninstall even using Revo. I was advised to back up all my files and then do a factory restore, which I did onto an external hard disc.
I tried to use the Wizard to move the files back onto my machine but was told by the wizard that as backup had not been set up on my machine it could not do a transfer. I presume because I had reverted to a factory settings reinstall.
I can see my windows mail folder on my external hard drive. I have been able to copy and paste all my contacts and that is working well
My question to the panel is what is then the easiest way to move the messages folder back onto my machine? Can I move the whole folder and all its contents by copy & paste or can I go into the folder and just pull back the In and out box .
When I look into say the In box on my external backup I see is a winmail.fol extension. What should I be looking for and doing Guys? this is driving me nuts! Im using Vista home premium

Old 14-10-2008

Are you talking about outlook mails? Do you have Outlook installed on your Vista computer? If you don't you will not be able to do this. Basically you have to have Outlook installed on the same machine to export and re-import the file back into Vista mail.
Old 14-10-2008

smile moving backed up emails back into Vista

Hello Katty

Im using windows mail. I backed up all the emails from mail onto my hard drive before doing a factory restore. I dont have outlook.
I thought it was as easy as using the windows easy transfer but tells me I dont have a back up. I also tried using Advanced restore and it told me that on my external hard drive it doesnt find any. I can see the folder. Can I just copy and paste, and if so, where to. Grateful for your input.
Old 14-10-2008
Yogesh

If you have made a backup copy of your Outlook Express mail filters, you can recover them from the saved file. It can require some work but in the end you'll have a new Windows Mail with all your old mail rules.

Restore Windows Mail Rules

To recover or import your Windows Mail email filters from a backup copy:
  • Double-click on "Mail Rules.reg" in Windows Explorer.
  • Click Yes.
  • Click OK.
Old 15-10-2008

unsure moving backed up emails into Vista

now I am confused. I am using Windows Mail on Vista. I assumed this was different to Outlook express. Is it? and if so, what do I have to do. Thanks
Old 15-10-2008

The backup email messages must be having .eml extension. I dont know about .fol extension but I have done with this type of extension. If your email messages are in this type of extension any where then just drag and drop those .eml files to Windows mail. It is not a good practice to store emails in the default folders. Create folders in Windows mail and carry out the said task.

Best of Luck
Old 15-10-2008
Yogesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy green View Post
now I am confused. I am using Windows Mail on Vista. I assumed this was different to Outlook express. Is it? and if so, what do I have to do. Thanks
That was the rule for restoring the backed up mails in Windows mail that I found out. Although its written Outlook express there, I feel some or most of the procedures must be same for Outlook and Windows mail. Just carry out the procedure mentioned and see if it works.
Old 15-10-2008
Yogesh

The restoring procedure I mentioned earlier was however for restoring backup that was carried out using the below given procedure:
  • Go to your Windows mail settings in the Windows registry.

• Open the Rules key.

• Click on the Mail key.

• Select File | Export... from the menu.

• Change the location to the directory where you want to keep the backup copy of your Outlook Express mail rules.

• Type "Mail Rules" in the File Name box.

• Make sure Registration Files (*.reg) is selected under Save as type:.

• Make sure Selected branch is chosen under Export range

• Click Save.

If you have not backed up in this way, get some idea through this to determine how to restore mails in Windows mail as given earlier.

PS: I am not much into Windows Mail, so cant tell you exactly what must be...

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: