Thread: Spell check problem with one received document in Word 2007

Spell check problem with one received document in Word 2007

Hello,

I recently installed Office 2007 and had no problem with the spell check. I recently received a document from a client in which the spell check doesn't work. I copied a section from another document into it, and the spell check works on that paragraph only. I use a French version of Word and when I go into the "Révision" tab (6th from the left, but I don't know what it is in English, sorry) and click on "Définir la langue" ("choose language" maybe?), the box "ne pas vérifier l'orthographe et la grammaire" (something like: "do not check spelling or grammar") remains checked even if I uncheck it. This however is not the case for the one paragraph I copied from another document. Can anyone help me? I'm getting desperate, I have to send my work back to my client tomorrow and can't send it full of typos.

Thanks in advance,

Vedalia

I think some of the words dont get translated from french to english. So you might need a french tutor to translate those words for you I guess

I think that it's a Word problem. See if this helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240204

Yogesh Guest
    The problem lies with the infamous 'hidden spelling markers' that Word inserts in documents to make spell checking more efficient.

To remove all the hidden spell check codes in a Word 2007 document, do the following:
    1. Press Ctrl+A to select all the text in your document

2. Select the "Review" tab on Word 2007’s ribbon (sorry, cannot advice you what would be in french)

3. Click on the "Set Language" button (circled in red above)

4. Click the "Do not check spelling or grammar" box twice (first to remove the green highlighting and again to remove the check mark that shows up after the first click).

5. If two languages are set in one document, choose the language you prefer by clicking on one or the other

6. Click 'OK'

From then on, Word 2007 properly highlights misspelled words (with the squiggly red lines) grammar errors (with the squiggly green lines) and spell checking works just fine. Well, until it gets futzed-up again that is

Dear Yogesh A,

I already tried all you suggested about a hundred times, and it still wouldn't work. The check in the box returned every time. However, after fiddling around with Advanced Options in Word Options for an entirely different reason (it was the "cut, copy and paste section", I think), the spell check miraculously began to work again. Go figure. My client also advised me to copy the text of my Word document into an email and send it to myself, then copy it into a new Word document, which erases any weird formating that was blocking the spell check. I tried this as well (before everything fell back into order), and it worked too.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Vedalia

Outlook Express Spell Check Disabled in Office 2007

I installed a new PC yesterday for a State Welcome center that came with the new office 2007 programs. After a day the staff asked me why their Outlook spell checking was working for French only. “Sacre bleu”, I said after throwing in some Francais and noting that only the English words were listed as “wrong”. Noting the CDs boldly proclaimed “made in Canada” I first thought “ha - it’s those pesky Quebecois poking fun at Les Americains, oui? NON! After the typical 5 minutes of surfing anywere but Microsoft.com to find answers about Microsoft product defects, to my amazement I read this note from MS
    -----------------------------
    Mathew Hadley

Yogesh Guest
    Yes, coping the text from the 'Word' document to another 'Word' resolves the spell check issues as well as many other issues regarding features and editing options that were blocked in the original document. However I didn't advice you this procedure earlier coz I thought it would be a long process (and was kept to advice later) and moreover I didn't knew that you had already tried the procedure I mentioned. The method of coping the text to email and then from email to another 'Word' was new to me. Thank you for sharing this knowledge.

Anyways its good that your problem was solved anyhow. As it even happens to us that even we know many basic tweaks of MS Word or MS Excel, such weird things do occur and then get solved suddenly by itself . This is something strange about Microsoft and God knows what happens

problem resolved

Hi again,

I had actually tried simply copying the document into a new document, but this changed nothing. It was only by sending it in an email that it managed to clear the unwanted formatting.

Thanks again,

Vedalia