Thread: Firefox Bookmarks

Firefox Bookmarks

Just downloaded the new FireFox 3 and have decided that I like it better than IE7.
    While using IE7, i had a backup program automatically backup my favourites everyday. Now since Firefox is structured differently, I dont know how to do this or know if its even possible...

I did some testing and found out that I can just browse the bookmarks folder in the firefox directory because it doesn't include the toolbar section....

the only way that all of my bookmarks get saved is if i manually export then...

so does anyone know how i can auto export them to a specific location so that my backup software can go and back it up?

To backup your bookmarks follow the below steps
    1.Click on Bookmarks on the bar above the address bar.
    2.Click on Organize Bookmarks to get to this without the mouse use Ctrl+Shift+B
    3.Click on Import and Backup
    4.Click Backup then Save to preferred location

Have a look here for the latest tweaks & tips for Firefox 3 browser: FireFox 3 Secrets

And for the best extensions for Firefox see this: Download Best Firefox 3 Extensions

Automatically save or backup bookmarks on Firefox 3

By default each time Firefox is closed, it backups your bookmarks automatically to C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profile name]\bookmarks.bak. To restore, just rename to bookmarks.html.

thanks shen, seems like your advice will be the one that helps me .......however, when i rename to a .html and try to import then to ie7 because i dont want to mess up my firefox setup.....it says that its not a valid bookmark file...

but how about this...for my purposes, i would want to back up all of my firefox settings, so like plugins and bookmarks and links and everything, would this work? ---->

if i backup the firefox folder from program files as well as the firefox folder from application data. then if i have to reformat my computer or something, i can just install firefox, start it up once, and then go and replace the new firefox folders with the ones i back up?
    Last edited by BD14; 30-09-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Hello BD14, can you explain me how did you renamed that file? And how are you importing those bookmarks to Internet Explorer 7?

if i backup the firefox folder from program files as well as the firefox folder from application data. then if i have to reformat my computer or something, i can just install firefox, start it up once, and then go and replace the new firefox folders with the ones i back up?
    Yes, you can do that. There is no harm in this.

when i renamed it, i just right click, and renamed to a .html and it changed to an html file, but when i went to import into ie7 (i went file>import>and followed the wizard) it jsut said invalid..

but if my other idea will work and just copy the program files and application data folders, ill do that since it will take all of my settings as well

thanks