Thread: Windows Experience Index in Windows Vista

Windows Experience Index in Windows Vista

I have heard that Windows Experience Index is a new feature built into Windows Vista. Can you help me as to what is the use of this feature and how to use it? I am asking so because I just want to know about it as I am running Vista on my system.

According to Microsoft, the "Windows Experience Index" feature in Vista is designed to help you better understand how well Windows Vista and other software will perform on your PC.

Your computer, running Windows Vista, is assigned a rating number called a "base score" that is achieved by measuring the capability of your computer's hardware configuration. This base score rating will help you to more confidently buy additional hardware, programs, and software that are matched to your computer's base score.

The scale of the Windows Experience Index ranges from 1.0 to 5.9. A higher base score generally means that your computer will perform better and faster than a computer with a lower base score, especially when performing more advanced and resource-intensive tasks.

For example, if your computer has a base score of 3.3, then you can confidently purchase any software designed for your edition of Windows Vista that requires a computer with a base score of 3.0 or lower.

Here are some Base score definitions as explained by windowsvistablog.

Base Score Level: 1.0 – 1.9
    Applications and Scenarios: Basic performance. Productivity applications, IM, web, email, simple games - like Solitaire, educational games.
    Description: Minimum specification needed to run Windows Vista™.

Base Score Level: 2.0 – 2.9
    Applications and Scenarios: Improved responsiveness. Same applications as a base score of 1.0 – 1.9.
    Description: PCs will run Windows Vista but in most cases will not be Aero capable.

Base Score Level: 3.0-3.9
    Applications and Scenarios: Aero graphics, Media Center with standard definition TV, basic graphical games, basic performance while running high-end graphical games.
    Description: Minimum specification needed to run Windows Vista Premium features, including the new Aero user interface.

Base Score Level: 4.0 – 4.9
    Applications and Scenarios: Snappy performance, high definition video, high resolution monitors, dual monitors.
    Description: Very good performing PCs.

Base Score Level: 5.0 – 5.9
    Applications and Scenarios: Fast moving games with amazingly rich graphics, 3D modeling, high-end multimedia and high performance applications.
    Description: Top end of the PC market for the Vista time frame.