Thread: MS Project Calculated Fields- adding text

Post MS Project Calculated Fields- adding text

Good Afternoon

I have one question:

I have 2 columns, one is Name and other is Custom Field. Both have some text inside. Like in field Name: xxxx and in Cuestom Field yyyy

I made third, new Custom Field1, and I have need to have in that field xxxxyyyy as result of summary of Name and Custom Field - combined together.

How i can do that?

Thanks for advice upfront!

You can combine the two fields and show the result in the third field using Formula on Customize Fields.

Hope this helps you.

Post Thanks, but is not working on "Name" Field.....

Respectable, thanks, I know for solution you proposed: I am searching for advanced one.
    To be precise Problem is wider than it looks in the first place.

We are inserting stand- alone Project files to Master Project file and Construction Master Project file.
    Stand -alone projects have columns shown in the same way as Master Project file, but different in Construction Master Project file.

In Stand- alone project files, in "Name" Field we have titles as "ACL-08-159-100", and in custom field named "Project Description" we have titles as "Rewiring Bldg.128".
    Same columns are shown in Master Project file, used for analyzing the projects...

Differently, in Construction Master Schedule, we would be glad to show in one field (another custom field named "Project Name") combination of both fields with value: "ACL-08-159-100 Rewiring Bldg.128".
    That is easy task: we added custom field, and used formula adding field [Name]&[Project Desription].

When we hide field Name and Project Description and show Project Name it looks good, but....we cannot do anything with that field. It is just a text field, and we need field that have same abbilities as Name field - to expand and collapse views to different levels, and we are not able to.

So that is a problem: can any Text or other field be set-up as "Name" field, so we can use it in same way?

Thank you for your effort.

Do you want to say that you are having difficulty with Project Name field? You can't add or delete its content; or change the alignment (view) of that field? Please correct me if I am wrong.

MS Project 2007 - Task Name Field

Quote Originally Posted by BiGMaCHiNe View Post
    Do you want to say that you are having difficulty with Project Name field? You can't add or delete its content; or change the alignment (view) of that field? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Hello....
    I would like to have Custom Field that have same abbilities as Task Name Field (that opens originally in MS Project 2007). Custom Field I made is combination of values of Task Name field, and another Custom Field, but only I have is a text.
    I can't click to that field and expand/collapse the project as I can in Task Name field.

Is it any way that I can "transfer" behaviour / abbilities of Task name field to any other Custom Field?

That is main problem.

Thank you.