Thread: Lost menus and toolbars in IE7

churchado Guest

Exclamation Lost menus and toolbars in IE7

HI,

I just downloaded and installed the IE8 beta and before doing so saved a System Restore Point. I have now restored back to the point before IE8 was installed and find that I have lost all menus, toolbars, tabs etc on IE7.

How do I get them back? I have tried reinstalling IE7 with no success.

It happened to me a while back after installing Adobe Acrobat Pro. The menu bar would be checked in tools and not show up. Acrobat pro puts its own toolbar in IE7, so go to tools, then toolbars, and enable Adobe PDF. Then uncheck menu bar. Now the check goes away. then re-enable menu bar, and it re-appears and uncheck Adobe.

Bringing the Menus to the Top in IE7

In the IE7 Preview the UI element that hosts menus and 3rd party toolbars is located between the navigation bar and tabs. However, in this release there's a registry key which you can set to move this to the top of the window instead:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]
    "ITBar7Position"=dword:00000001You can also turn off the menu auto-hide functionality by checking Tools -> Toolbars -> Classic Menus from the Command Bar.

Disclaimer: This is not an official feature at this time and may not be available in the future.

One minor request: If you think you want to use this key please try it both ways with your toolbars and menus configured how you like them, especially if you use the Links bar and 3rd party toolbars. Also, yes I'm very aware that some people who previously did heavy toolbar customization in IE6 have concerns about the customizability of IE7. I hope this will help a bit, but if you just came here to flame please make it constructive. That will maximize your chances of getting heard. Ok, that's two requests. :-)

Source: blogs.msdn.com

Hi,

1. Right click on the gray area next to the tabs (If you have one) or a blank area at the top

2. Then, you'll find the "Menu Bar" and just click it and it'll appear
    Or if you don't want it to say there all the time but just for once use then you could click "Alt", which is next to the spacebar and after you use the Menu Bar it'll disappear

You could turn on other functions from that list like "Links" and "Status Bar"

Does that help?

churchado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ZACHARY View Post
    Bringing the Menus to the Top in IE7

In the IE7 Preview the UI element that hosts menus and 3rd party toolbars is located between the navigation bar and tabs. However, in this release there's a registry key which you can set to move this to the top of the window instead:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]
    "ITBar7Position"=dword:00000001You can also turn off the menu auto-hide functionality by checking Tools -> Toolbars -> Classic Menus from the Command Bar.

Disclaimer: This is not an official feature at this time and may not be available in the future.

One minor request: If you think you want to use this key please try it both ways with your toolbars and menus configured how you like them, especially if you use the Links bar and 3rd party toolbars. Also, yes I'm very aware that some people who previously did heavy toolbar customization in IE6 have concerns about the customizability of IE7. I hope this will help a bit, but if you just came here to flame please make it constructive. That will maximize your chances of getting heard. Ok, that's two requests. :-)

Source: blogs.msdn.com
    I had a look and can only find ITBar7Layout - no ItBar7position

churchado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodot View Post
    Hi,

1. Right click on the gray area next to the tabs (If you have one) or a blank area at the top

2. Then, you'll find the "Menu Bar" and just click it and it'll appear
    Or if you don't want it to say there all the time but just for once use then you could click "Alt", which is next to the spacebar and after you use the Menu Bar it'll disappear

You could turn on other functions from that list like "Links" and "Status Bar"

Does that help?
    No, I get nothing with right clicks except choices to minimise the window

churchado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by churchado View Post
    HI,

I just downloaded and installed the IE8 beta and before doing so saved a System Restore Point. I have now restored back to the point before IE8 was installed and find that I have lost all menus, toolbars, tabs etc on IE7.

How do I get them back? I have tried reinstalling IE7 with no success.
    I want to clarify that I get absolutely nothing at the top of IE7 apart from the address bar and a google toolbar - all other menus (IE Tools, favorites, history and tabs have gone.

If you want better answers for IE7 questions please see:

In a newsreader:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...plorer.general

On the web:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities...plorer.general

Try pressing F11 (toggles between full/normal screen), mothers computer did the same thing, went into full screen mode after a crash, she was paniking until I showed her the problem.