Thread: disable internet explorer on remote pc

disable internet explorer on remote pc

Hi all, i am trying to disable ie on a remote computer on my office lan. My colleague can be a lazy *&%$ and I need to stop him looking at the internet all day! (without him realising i'm doing it). Someone I spoke to told me to use mmc so i open mmc\add snap-in\group policy editor then try to navigate to the remote pc I get a message which says access is denied, you may not have appropriate rights. I have created an administrator account on the remote pc so when prompted i put in ipaddress\account name\account password but keep getting this message.
    I am a novice at this stuff so go easy but i would be really grateful if anyone could help!
    Of course if anyone knows of an easier way to disable ie (and be able to re-enable it!) on the remote pc from my pc then I would love to hear it.
    Thanks in advance

Even I tried this on 1 of the computer in my network and got the same result 'access is denied'. I feel that accessing other computers in network in this way is not possible normally and needs to do some tricks on the computer that we want to access through MMC

I think accessing other computer in network through MMC is exactly like accessing it through RDP (Remote Desktop). So on that computer, the Remote Desktop should be enabled and probably the firewall should also be disabled.

Thanks guys, amazed at the quick response. I have already tried the procedure with both firewalls disabled, I have enabled remote desktop on both but still get the same problem!! Pulling my hair out here!

The other option would be to be able to run a .bat file on the remote pc. I have a .bat file which enables and disables ie but being able to run it on the other pc "silently" is proving the problem.

Whats the problem in running that .bat file on other PC, what do you mean by "silently"? Is it like you doubt that the other user will come to know that you have used the trick and would be able to disable that easily so that he/she can run IE again?