Thread: Spellcheck stops working Word 2007

Spellcheck stops working Word 2007

We are using Word 2007. We have had 4 users experience the same problem with spellcheck. It just stops working. One day it works, and the next day it doesn't. There are no error messages and nothing has been installed on the pc during the night. I have tried the solution of checking the registry for an Override folder but one does not exist on any of these pcs. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it would just stop working.

This happens in the case when some pre formatted text is copied from some other document. In such case, the original formatting gets copied in thwe word file and hence grammer and spell check does not perform their action. To avoid this, paste the text using 'Paste Special' option. In this way, the unformatted text will be copied so that the formatting of the destination is adopted.

Yogesh Guest
    For Word 2007, go to Review tab. In the Proofing group next to Thesaurus, you will see a small icon with (tick) mark. That is a Set Language icon. Click on it. Now below you'll find the option 'Select language automatically'. Uncheck it and click ok. Now again check 'Select language automatically' box, then uncheck 'Do not check spelling or grammer' box if it was already checked and then click OK.

I hope you got it
    Tell me if that solved the spell check problem.

Word 2007 and Spellcheck

That is not the case here. It doesn't work for any document created or opened. It just stopped working overnight although nothing was loaded. It won't work for any file now.

The Proofing Tools information in the Windows registry is located in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0.
    In the systems where spell check is not working, along with this registry key, you may find another subkey with 'Override' somewhere in it. For example-
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override
    Just delete this registry key and your problem will be solved.

Word 2007 and spellcheck

There was no Override key or subkey anywere in the registry on the problem pc.

Even I was encountered by such problem once. I would put wrong words and MS WORD would just ignore it. I was not knowing what to do at that time, so I just removed and installed MS Office again. The problem was solved

I know you dont want such a solution but if nothing works, go for this option. Well I an not so techie, but still trying to help coz i was once a victim of this problem .

Try it on 1 machine only and see if that solves the spell check.