Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Extend disk on a Windows 2003 cluster

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 18-06-2008
Dimitris
 
Posts: n/a
Extend disk on a Windows 2003 cluster

Hi,

I have an Exchange server 2003 active/passive cluster built on Windows
Server 2003 EE. Also, I have an HP EVA 3000 storage. Recently I added disks
to increase the available space of the disks the Exchange databases are
stored on. I know I can extend the the physical disk through the EVA and then
I can use the diskpart utility to extend the volume in the Windows.
However, somebody told me when the cluster was created they had created the
partitions using the command "create partition primary align=xxxx" in order
to align the partition with the underlying storage to improve performance, as
described in KB929491 article. Does anybody knows if I cause a problem or
performance degradation when I will extend the disk and the partition? Will
the partition misaligned?

Thank you in advance

Dimitris

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18-06-2008
Edwin vMierlo [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Extend disk on a Windows 2003 cluster



> Hi,
>
> I have an Exchange server 2003 active/passive cluster built on Windows
> Server 2003 EE. Also, I have an HP EVA 3000 storage. Recently I added

disks
> to increase the available space of the disks the Exchange databases are
> stored on. I know I can extend the the physical disk through the EVA and

then
> I can use the diskpart utility to extend the volume in the Windows.
> However, somebody told me when the cluster was created they had created

the
> partitions using the command "create partition primary align=xxxx" in

order
> to align the partition with the underlying storage to improve performance,

as
> described in KB929491 article. Does anybody knows if I cause a problem or
> performance degradation when I will extend the disk and the partition?

Will
> the partition misaligned?
>


If you use http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304736 to extend the clustered
shared disk, it will not affect your partition offset.

Rgds,
Edwin.


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18-06-2008
Dimitris
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Extend disk on a Windows 2003 cluster

Hello Edwin,

Thank you for the quick response.
I am already aware of this article but it doesn't mention anything about the
starting offset of the partition that is to be extended.
Also there is a note in the article KB929491 saying "The factors that affect
partition alignment are stripe unit size and partition starting offset" which
in my case will remain intact.
So normally I wouldn't have any problems. I just asked for a second thought.

Thanks again


"Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote:

>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an Exchange server 2003 active/passive cluster built on Windows
> > Server 2003 EE. Also, I have an HP EVA 3000 storage. Recently I added

> disks
> > to increase the available space of the disks the Exchange databases are
> > stored on. I know I can extend the the physical disk through the EVA and

> then
> > I can use the diskpart utility to extend the volume in the Windows.
> > However, somebody told me when the cluster was created they had created

> the
> > partitions using the command "create partition primary align=xxxx" in

> order
> > to align the partition with the underlying storage to improve performance,

> as
> > described in KB929491 article. Does anybody knows if I cause a problem or
> > performance degradation when I will extend the disk and the partition?

> Will
> > the partition misaligned?
> >

>
> If you use http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304736 to extend the clustered
> shared disk, it will not affect your partition offset.
>
> Rgds,
> Edwin.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18-06-2008
Tim Walsh
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Extend disk on a Windows 2003 cluster

We have an EVA4000 and have extended the disks on numerous clusters without
an issue.

"Dimitris" <Dimitris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:12AB76B8-1656-4E67-BDF0-2056D045ECD3@microsoft.com...
> Hello Edwin,
>
> Thank you for the quick response.
> I am already aware of this article but it doesn't mention anything about
> the
> starting offset of the partition that is to be extended.
> Also there is a note in the article KB929491 saying "The factors that
> affect
> partition alignment are stripe unit size and partition starting offset"
> which
> in my case will remain intact.
> So normally I wouldn't have any problems. I just asked for a second
> thought.
>
> Thanks again
>
>
> "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have an Exchange server 2003 active/passive cluster built on Windows
>> > Server 2003 EE. Also, I have an HP EVA 3000 storage. Recently I added

>> disks
>> > to increase the available space of the disks the Exchange databases are
>> > stored on. I know I can extend the the physical disk through the EVA
>> > and

>> then
>> > I can use the diskpart utility to extend the volume in the Windows.
>> > However, somebody told me when the cluster was created they had created

>> the
>> > partitions using the command "create partition primary align=xxxx" in

>> order
>> > to align the partition with the underlying storage to improve
>> > performance,

>> as
>> > described in KB929491 article. Does anybody knows if I cause a problem
>> > or
>> > performance degradation when I will extend the disk and the partition?

>> Will
>> > the partition misaligned?
>> >

>>
>> If you use http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304736 to extend the clustered
>> shared disk, it will not affect your partition offset.
>>
>> Rgds,
>> Edwin.
>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-06-2008
Dimitris
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Extend disk on a Windows 2003 cluster

Hi Tim,

Did you had those partitions aligned?

Thank you

"Tim Walsh" wrote:

> We have an EVA4000 and have extended the disks on numerous clusters without
> an issue.
>
> "Dimitris" <Dimitris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:12AB76B8-1656-4E67-BDF0-2056D045ECD3@microsoft.com...
> > Hello Edwin,
> >
> > Thank you for the quick response.
> > I am already aware of this article but it doesn't mention anything about
> > the
> > starting offset of the partition that is to be extended.
> > Also there is a note in the article KB929491 saying "The factors that
> > affect
> > partition alignment are stripe unit size and partition starting offset"
> > which
> > in my case will remain intact.
> > So normally I wouldn't have any problems. I just asked for a second
> > thought.
> >
> > Thanks again
> >
> >
> > "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > I have an Exchange server 2003 active/passive cluster built on Windows
> >> > Server 2003 EE. Also, I have an HP EVA 3000 storage. Recently I added
> >> disks
> >> > to increase the available space of the disks the Exchange databases are
> >> > stored on. I know I can extend the the physical disk through the EVA
> >> > and
> >> then
> >> > I can use the diskpart utility to extend the volume in the Windows.
> >> > However, somebody told me when the cluster was created they had created
> >> the
> >> > partitions using the command "create partition primary align=xxxx" in
> >> order
> >> > to align the partition with the underlying storage to improve
> >> > performance,
> >> as
> >> > described in KB929491 article. Does anybody knows if I cause a problem
> >> > or
> >> > performance degradation when I will extend the disk and the partition?
> >> Will
> >> > the partition misaligned?
> >> >
> >>
> >> If you use http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304736 to extend the clustered
> >> shared disk, it will not affect your partition offset.
> >>
> >> Rgds,
> >> Edwin.
> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Extend disk on a Windows 2003 cluster"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to extend C drive on Windows 2003 Server Nathan Guidry Windows Server Help 16 20-01-2012 10:16 PM
WINDOWS 2003 Cluster Service Yayi Windows Software 5 12-02-2009 12:21 PM
Windows Server 2003 R2 Cluster AKShena Windows Server Help 2 04-05-2008 12:21 PM
Adding new physical disk resource to 2003 active/passive cluster kesm0724 Windows Server Help 3 02-05-2007 01:12 AM
Windows 2003 Cluster LOCAL QUORUM PROBLEM Mike Windows Server Help 4 19-03-2007 06:38 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:56 PM.