Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



VSS writers problems backing up

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 05-08-2008
Anthony
 
Posts: n/a
Re: VSS writers problems backing up

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in responding I had to wait for them to reboot the
server after the patches you mentioned in the last post were installed.

The error I get in the event viewer is this :

Volsnap Event ID 25

The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage
could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or
choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

I also get this message:

Volsnap Event ID 33

The oldest shadow copy of volume D: was deleted to keep disk space usage for
shadow copies of volume D: below the user defined limit.

I have applied Service Pack 5 for Veritas on the server and had before this
installed all the patches I could find, now unfortunately the update client
has stopped working so I cannot easily check for more.

As for Windows patches I have basically been led by you on which ones I need
to apply and have put all the ones on that you have mentioned.

The backup works for a couple of days after a reboot but then starts failing
again.

Thanks

Anthony

"Thee Chicago Wolf" wrote:

> >Sorry to be back again but this has started happening again, we have tried
> >another reboot but the problem is not going away again.
> >
> >Any new ideas come to the fore of late?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Anthony

>
> Anthony,
>
> That's ok. How about a breakdown of what version / patches related to
> Backup Exec do you have? What patches related to VSS do you have
> installed? How about any event viewer logs and Event IDs associated
> with the failed backups? All this info would help greatly. You've
> already re-registered the EXE's and DLLs per
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940032, correct?
>
> The only other post-VSS roll-up patches and articles I've come across
> are these:
>
> Hotfixes:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949391
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951568
>
> Articles:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945058
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941956
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953617
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950141
>
> Did you also happen to see these articles:
> http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264862.htm
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263771.htm
>
> I know you're not specifically experiencing these issues explicitly
> (even after the roll-up was applied) but perhaps installing the
> hotfixes from the two KBs listed above will at the very least bring
> all VSS related files fully up to date and fix a couple bugs along the
> way. Give it a shot.
>
> - Thee Chicago Wolf
>

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-08-2008
Thee Chicago Wolf
 
Posts: n/a
Re: VSS writers problems backing up

>Sorry about the delay in responding I had to wait for them to reboot the
>server after the patches you mentioned in the last post were installed.
>
>The error I get in the event viewer is this :
>
>Volsnap Event ID 25
>
>The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage
>could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or
>choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.


Check out this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925799

Also. Take a peek at the following entries on eventid.net. It might be
helpful as I'm pretty much out of ideas for the moment.
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...olSnap&phase=1


>I also get this message:
>
>Volsnap Event ID 33
>
>The oldest shadow copy of volume D: was deleted to keep disk space usage for
>shadow copies of volume D: below the user defined limit.


Check this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312067

Also, check this eventid.net entry for info about that error.
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...olSnap&phase=1

You're not low on disk space are you?

>I have applied Service Pack 5 for Veritas on the server and had before this
>installed all the patches I could find, now unfortunately the update client
>has stopped working so I cannot easily check for more.


Was any resolution to the update client issue you're having been
posted to the Veritas site?

>As for Windows patches I have basically been led by you on which ones I need
>to apply and have put all the ones on that you have mentioned.
>
>The backup works for a couple of days after a reboot but then starts failing
>again.


Hopefully the registry tweak from KB925799 will help out some.

Let me know how it goes.

- Thee Chicago Wolf
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-08-2008
Thee Chicago Wolf
 
Posts: n/a
Re: VSS writers problems backing up

>Sorry about the delay in responding I had to wait for them to reboot the
>server after the patches you mentioned in the last post were installed.


One other thing, please double check your registry and make sure if
the tweak from this KB article is in there or not. I doubt it would
hurt if it's not there but it would at least eliminate all the options
we could try from the KB.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945058

Let me know how things go.

- Thee Chicago Wolf
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "VSS writers problems backing up"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems backing up the dvd twilight saga new moon Jensen Ackles Windows Software 6 03-05-2010 11:02 AM
Settings Utility for LiteOn DVD Writers (v1.2.1) Cheng-Gong Portable Devices 5 30-04-2010 06:05 AM
Missing VSS writers from "vssadmin list writers" Hong Windows Server Help 1 30-03-2009 12:21 PM
VSS Fails / vssadmin list writers shows no writers richlich Windows Server Help 6 31-10-2008 06:10 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:48 AM.