Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Migrating local user accounts between two Windows Server 2003 mach

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 29-04-2008
Iain
 
Posts: n/a
Migrating local user accounts between two Windows Server 2003 mach

Hi - I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I need to migrate applications between two web servers. Currently there are
a large number of local computer accounts on the old machine. I want to
transfer all or most of those (with passwords and groups) to the new machine.

I've struggled to find out how to do it. There are lots of tools and advice
for AD migration, but I've not found anything for Windows 2003 single machines

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Cheers

Iain

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29-04-2008
Pegasus \(MVP\)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migrating local user accounts between two Windows Server 2003 mach


"Iain" <Iain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F3E36A88-0154-4E61-B436-5449DBEAD262@microsoft.com...
> Hi - I hope this is the right place to ask this.
>
> I need to migrate applications between two web servers. Currently there
> are
> a large number of local computer accounts on the old machine. I want to
> transfer all or most of those (with passwords and groups) to the new
> machine.
>
> I've struggled to find out how to do it. There are lots of tools and
> advice
> for AD migration, but I've not found anything for Windows 2003 single
> machines
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers?
>
> Cheers
>
> Iain


Copypw.exe and exporter.zip might do the trick. Note that
I haven't tried them myself.
http://robot.pbwiki.com/UsefulTools


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29-04-2008
Iain
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migrating local user accounts between two Windows Server 2003

Thanks Pegasus. Sadly .... :(

From reading the readme it's not clear that CopyPwd will actually create
user accounts on the target machine if they are not present.

More to the point, the process of dumping actually fails with an error
'Failed to create remote thread'. I suspect that 2003 server has been
'fixed' so this sort of process won't work (hence why UMST won't work on it).

As for exporter.zip - I couldn't run it and the 'help' file won't launch.

Any other ideas would be gratefully received.


Iain

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

>
> "Iain" <Iain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F3E36A88-0154-4E61-B436-5449DBEAD262@microsoft.com...
> > Hi - I hope this is the right place to ask this.
> >
> > I need to migrate applications between two web servers. Currently there
> > are
> > a large number of local computer accounts on the old machine. I want to
> > transfer all or most of those (with passwords and groups) to the new
> > machine.
> >
> > I've struggled to find out how to do it. There are lots of tools and
> > advice
> > for AD migration, but I've not found anything for Windows 2003 single
> > machines
> >
> > Can anyone give me some pointers?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Iain

>
> Copypw.exe and exporter.zip might do the trick. Note that
> I haven't tried them myself.
> http://robot.pbwiki.com/UsefulTools
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29-04-2008
Pegasus \(MVP\)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migrating local user accounts between two Windows Server 2003

Sorry to hear that these tools failed to deliver. Have you had a look
at Richard Mueller's web site? There are quite a few tools that
might meet your requirements. http://www.rlmueller.net/freecode4.htm

As an alternative you could export all users account details from
the old server, using "net user", then massage the output to create
accounts on the new server. This would NOT duplicate the
existing passwords. How many accounts are involved?


"Iain" <Iain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:55057B8A-6AB6-4A85-99DA-089680FB1AB6@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Pegasus. Sadly .... :(
>
> From reading the readme it's not clear that CopyPwd will actually create
> user accounts on the target machine if they are not present.
>
> More to the point, the process of dumping actually fails with an error
> 'Failed to create remote thread'. I suspect that 2003 server has been
> 'fixed' so this sort of process won't work (hence why UMST won't work on
> it).
>
> As for exporter.zip - I couldn't run it and the 'help' file won't launch.
>
> Any other ideas would be gratefully received.
>
>
> Iain
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
>>
>> "Iain" <Iain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:F3E36A88-0154-4E61-B436-5449DBEAD262@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi - I hope this is the right place to ask this.
>> >
>> > I need to migrate applications between two web servers. Currently
>> > there
>> > are
>> > a large number of local computer accounts on the old machine. I want
>> > to
>> > transfer all or most of those (with passwords and groups) to the new
>> > machine.
>> >
>> > I've struggled to find out how to do it. There are lots of tools and
>> > advice
>> > for AD migration, but I've not found anything for Windows 2003 single
>> > machines
>> >
>> > Can anyone give me some pointers?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Iain

>>
>> Copypw.exe and exporter.zip might do the trick. Note that
>> I haven't tried them myself.
>> http://robot.pbwiki.com/UsefulTools
>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29-04-2008
Iain
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migrating local user accounts between two Windows Server 2003



"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> Sorry to hear that these tools failed to deliver. Have you had a look
> at Richard Mueller's web site? There are quite a few tools that
> might meet your requirements. http://www.rlmueller.net/freecode4.htm


I'll check that out.
>
> As an alternative you could export all users account details from
> the old server, using "net user", then massage the output to create
> accounts on the new server. This would NOT duplicate the
> existing passwords. How many accounts are involved?


Around 150 - 200.

I have a colleague who has volunteered to do it by hand, but obviously this
is prone to error (not to mention terminally boring!).

Iain
>


Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Migrating local user accounts between two Windows Server 2003 mach"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Migrating user accounts/permissions Marcobolo Windows Server Help 1 03-05-2012 10:51 PM
Migrating Local User Profiles from one domain to another Corey Arndt Windows Server Help 6 16-03-2012 05:04 PM
Migrating user Accounts kamikaze_worm Operating Systems 2 07-03-2012 03:18 PM
Migrating to Windows Server 2008 from 2003 Domain Jake360 Windows Server Help 1 07-12-2011 06:07 PM
Migrating local user profiles with ADMT MT Windows Server Help 8 18-06-2011 05:05 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:21 AM.