Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Schedule reboot with auto logon

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 22-04-2008
benb
 
Posts: n/a
Schedule reboot with auto logon

Hi. I want to schedule my server to reboot. I already know how to do
this with scheduled task and the shutdown.exe utility.

However, I need a specific user account to automatically logon upon
reboot, as this user needs to be logged in for some jobs to run.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22-04-2008
Jabez Gan [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Schedule reboot with auto logon

Please follow the instructions from:
http://www.petri.co.il/configuring_autologon.htm

--
Jabez Gan
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server
http://www.msblog.org


"benb" <Ben.Bawden@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:8890c586-e5a5-4070-a630-64ed0707a59a@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi. I want to schedule my server to reboot. I already know how to do
> this with scheduled task and the shutdown.exe utility.
>
> However, I need a specific user account to automatically logon upon
> reboot, as this user needs to be logged in for some jobs to run.
>
> Does anyone know how I can do this?
>
> Thanks.


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-04-2008
benb
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Schedule reboot with auto logon

On Apr 22, 3:11 pm, "Jabez Gan [MVP]"
<mingte...@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote:
> Please follow the instructions from:http://www.petri.co.il/configuring_autologon.htm
>
> --
> Jabez Gan
> Microsoft MVP: Windows Serverhttp://www.msblog.org
>
> "benb" <Ben.Baw...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:8890c586-e5a5-4070-a630-64ed0707a59a@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Hi. I want to schedule my server to reboot. I already know how to do
> > this with scheduled task and the shutdown.exe utility.

>
> > However, I need a specific user account to automatically logon upon
> > reboot, as this user needs to be logged in for some jobs to run.

>
> > Does anyone know how I can do this?

>
> > Thanks.


Thanks for the link, but I don't want to permanently overwrite the
login settings. If I do what that article said, then everyone who
subsequently tries to remote desktop to the server will be logged in
under the username I specify. I don't want to change the behaviour,
but just want one user account to log in to the server. Is there a
scheduled task I can set up that will kick off a remote desktop
session that logs into the server?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-04-2008
Jabez Gan [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Schedule reboot with auto logon

Hey,

The link I gave earlier would have the following scenario:
- User reboots the server (through RDP or on-site), and the server will auto
logon (on the console). However if you RDP, you/whoever will still need to
authenticate b4 they can log on to the server.

However for users who are on-site, they will be able to use the server when
someone restarts it. To combat this, you can create a shortcut to Lock the
server and put the shortcut into the Startup folder.

Using the method from the link doesn't mean that users who log on through
RDP no need to authenticate.

--
Jabez Gan
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server
http://www.msblog.org


"benb" <Ben.Bawden@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:896e3467-ba70-4b02-bbb8-69d43798e33b@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> On Apr 22, 3:11 pm, "Jabez Gan [MVP]"
> <mingte...@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote:
>> Please follow the instructions
>> from:http://www.petri.co.il/configuring_autologon.htm
>>
>> --
>> Jabez Gan
>> Microsoft MVP: Windows Serverhttp://www.msblog.org
>>
>> "benb" <Ben.Baw...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:8890c586-e5a5-4070-a630-64ed0707a59a@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> > Hi. I want to schedule my server to reboot. I already know how to do
>> > this with scheduled task and the shutdown.exe utility.

>>
>> > However, I need a specific user account to automatically logon upon
>> > reboot, as this user needs to be logged in for some jobs to run.

>>
>> > Does anyone know how I can do this?

>>
>> > Thanks.

>
> Thanks for the link, but I don't want to permanently overwrite the
> login settings. If I do what that article said, then everyone who
> subsequently tries to remote desktop to the server will be logged in
> under the username I specify. I don't want to change the behaviour,
> but just want one user account to log in to the server. Is there a
> scheduled task I can set up that will kick off a remote desktop
> session that logs into the server?


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29-04-2008
benb
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Schedule reboot with auto logon

On Apr 24, 7:46 pm, "Jabez Gan [MVP]"
<mingte...@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The link I gave earlier would have the following scenario:
> - User reboots the server (through RDP or on-site), and the server will auto
> logon (on the console). However if you RDP, you/whoever will still need to
> authenticate b4 they can log on to the server.
>
> However for users who are on-site, they will be able to use the server when
> someone restarts it. To combat this, you can create a shortcut to Lock the
> server and put the shortcut into the Startup folder.
>
> Using the method from the link doesn't mean that users who log on through
> RDP no need to authenticate.
>
> --
> Jabez Gan
> Microsoft MVP: Windows Serverhttp://www.msblog.org
>
> "benb" <Ben.Baw...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:896e3467-ba70-4b02-bbb8-69d43798e33b@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
>
> > On Apr 22, 3:11 pm, "Jabez Gan [MVP]"
> > <mingte...@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote:
> >> Please follow the instructions
> >> from:http://www.petri.co.il/configuring_autologon.htm

>
> >> --
> >> Jabez Gan
> >> Microsoft MVP: Windows Serverhttp://www.msblog.org

>
> >> "benb" <Ben.Baw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>
> >>news:8890c586-e5a5-4070-a630-64ed0707a59a@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

>
> >> > Hi. I want to schedule my server to reboot. I already know how to do
> >> > this with scheduled task and the shutdown.exe utility.

>
> >> > However, I need a specific user account to automatically logon upon
> >> > reboot, as this user needs to be logged in for some jobs to run.

>
> >> > Does anyone know how I can do this?

>
> >> > Thanks.

>
> > Thanks for the link, but I don't want to permanently overwrite the
> > login settings. If I do what that article said, then everyone who
> > subsequently tries to remote desktop to the server will be logged in
> > under the username I specify. I don't want to change the behaviour,
> > but just want one user account to log in to the server. Is there a
> > scheduled task I can set up that will kick off a remote desktop
> > session that logs into the server?


That sounds like it might work, thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Schedule reboot with auto logon"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto-Taxi fare , Train schedule on Mobile Phone Akul Web News & Trends 1 21-04-2011 06:00 PM
How to schedule a reboot in Windows Server 2003 Mark S Windows Server Help 5 19-08-2008 01:59 AM
disable auto logon in xp alok_singh_tech Operating Systems 1 06-02-2008 11:58 AM
Schedule a Windows 2003 reboot stosti Windows Server Help 3 13-12-2007 01:32 PM
Auto Logon AND auto lock workstation? Nadeem Windows XP Support 3 09-11-2006 05:49 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:30 PM.