Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Ping fails to resolve name but nslookup OK

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-04-2008
AXJ
 
Posts: n/a
Ping fails to resolve name but nslookup OK

Hi all

We have a very weird DNS resolver issue. Our DNS servers are running on
Windows 2003 Servers. We have Vista and WinXP clients. Occasionally, our
clients can't resolve internal server DNS names with ping but nslookup would
be OK.

Any idea what's possibly the cause?

Thanks.

AxJ



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-2008
mformarty
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Ping fails to resolve name but nslookup OK

When problem occurs, run "ipconfig /flushdns" and then ping again to see if
problem persists.
if flushdns does not help, restart DNS Client service to see if problem
persists.

ping relies on DNS Client service, whereas nslookup simply connects to DNS
server directly.
--
HTH
Marty


"AXJ" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We have a very weird DNS resolver issue. Our DNS servers are running on
> Windows 2003 Servers. We have Vista and WinXP clients. Occasionally, our
> clients can't resolve internal server DNS names with ping but nslookup would
> be OK.
>
> Any idea what's possibly the cause?
>
> Thanks.
>
> AxJ
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2008
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ping fails to resolve name but nslookup OK

Read inline please.

In news:uKqltlbmIHA.5684@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
AXJ <nomail@mail.net> typed:
> Hi all
>
> We have a very weird DNS resolver issue. Our DNS servers are running
> on Windows 2003 Servers. We have Vista and WinXP clients.
> Occasionally, our clients can't resolve internal server DNS names
> with ping but nslookup would be OK.
>
> Any idea what's possibly the cause?


Do you have only your internal DNS server listed in TCP/IP? (No external or
ISP DNS allowed, even as an Alternate)



--
Best regards,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps

===================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
http://support.wftx.us/
http://message.wftx.us/
===================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
===================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
===================================


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15-04-2008
AXJ
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ping fails to resolve name but nslookup OK

Hi Kevin

The TCP/IP configuration, the internal DNS servers are listed but the names
in question are internal hosts so only internal DNS servers can resolve them

The only way we could make it work is to disable and re-enable the network
interface. That somehow fixes the problem. Question is WHY and how do we fix
it once and for all. Is it a known WinXP and Vista bug?

Thanks.

Regards,
AXJ

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
news:OSgqo8jmIHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Read inline please.
>
> In news:uKqltlbmIHA.5684@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
> AXJ <nomail@mail.net> typed:
>> Hi all
>>
>> We have a very weird DNS resolver issue. Our DNS servers are running
>> on Windows 2003 Servers. We have Vista and WinXP clients.
>> Occasionally, our clients can't resolve internal server DNS names
>> with ping but nslookup would be OK.
>>
>> Any idea what's possibly the cause?

>
> Do you have only your internal DNS server listed in TCP/IP? (No external
> or
> ISP DNS allowed, even as an Alternate)
>
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
>
> ===================================
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> http://support.wftx.us/
> http://message.wftx.us/
> ===================================
> Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> It will strip signature out and more
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> ===================================
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> with OEBackup:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> ===================================
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15-04-2008
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ping fails to resolve name but nslookup OK

Read inline please.

In news:u54fhTnnIHA.4480@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
AXJ <nomail@mail.com> typed:
> Hi Kevin
>
> The TCP/IP configuration, the internal DNS servers are listed but the
> names in question are internal hosts so only internal DNS servers can
> resolve them
>
> The only way we could make it work is to disable and re-enable the
> network interface. That somehow fixes the problem. Question is WHY
> and how do we fix it once and for all. Is it a known WinXP and Vista
> bug?


Disable and re-enable the NIC on the clients or the servers?

Have you applied the DNS Client update released last week?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945553


--
Best regards,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps

===================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
http://support.wftx.us/
http://message.wftx.us/
===================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
===================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
===================================


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-04-2008
Al
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ping fails to resolve name but nslookup OK

Kevin

We disable and re-enable the NIC on the clients, not server. That works
every time.

No, I didn't know about the DNS client update. Just read the security
bulletin about this update. Nothing described there was related to this
issue.

Regards,
AXJ

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
news:u6ILD1vnIHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Read inline please.
>
> In news:u54fhTnnIHA.4480@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
> AXJ <nomail@mail.com> typed:
>> Hi Kevin
>>
>> The TCP/IP configuration, the internal DNS servers are listed but the
>> names in question are internal hosts so only internal DNS servers can
>> resolve them
>>
>> The only way we could make it work is to disable and re-enable the
>> network interface. That somehow fixes the problem. Question is WHY
>> and how do we fix it once and for all. Is it a known WinXP and Vista
>> bug?

>
> Disable and re-enable the NIC on the clients or the servers?
>
> Have you applied the DNS Client update released last week?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945553
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
>
> ===================================
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> http://support.wftx.us/
> http://message.wftx.us/
> ===================================
> Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> It will strip signature out and more
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> ===================================
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> with OEBackup:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> ===================================
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Ping fails to resolve name but nslookup OK"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DNS resolve problem with ping but not nslookup vagniphor Windows Server Help 9 12-08-2011 12:52 AM
Ping returns the wrong name; nslookup OK Phil Tuttiett Windows Server Help 5 14-09-2009 09:20 AM
NSLookup can resolve domain names, Ping can not resolve. Can ping IP finnce Networking & Security 3 05-02-2009 01:27 PM
Can nslookup dns but cannot ping name Colarado Networking & Security 3 30-09-2008 02:32 PM
Ping does not resolve, nslookup does, DNS queries end up externall Mike. Windows Server Help 4 08-06-2008 07:39 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:55 PM.