Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Upgrade path to Windows Server 2008

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 28-03-2008
rjposey@gmail.com
 
Posts: n/a
Upgrade path to Windows Server 2008

Greetings,
We are looking into transitioning over to Server 2008 servers. I had
heard that when bringing 2008 servers into the environment, you should
start with your DC's (either upgrade or clean) before moving over
anything else. Is there any truth to this? Our environment would be a
mix of 2003 and 2008 servers for quite some time. My System Center
server is a prime candidate for moving to 2008, but I don't want to
mess anything up by not starting with the DC's. Any information is
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Robert

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28-03-2008
Meinolf Weber
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade path to Windows Server 2008

Hello rjposey@gmail.com,

Adding a 2008 server as a member to 2003 domain is no problem. Add it and
work like normal. You do not have to upgrade the domain for this.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

> Greetings,
> We are looking into transitioning over to Server 2008 servers. I had
> heard that when bringing 2008 servers into the environment, you should
> start with your DC's (either upgrade or clean) before moving over
> anything else. Is there any truth to this? Our environment would be a
> mix of 2003 and 2008 servers for quite some time. My System Center
> server is a prime candidate for moving to 2008, but I don't want to
> mess anything up by not starting with the DC's. Any information is
> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> Robert
>



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28-03-2008
rjposey@gmail.com
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade path to Windows Server 2008

Thank you for your very quick reply.Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

Robert


On Mar 27, 5:32?pm, Meinolf Weber <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello rjpo...@gmail.com,
>
> Adding a 2008 server as a member to 2003 domain is no problem. Add it and
> work like normal. You do not have to upgrade the domain for this.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!!http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
>
>
> > Greetings,
> > We are looking into transitioning over to Server 2008 servers. I had
> > heard that when bringing 2008 servers into the environment, you should
> > start with your DC's (either upgrade or clean) before moving over
> > anything else. Is there any truth to this? Our environment would be a
> > mix of 2003 and 2008 servers for quite some time. My System Center
> > server is a prime candidate for moving to 2008, but I don't want to
> > mess anything up by not starting with the DC's. Any information is
> > greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> > Robert- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2008
dennyd
 
Posts: n/a
I agree, i have a lot of 2008 servers in 2003 domain. You don't even need to run adprep to update the schema.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Meinolf Weber View Post
Hello rjposey@gmail.com,

Adding a 2008 server as a member to 2003 domain is no problem. Add it and
work like normal. You do not have to upgrade the domain for this.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

> Greetings,
> We are looking into transitioning over to Server 2008 servers. I had
> heard that when bringing 2008 servers into the environment, you should
> start with your DC's (either upgrade or clean) before moving over
> anything else. Is there any truth to this? Our environment would be a
> mix of 2003 and 2008 servers for quite some time. My System Center
> server is a prime candidate for moving to 2008, but I don't want to
> mess anything up by not starting with the DC's. Any information is
> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> Robert
>
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Upgrade path to Windows Server 2008"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade to Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008 xavier1693 Operating Systems 1 30-04-2011 11:58 AM
Can I migrate/upgrade Windows Server 2008 32-bit to 64-bit? Chris Kiekens Windows Server Help 10 02-12-2009 01:48 PM
Difference between Windows Server 2008 / SBS 2008 / EBS 2008 / SBS2003 kyosang Small Business Server 1 06-05-2009 09:09 PM
Server 2000 to Server 2008 best route for upgrade/domain name change Derek Active Directory 1 29-01-2009 11:59 PM
domain upgrade to 2008 by adding new 2008 server manishdk Active Directory 3 30-07-2008 10:15 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:57 PM.