after an update of our server (Windows Server 2003, 3 updates of at
least the past 3 weeks) we can't create files from remote any more.
bizarre is that
- it is possible to copy files from c: to \\server\folder
- it is possible to create folders at \\server\folder
- it is possible to copy files from \\server\folder to \\server\folder
- it is possible to edit files at \\server\folder
- it is possible to "echo test>\\server\folder\test.txt"
but as soon as for example MS-Access tries to create its lock file, this
fails. Right click in a folder, create file whatsoever.doesn'tmatter
results in "unable to create the file ... the system cannot find the
day two now and we still can't write to those shares.
Removing all 8 updates we installed yesterday didn't help.
Dell support suggested to look into the "Security Policy".
Meanwhile we experienced indeterministic occurrences of the error
meaning that about every 2nd try to create a file succeeds what in my
eyes means it has nothing to do with security policies and must be some bug.