Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Mapped network drive always requires user login after reboot

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-03-2008
dath
 
Posts: n/a
Mapped network drive always requires user login after reboot

We have 1 server that is a domain controller/exchange server that has some
folders that need to be shared for client access. I setup a mapped network
drive to this shared folder on a windows vista client computer and set it to
auto login each time he reboots with the admin credentials. However each
time he reboots it requires him to manually put in the admin user name and
PW. How do we get around this problem without joining his computer to the
domain? We obviously don’t want to give out the admin login info to every
user and they are hesitant to add them to the domain because they take there
laptops home each night and don’t want any problems with there internet at
home.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2008
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mapped network drive always requires user login after reboot

dath <dath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> We have 1 server that is a domain controller/exchange server that has
> some folders that need to be shared for client access. I setup a
> mapped network drive to this shared folder on a windows vista client
> computer and set it to auto login each time he reboots with the admin
> credentials. However each time he reboots it requires him to
> manually put in the admin user name and PW. How do we get around
> this problem without joining his computer to the domain? We
> obviously don't want to give out the admin login info to every user
> and they are hesitant to add them to the domain because they take
> there laptops home each night and don't want any problems with there
> internet at home.


Questions/comments -

Why is the user connecting using administrative credentials to map the
drive? Can't this folder be accessed by a non-admin user account in the
domain? This doesn't sound like an ideal setup.....

You can set up a domain account & password that matches the local
workstation credentials and they ought to be passed through (I'm not a Vista
person, note).

I'd use a login script on the desktop rather than telling Windows to map the
drive automatically - have the user run it manually when they're in the
office.

net use x: \\server\share /persistent:no


All that said, I would recommend that *all* your users' computers be joined
to the domain - and use login scripts, group policy, to manage them. Their
internet access at home shouldn't be disrupted by this, but honestly, if
these are company owned computers, they should be locked down sufficiently
that the users can't (in)advertently make any systems changes or install
software.


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15-03-2008
dath
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mapped network drive always requires user login after reboot



"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> dath <dath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > We have 1 server that is a domain controller/exchange server that has
> > some folders that need to be shared for client access. I setup a
> > mapped network drive to this shared folder on a windows vista client
> > computer and set it to auto login each time he reboots with the admin
> > credentials. However each time he reboots it requires him to
> > manually put in the admin user name and PW. How do we get around
> > this problem without joining his computer to the domain? We
> > obviously don't want to give out the admin login info to every user
> > and they are hesitant to add them to the domain because they take
> > there laptops home each night and don't want any problems with there
> > internet at home.

>
> Questions/comments -
>
> Why is the user connecting using administrative credentials to map the
> drive? Can't this folder be accessed by a non-admin user account in the
> domain? This doesn't sound like an ideal setup.....
>
> You can set up a domain account & password that matches the local
> workstation credentials and they ought to be passed through (I'm not a Vista
> person, note).
>
> I'd use a login script on the desktop rather than telling Windows to map the
> drive automatically - have the user run it manually when they're in the
> office.
>
> net use x: \\server\share /persistent:no
>
>
> All that said, I would recommend that *all* your users' computers be joined
> to the domain - and use login scripts, group policy, to manage them. Their
> internet access at home shouldn't be disrupted by this, but honestly, if
> these are company owned computers, they should be locked down sufficiently
> that the users can't (in)advertently make any systems changes or install
> software.
>
>
>

The problem is that he does not want to join the domain he is the owner of
the company so he just wants the mapped drive to work without logging in each
time. Why would you use a script when you can just setup a shortcut on his
desktop to the mapped drive?

Are there any vista experts out there that have had experience with setting
up a user on the DC with the same name and pw as the user on a laptop that is
not part of the domain? I know I could do this with my 2000 network and XP
but I dont want to show up at his office only to find out it wont pass
through using Vista.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16-03-2008
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mapped network drive always requires user login after reboot

dath <dath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> dath <dath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> We have 1 server that is a domain controller/exchange server that
>>> has some folders that need to be shared for client access. I setup
>>> a mapped network drive to this shared folder on a windows vista
>>> client computer and set it to auto login each time he reboots with
>>> the admin credentials. However each time he reboots it requires
>>> him to manually put in the admin user name and PW. How do we get
>>> around this problem without joining his computer to the domain? We
>>> obviously don't want to give out the admin login info to every user
>>> and they are hesitant to add them to the domain because they take
>>> there laptops home each night and don't want any problems with there
>>> internet at home.

>>
>> Questions/comments -
>>
>> Why is the user connecting using administrative credentials to map
>> the drive? Can't this folder be accessed by a non-admin user account
>> in the domain? This doesn't sound like an ideal setup.....
>>
>> You can set up a domain account & password that matches the local
>> workstation credentials and they ought to be passed through (I'm not
>> a Vista person, note).
>>
>> I'd use a login script on the desktop rather than telling Windows to
>> map the drive automatically - have the user run it manually when
>> they're in the office.
>>
>> net use x: \\server\share /persistent:no
>>
>>
>> All that said, I would recommend that *all* your users' computers be
>> joined to the domain - and use login scripts, group policy, to
>> manage them. Their internet access at home shouldn't be disrupted by
>> this, but honestly, if these are company owned computers, they
>> should be locked down sufficiently that the users can't
>> (in)advertently make any systems changes or install software.
>>
>>
>>

> The problem is that he does not want to join the domain he is the
> owner of the company


I understand what you're talking about - but I tell business owners "no" all
the time when they have dumb requests. And they still call me to do work for
them.

> so he just wants the mapped drive to work
> without logging in each time.


And I want a pony. :)


> Why would you use a script when you
> can just setup a shortcut on his desktop to the mapped drive?


Because he shouldn't have it try to maintain a persistent connection. What
about when he's not at work? What if you move a share or add a server?

You haven't explained why he's using any sort of administrative
credentials - maybe I'm not following....
>
> Are there any vista experts out there that have had experience with
> setting up a user on the DC with the same name and pw as the user on
> a laptop that is not part of the domain? I know I could do this with
> my 2000 network and XP but I dont want to show up at his office only
> to find out it wont pass through using Vista.


I don't use Vista (ptui!) so I can't advise you there, sorry.



Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Mapped network drive always requires user login after reboot"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delay mapped drive connection on vista until network is up MacNamara Windows Vista Network 11 07-02-2012 03:57 AM
How to exclude mapped network drive from security essentials Liam Networking & Security 5 25-04-2011 06:18 AM
Remove previously mapped network drive Raas Vista Help 9 24-11-2010 11:51 AM
Disconnect a network mapped drive in Windows XP Ebadaah Networking & Security 3 27-07-2009 02:20 PM
Slow access to mapped network drive Gert Windows Server Help 4 09-11-2007 07:42 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:00 PM.