Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Task scheduler error in W2003

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 30-01-2008
Bo Berglund
 
Posts: n/a
Task scheduler error in W2003

I have a W2003 server that has a task set up to run every 10 minutes.
This has worked well for a couple of years. But recently (about Dec
21st, 2007) it stopped working.
When I open the scheduled task's properties I am greeted with a
message box with the following contents:

"General page initialization failed.
The specific error is:
0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task account information.
You may continue editing the task object, but will be unable to change
the task account information."

The W2003 server is a secondary domain controller on our network and I
am a domain admin, so permissions should not be a problem.

If I try to create a new task to take over from the failing one I get
the same window when I try to save it at the end...

What is going on here? Restarting the server does not help.


Bo Berglund

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30-01-2008
Pegasus \(MVP\)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Task scheduler error in W2003


"Bo Berglund" <boberglund@home.se> wrote in message
news:8davp3d4l2ujfi2br52cunj54ddkdv6fgc@4ax.com...
>I have a W2003 server that has a task set up to run every 10 minutes.
> This has worked well for a couple of years. But recently (about Dec
> 21st, 2007) it stopped working.
> When I open the scheduled task's properties I am greeted with a
> message box with the following contents:
>
> "General page initialization failed.
> The specific error is:
> 0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
> An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task account information.
> You may continue editing the task object, but will be unable to change
> the task account information."
>
> The W2003 server is a secondary domain controller on our network and I
> am a domain admin, so permissions should not be a problem.
>
> If I try to create a new task to take over from the failing one I get
> the same window when I try to save it at the end...
>
> What is going on here? Restarting the server does not help.
>
>
> Bo Berglund


Google is a wonderful tool. Looking for your error message
got me this link straight away:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246865


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30-01-2008
Dave Patrick
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Task scheduler error in W2003

Make sure the Task Scheduler service is set to logon with the Local System
Account and Allow Service to Interact with Desktop

Also this article may help.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;246183



--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bo Berglund" wrote:
>I have a W2003 server that has a task set up to run every 10 minutes.
> This has worked well for a couple of years. But recently (about Dec
> 21st, 2007) it stopped working.
> When I open the scheduled task's properties I am greeted with a
> message box with the following contents:
>
> "General page initialization failed.
> The specific error is:
> 0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
> An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task account information.
> You may continue editing the task object, but will be unable to change
> the task account information."
>
> The W2003 server is a secondary domain controller on our network and I
> am a domain admin, so permissions should not be a problem.
>
> If I try to create a new task to take over from the failing one I get
> the same window when I try to save it at the end...
>
> What is going on here? Restarting the server does not help.
>
>
> Bo Berglund


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30-01-2008
Bo Berglund
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Task scheduler error in W2003

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:51:29 +0100, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
<I.can@fly.com.oz> wrote:

>
>"Bo Berglund" <boberglund@home.se> wrote in message
>news:8davp3d4l2ujfi2br52cunj54ddkdv6fgc@4ax.com...
>>I have a W2003 server that has a task set up to run every 10 minutes.
>> This has worked well for a couple of years. But recently (about Dec
>> 21st, 2007) it stopped working.
>> When I open the scheduled task's properties I am greeted with a
>> message box with the following contents:
>>
>> "General page initialization failed.
>> The specific error is:
>> 0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
>> An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task account information.
>> You may continue editing the task object, but will be unable to change
>> the task account information."
>>
>> The W2003 server is a secondary domain controller on our network and I
>> am a domain admin, so permissions should not be a problem.
>>
>> If I try to create a new task to take over from the failing one I get
>> the same window when I try to save it at the end...
>>
>> What is going on here? Restarting the server does not help.
>>
>>
>> Bo Berglund

>
>Google is a wonderful tool. Looking for your error message
>got me this link straight away:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246865
>

Well,
Internet Explorer 5 is not really a problem...
The article says:
"Note that this problem occurs only when you install Internet Explorer
5 on a Windows NT 4.0-based computer with 128-bit encryption, on which
Internet Explorer 4.01 Service Pack 1 was installed with the Task
Scheduler add-on."

1) This is a Windows 2003 Server and not NT4

2) IE has never been version 5 or below, W2003 comes with IE6

I don't think that this article applies...


Bo Berglund
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31-01-2008
Bo Berglund
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Task scheduler error in W2003

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:03:00 -0700, "Dave Patrick"
<DSPatrick@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>Make sure the Task Scheduler service is set to logon with the Local System
>Account and Allow Service to Interact with Desktop
>
>Also this article may help.
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;246183


Thanks,
I used the last part of the instructions in this article and stopped
the Crypto service, deleted the folder and started the Crypto service
again.
This solved the problem! :-)


Bo Berglund
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31-01-2008
Dave Patrick
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Task scheduler error in W2003

Good to hear. You're welcome.


--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bo Berglund" wrote:
> Thanks,
> I used the last part of the instructions in this article and stopped
> the Crypto service, deleted the folder and started the Crypto service
> again.
> This solved the problem! :-)
>
>
> Bo Berglund

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Task scheduler error in W2003"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error message when starting Task Scheduler Toby-Martin Vista Help 5 15-03-2012 04:11 AM
Task Scheduler - task creation error on Windows 2008 Server x64 $Bradan$ Operating Systems 5 29-09-2011 01:03 PM
Task Scheduler (Win7) error message Valliy Operating Systems 4 02-04-2010 08:17 PM
Task Scheduler Error Code information? Peter Meinl Vista Help 4 28-01-2009 03:28 AM
Windows Task Scheduler: Access Denied Error prash_mate Windows Security 4 17-06-2007 07:22 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:56 PM.