Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Server reboots every day same time

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 17-01-2008
OJG
 
Posts: n/a
Server reboots every day same time

I have one server that in the last 2-3 weeks has been rebooting at the exact
same time every day. It shows this in the event log.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: USER32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1074
Date: 1/16/2008
Time: 5:00:47 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: *******
Description:
The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of computer CORP-ADP on
behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Legacy API
shutdown
Reason Code: 0x80070000
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment:

I have checked the AV logs, Landesk tasks and logs and the local task
scheduler and can not find any indication of what is causing this. I also ran
a full virus and anti spyware scan. Any ideas?


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17-01-2008
Pegasus \(MVP\)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Server reboots every day same time


"OJG" <OJG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:73C3F879-E83B-4FB8-82D2-5BE79CAFDD8B@microsoft.com...
>I have one server that in the last 2-3 weeks has been rebooting at the
>exact
> same time every day. It shows this in the event log.
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: USER32
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1074
> Date: 1/16/2008
> Time: 5:00:47 PM
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> Computer: *******
> Description:
> The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of computer CORP-ADP on
> behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Legacy API
> shutdown
> Reason Code: 0x80070000
> Shutdown Type: restart
> Comment:
>
> I have checked the AV logs, Landesk tasks and logs and the local task
> scheduler and can not find any indication of what is causing this. I also
> ran
> a full virus and anti spyware scan. Any ideas?
>


Since this happens at the exact same time each day, the prime
suspect would be some component of a scheduled task. To home
in on the culprit, I would move each task by a multiple of 5 minutes:
Task1: 5 minutes, Task2:10 minutes, Task3:15 minutes.

I expect that the reboot will now happen x minutes later. If it's
10 minutes later then Task2 would be the culprit.


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18-01-2008
OJG
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Server reboots every day same time

No luck we moved the two scheduled tasks as suggested and the shutdown still
occured at the same time.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

>
> "OJG" <OJG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:73C3F879-E83B-4FB8-82D2-5BE79CAFDD8B@microsoft.com...
> >I have one server that in the last 2-3 weeks has been rebooting at the
> >exact
> > same time every day. It shows this in the event log.
> >
> > Event Type: Information
> > Event Source: USER32
> > Event Category: None
> > Event ID: 1074
> > Date: 1/16/2008
> > Time: 5:00:47 PM
> > User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> > Computer: *******
> > Description:
> > The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of computer CORP-ADP on
> > behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Legacy API
> > shutdown
> > Reason Code: 0x80070000
> > Shutdown Type: restart
> > Comment:
> >
> > I have checked the AV logs, Landesk tasks and logs and the local task
> > scheduler and can not find any indication of what is causing this. I also
> > ran
> > a full virus and anti spyware scan. Any ideas?
> >

>
> Since this happens at the exact same time each day, the prime
> suspect would be some component of a scheduled task. To home
> in on the culprit, I would move each task by a multiple of 5 minutes:
> Task1: 5 minutes, Task2:10 minutes, Task3:15 minutes.
>
> I expect that the reboot will now happen x minutes later. If it's
> 10 minutes later then Task2 would be the culprit.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18-01-2008
Pegasus \(MVP\)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Server reboots every day same time

I would now determine if the reboot is caused by an internal
or external trigger. I would do it by unplugging its network
cable at 4:55 pm and reconnecting it at 5:05 pm, i.e. 5 minutes
before & after the shutdown time.

Have you considered a virus or malware infection?


"OJG" <OJG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E1DE2EDA-4AEE-48BF-B3F2-855DF913D9C9@microsoft.com...
> No luck we moved the two scheduled tasks as suggested and the shutdown
> still
> occured at the same time.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
>>
>> "OJG" <OJG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:73C3F879-E83B-4FB8-82D2-5BE79CAFDD8B@microsoft.com...
>> >I have one server that in the last 2-3 weeks has been rebooting at the
>> >exact
>> > same time every day. It shows this in the event log.
>> >
>> > Event Type: Information
>> > Event Source: USER32
>> > Event Category: None
>> > Event ID: 1074
>> > Date: 1/16/2008
>> > Time: 5:00:47 PM
>> > User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>> > Computer: *******
>> > Description:
>> > The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of computer CORP-ADP
>> > on
>> > behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Legacy API
>> > shutdown
>> > Reason Code: 0x80070000
>> > Shutdown Type: restart
>> > Comment:
>> >
>> > I have checked the AV logs, Landesk tasks and logs and the local task
>> > scheduler and can not find any indication of what is causing this. I
>> > also
>> > ran
>> > a full virus and anti spyware scan. Any ideas?
>> >

>>
>> Since this happens at the exact same time each day, the prime
>> suspect would be some component of a scheduled task. To home
>> in on the culprit, I would move each task by a multiple of 5 minutes:
>> Task1: 5 minutes, Task2:10 minutes, Task3:15 minutes.
>>
>> I expect that the reboot will now happen x minutes later. If it's
>> 10 minutes later then Task2 would be the culprit.
>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-01-2008
deeepak
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Server reboots every day same time

On Jan 17, 7:48?pm, OJG <O...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have one server that in the last 2-3 weeks has been rebooting at the exact
> same time every day. It shows this in the event log.
>
> Event Type: ? ? Information
> Event Source: ? USER32
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: ? ? ? 1074
> Date: ? ? ? ? ? 1/16/2008
> Time: ? ? ? ? ? 5:00:47 PM
> User: ? ? ? ? ? NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> Computer: ? ? ? *******
> Description:
> The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of computer CORP-ADP on
> behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Legacy API
> shutdown
> ?Reason Code: 0x80070000
> ?Shutdown Type: restart
> ?Comment:
>
> I have checked the AV logs, Landesk tasks and logs and the local task
> scheduler and can not find any indication of what is causing this. I also ran
> a full virus and anti spyware scan. Any ideas?



Below are few steps that you can try:

Boot machine into SAfe mode with Networking
Reinstall most recent HP/Compaq server managment Agents/Utilities
Disable GFI Mail Essentials and GFI POP2 services

We can also set Poolmon on the server and get it analyzed and that
would tell us which file or driver is causing the problem.

Best option is to set poolmon on the server.

If the steps above resolves let me know at deepakchawla00@gmail.com

Thanks and Regards
Deepak









Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2008
Brains,None
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Server reboots every day same time

I heard tell of a janitor who would unplug "an unused computer" to plug
in the floor buffer... solution was to lock the computer room... Funny,
but something to consider....

;-)

j.

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> I would now determine if the reboot is caused by an internal
> or external trigger. I would do it by unplugging its network
> cable at 4:55 pm and reconnecting it at 5:05 pm, i.e. 5 minutes
> before & after the shutdown time.
>
> Have you considered a virus or malware infection?
>
>
> "OJG" <OJG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E1DE2EDA-4AEE-48BF-B3F2-855DF913D9C9@microsoft.com...
>> No luck we moved the two scheduled tasks as suggested and the shutdown
>> still
>> occured at the same time.
>>
>> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> "OJG" <OJG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:73C3F879-E83B-4FB8-82D2-5BE79CAFDD8B@microsoft.com...
>>>> I have one server that in the last 2-3 weeks has been rebooting at the
>>>> exact
>>>> same time every day. It shows this in the event log.
>>>>
>>>> Event Type: Information
>>>> Event Source: USER32
>>>> Event Category: None
>>>> Event ID: 1074
>>>> Date: 1/16/2008
>>>> Time: 5:00:47 PM
>>>> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>>>> Computer: *******
>>>> Description:
>>>> The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of computer CORP-ADP
>>>> on
>>>> behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Legacy API
>>>> shutdown
>>>> Reason Code: 0x80070000
>>>> Shutdown Type: restart
>>>> Comment:
>>>>
>>>> I have checked the AV logs, Landesk tasks and logs and the local task
>>>> scheduler and can not find any indication of what is causing this. I
>>>> also
>>>> ran
>>>> a full virus and anti spyware scan. Any ideas?
>>>>
>>> Since this happens at the exact same time each day, the prime
>>> suspect would be some component of a scheduled task. To home
>>> in on the culprit, I would move each task by a multiple of 5 minutes:
>>> Task1: 5 minutes, Task2:10 minutes, Task3:15 minutes.
>>>
>>> I expect that the reboot will now happen x minutes later. If it's
>>> 10 minutes later then Task2 would be the culprit.
>>>
>>>
>>>

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Server reboots every day same time"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony Xperia neo V reboots on itself and the time and date changes Valan Portable Devices 6 22-10-2011 03:35 PM
NOkia C5 reboots at the time of radio listening Paqway Portable Devices 6 30-10-2010 01:36 AM
Problem with NFS server Time Out Joyjeet Networking & Security 4 19-02-2009 08:53 AM
Server Time and Time Sync Somchai Windows Server Help 1 29-12-2008 01:16 AM
"The time at the Primary Domain Controller is different than the time at the Backup Domain Controller or member server by too large an amount." NavinS Active Directory 2 08-12-2008 07:03 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:14 PM.