Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Problem with ROBOCOPY version XP026 an ERRORLEVEL

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-09-2007
Tom Meier
 
Posts: n/a
Problem with ROBOCOPY version XP026 an ERRORLEVEL

Hello,

i have a problem with robocopy.

There are 3 different versions of robocopy:

Version XP010:
- included in Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
- has complete documentation included
- URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Version XP026:
- included in Microsoft Robocopy GUI
- only the documentation of version XP010 included - new parameters of
version XP026 are not described
- URL:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght2006_11.exe

Version XP027:
- included in Windows Vista
- no documentation included
- runs only under Vista, not supported under Windows XP/2003

The following problem exists:
Normaly you get the result of a robocopy-execution as exit code and you
can fetch it for example by using the ERRORLEVEL in your batchfiles.

The versions XP010 and XP027 are working correct like it is discribed
in the robocopy documenation for version XP010:

==============================================================
robocopy.exe [SRC] [DEST] /S /E
if errorlevel 16 echo ***FATAL ERROR*** & goto end
if errorlevel 15 echo FAIL MISM XTRA COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 14 echo FAIL MISM XTRA & goto end
if errorlevel 13 echo FAIL MISM COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 12 echo FAIL MISM & goto end
if errorlevel 11 echo FAIL XTRA COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 10 echo FAIL XTRA & goto end
if errorlevel 9 echo FAIL COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 8 echo FAIL & goto end
if errorlevel 7 echo MISM XTRA COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 6 echo MISM XTRA & goto end
if errorlevel 5 echo MISM COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 4 echo MISM & goto end
if errorlevel 3 echo XTRA COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 2 echo XTRA & goto end
if errorlevel 1 echo COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 0 echo --no change-- & goto end
:end
==============================================================

For example, if you call robocopy with wrong parameters, it gives the
exitcode
ERRORLEVEL=16 - FATAL ERROR

Or if robocopy has successfully copied some files it gives the result
ERRORLEVEL=1

Now the problem: Version XP026 gives always the result ERRORLEVEL=0, no
matter
if there where some files copied or if you give incorrect parameters.
So it not possible to react on the exit code of robocopy XP026 in your batch
file.

Could someone confirm this false behaviour of robocopy XP026?

Has anyone a bugfix or workaround for this problem?

I am also interested, if there is an actual, official documentation for
robocopy XP026 or XP027.

Has anyone a trick, how it is possible to run the Vista version XP027 under
Windows XP/2003?

Thanks for any sugestion, hint or reply.

Tom



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-09-2007
Pegasus \(MVP\)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Problem with ROBOCOPY version XP026 an ERRORLEVEL


"Tom Meier" <meiertom@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:fbuokc$1sh$1@online.de...
> Hello,
>
> i have a problem with robocopy.
>
> There are 3 different versions of robocopy:
>
> Version XP010:
> - included in Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
> - has complete documentation included
> - URL:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>
> Version XP026:
> - included in Microsoft Robocopy GUI
> - only the documentation of version XP010 included - new parameters of
> version XP026 are not described
> - URL:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght2006_11.exe
>
> Version XP027:
> - included in Windows Vista
> - no documentation included
> - runs only under Vista, not supported under Windows XP/2003
>
> The following problem exists:
> Normaly you get the result of a robocopy-execution as exit code and you
> can fetch it for example by using the ERRORLEVEL in your batchfiles.
>
> The versions XP010 and XP027 are working correct like it is discribed
> in the robocopy documenation for version XP010:
>
> ==============================================================
> robocopy.exe [SRC] [DEST] /S /E
> if errorlevel 16 echo ***FATAL ERROR*** & goto end
> if errorlevel 15 echo FAIL MISM XTRA COPY & goto end
> if errorlevel 14 echo FAIL MISM XTRA & goto end
> if errorlevel 13 echo FAIL MISM COPY & goto end
> if errorlevel 12 echo FAIL MISM & goto end
> if errorlevel 11 echo FAIL XTRA COPY & goto end
> if errorlevel 10 echo FAIL XTRA & goto end
> if errorlevel 9 echo FAIL COPY & goto end
> if errorlevel 8 echo FAIL & goto end
> if errorlevel 7 echo MISM XTRA COPY & goto end
> if errorlevel 6 echo MISM XTRA & goto end
> if errorlevel 5 echo MISM COPY & goto end
> if errorlevel 4 echo MISM & goto end
> if errorlevel 3 echo XTRA COPY & goto end
> if errorlevel 2 echo XTRA & goto end
> if errorlevel 1 echo COPY & goto end
> if errorlevel 0 echo --no change-- & goto end
> :end
> ==============================================================
>
> For example, if you call robocopy with wrong parameters, it gives the
> exitcode
> ERRORLEVEL=16 - FATAL ERROR
>
> Or if robocopy has successfully copied some files it gives the result
> ERRORLEVEL=1
>
> Now the problem: Version XP026 gives always the result ERRORLEVEL=0, no
> matter
> if there where some files copied or if you give incorrect parameters.
> So it not possible to react on the exit code of robocopy XP026 in your
> batch file.
>
> Could someone confirm this false behaviour of robocopy XP026?
>
> Has anyone a bugfix or workaround for this problem?
>
> I am also interested, if there is an actual, official documentation for
> robocopy XP026 or XP027.
>
> Has anyone a trick, how it is possible to run the Vista version XP027
> under Windows XP/2003?
>
> Thanks for any sugestion, hint or reply.
>
> Tom
>
>


Strange. Two days ago you asked much the same question in a
WinXP newsgroup under the name of Alex Taylor. Was this
your twin brother?

You report that Version 10 works correctly in a WinXP/2003
environment. Why then would you want to use Version 27, which
is meant for Vista?


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2007
Tom Meier
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Problem with ROBOCOPY version XP026 an ERRORLEVEL


> Strange. Two days ago you asked much the same question in a
> WinXP newsgroup under the name of Alex Taylor. Was this
> your twin brother?


No, that's not my twin brother (and not me myself).
it seems to be someone who has the same problem and is searching for an
answer too.

>
> You report that Version 10 works correctly in a WinXP/2003
> environment. Why then would you want to use Version 27, which
> is meant for Vista?


The reason is, that i want to use the new features of XP026 (like /DCOPY:T
, /SECFIX, /XJD, /XJF,..) but without a correct ERRORLEVEL i can not use
robocopy as i like.


Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Problem with ROBOCOPY version XP026 an ERRORLEVEL"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Robocopy Help Lilli35 Windows Software 1 07-07-2011 12:14 AM
Problem of dates with Robocopy cobra2008 Windows Software 3 16-10-2009 11:47 PM
Robocopy help Cyborg Windows Server Help 5 31-07-2008 04:01 PM
Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0,version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? Frragrant Windows XP Support 2 08-02-2008 09:15 PM
Robocopy problem Hugo Windows Server Help 7 02-10-2007 10:41 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:32 PM.