Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Slow access to mapped network drive

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-09-2007
Gert
 
Posts: n/a
Slow access to mapped network drive

Hello,

Using Windows Server 2003 I have created a fileserver. Several folder are
shared (with a $ at the end to be hidden). On several computers running
Windows XP SP2 these folders are mapped as network drive.
When accessing these drives using the command line they open up immediatly
but using the windows explorer it can take up to a minute to open. Once
opened they work fast but after some idle time the same delay reappears.

The computers are not in a Domain, but in the same workgroup. The drives are
mapped by IP (class B network)

Is it possible to speed up the initial connection using the windows explorer?

Thanks,

Gert

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2007
Phillip Windell
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Slow access to mapped network drive

"Gert" <Gert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5997614D-BE30-490B-AE78-57E774292A26@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible to speed up the initial connection using the windows
> explorer?


Use Shortcuts instead of mapped drives.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
-----------------------------------------------------


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13-09-2007
Gert
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Slow access to mapped network drive

Hi,

We have tried to use shortcuts to the shares, but they are also very slow
when accessing them the first time (and again after a period of idle).

Also some SMB signing was turned off, but that also didnt help. Accessing
shares from client to client (winxp to winxp) is working correctly, only the
shares at the server (winserver2003) are very slow.
Do you have any idea what else could be the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Gert

"Phillip Windell" wrote:

> "Gert" <Gert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5997614D-BE30-490B-AE78-57E774292A26@microsoft.com...
> > Is it possible to speed up the initial connection using the windows
> > explorer?

>
> Use Shortcuts instead of mapped drives.
>
> --
> Phillip Windell
> www.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
> -----------------------------------------------------
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2007
wolfur
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Slow access to mapped network drive

Hi Gert,
I've he same problem, did you resolve it in the meantime?
regards
Uli

"Gert" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have tried to use shortcuts to the shares, but they are also very slow
> when accessing them the first time (and again after a period of idle).
>
> Also some SMB signing was turned off, but that also didnt help. Accessing
> shares from client to client (winxp to winxp) is working correctly, only the
> shares at the server (winserver2003) are very slow.
> Do you have any idea what else could be the issue?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gert
>
> "Phillip Windell" wrote:
>
> > "Gert" <Gert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:5997614D-BE30-490B-AE78-57E774292A26@microsoft.com...
> > > Is it possible to speed up the initial connection using the windows
> > > explorer?

> >
> > Use Shortcuts instead of mapped drives.
> >
> > --
> > Phillip Windell
> > www.wandtv.com
> >
> > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
> > or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
> > -----------------------------------------------------
> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2007
Gert
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Slow access to mapped network drive

Hi Uli,

It seems like it is the built in windows firewall which slows down
everything.. Disabling it makes the shares just as fast as expected from
winxp to winxp shares.

For some security we used the IPSEC part of winserver2003 to allow access
from only certain ip-adresses.

Hope this helps,

Gert

"wolfur" wrote:

> Hi Gert,
> I've he same problem, did you resolve it in the meantime?
> regards
> Uli
>
> "Gert" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have tried to use shortcuts to the shares, but they are also very slow
> > when accessing them the first time (and again after a period of idle).
> >
> > Also some SMB signing was turned off, but that also didnt help. Accessing
> > shares from client to client (winxp to winxp) is working correctly, only the
> > shares at the server (winserver2003) are very slow.
> > Do you have any idea what else could be the issue?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Gert
> >
> > "Phillip Windell" wrote:
> >
> > > "Gert" <Gert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:5997614D-BE30-490B-AE78-57E774292A26@microsoft.com...
> > > > Is it possible to speed up the initial connection using the windows
> > > > explorer?
> > >
> > > Use Shortcuts instead of mapped drives.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Phillip Windell
> > > www.wandtv.com
> > >
> > > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
> > > or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
> > > -----------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >
> > >

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Slow access to mapped network drive"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restrict some users to access Mapped Network Drive in Windows 7 michaels Networking & Security 4 01-02-2011 04:05 PM
Remove previously mapped network drive Raas Vista Help 9 24-11-2010 11:51 AM
Access to the resource [mapped drive letter] has been disallowed. prakashseth Windows Security 2 28-12-2009 04:55 AM
Disconnect a network mapped drive in Windows XP Ebadaah Networking & Security 3 27-07-2009 01:20 PM
Very slow connection to a drive mapped to domain DFS root agcastle2000 Windows Server Help 2 21-10-2006 11:46 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:15 PM.