We have a Windows 2003 server, SP2, (member server) that started becoming
unresponsive once or twice a day. The event viewer shows three different
Event ID 1053 events:
1) Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The RPC server is
unavailable.). Group Policy processing aborted.
2) Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The specified domain
either does not exist or could not be contacted.). Group Policy processing
3) Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (Not enough storage
is available to complete this operation.). Group Policy processing aborted.
The console is somewhat functional in that the keyboard and mouse work.
However, you can't do practically anything from the console - even an
ipconfig throws an error. You can't access anything on the server over the
In looking through some articles, I got a hint that this might be an issue
with the handles created by a process, so within the task manager, handles
were added to the columns. After a reboot, spoolsv had around 260 handles.
When the server crashed, spoolsv had over 12,000 handles. Even after
terminating the spoolsv service, the system still didn't respond properly
until a reboot.
I'm not sure what is causing the spoolsv to flake out and how to resolve
this problem, or even if there is something else going on.
I did run across another article that said to use pstat.exe for
troubleshooting, but I couldn't find a copy for Win2K3.
Thanks for any guidance.