Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Low disk Space - Server 2003

Windows Server Help

Old 27-06-2007
DAiuto

Low disk Space - Server 2003

I'm getting low disk space on my primary application server. It's also
running Terminal Server. I can't seem to free up any space.
Here are the locations taking up a lot of space:
[448MB] c:\windows\system32\(files)
[339MB] c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\(files)
[694MB] c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\(files)
[692MB] c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$
[402MB] c:\windows\i386\(files)
[890MB] c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\(subfolders)

What is safe to delete?
Can I move anything to the other partitiion? If so what else will I need to
change?

Old 27-06-2007
Pegasus \(MVP\)

Have a look at the discussion in the thread "Folders and disk space",
posted in this forum 9 days ago.

The windows\$NtUninstall*$ files are typically windows updates folders and can be deleted. Note that if you delete them you can't uninstall them later.

Agreed... and for future reference, you'll want 20GB on a system partition
on a new 2003 server with nothing but the OS there.

I often move those folders to another partition so I can still uninstall
them at a later date by returning them to C.
Old 26-07-2010

Re: Low disk Space - Server 2003

Windows cleanup utility can only free up a little free space, it is useless. You may uninstall some files, but don't delete Windows files in my opinon, it is not safe, the best way is to extend the system partition.
Many posts in the forum can help you extend partition, for example How to extend C drive on Windows 2003 Server
Old 09-08-2010
Microgood

It is troublesome when drive c is low disk space, in my opinion, the best way is to backup and extend the c drive. There are many tools to extend partition on the Servers. See this page, I just read, I agree with it, it is easy to solve the problem.
Old 28-08-2010

My C partition which windows is installed is getting lower of freespace... it appears i have only 150 mb or something like that and i clean it..then i have 600 mb...i look to the space and it gets lower 1 mb per 3-5 sec.... i don't know what o do.... i have some full memory error or kinda .....my pc turrnof sometimes and an error appears that windows stopped for safely because no memory .... sory for my english,i think ill buy and install windows 7..
Old 28-08-2010

Hi sharkk34,

Could you tell us which operating system are you using and how much free disk space are you having on your windows drive? To disable low disk space checks, follow these steps, log off, and then log on again: Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:
  • Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  • Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
  • On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  • Type NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, and then press ENTER.
  • On the Edit menu, click Modify.
Old 22-11-2010

If there is no free space on the system, you'd better extend this partition. The Windows cleanup utility and other tools is useless to solve this problem, as it can only freeup litter space, so the low disk space problem will occure later. How to extend the partitions, refer another post How to extend C drive on Windows 2003 Server

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , , , ,