Thread: Microsoft Error Reporting (dw20.exe) Installation Location

GoranJ Guest

Microsoft Error Reporting (dw20.exe) Installation Location

I recently set up Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit. After running Windows Update
    I found that Microsoft Error Reporting (dw20.exe) was installed in D:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW
    Obviously one of the updates did not read the %CommonProgramFiles% parameter
    correct and placed the application on the wrong disk.
    Since I want my applications on Local Disk C: (C:\Program Files) I need a
    way to move the Microsoft Error Reporting Application to the preferred disk.

Re: Microsoft Error Reporting (dw20.exe) Installation Location

Were you able to achieve this?
    I also faced the same issue and was unable to move the error reporting to C:\

Please help me with the steps to be carried out if you were able to move them.

Microsoft Error Reporting is a client application for reporting crashes and errors to Microsoft. It is designed for use with applications running on operating systems earlier than Windows Vista, which instead offers this functionality through the WER API. (32 printed pages). I think it is better if you check the below given link for same.
    Error Reporting.

Thanks for the reply. But I already checked the link.

Let me explain my scenario..

My databases are stored in E:\ and the size of databases is increasing rapidly.
    We decided to create a new drive, three times the older drive size and move all databases to that location. But unfortunately the Error reporting is also installed on same drive. Now we need to release that drive.

How can we achieve this?

From the microsoft site:

DW20.exe is the "Watson" crash reporting utility that Microsoft uses to help developers choose which bugs impact real customers the most and therefore need to be fixed first. The .NET Framework is including support for this system for the first time in version 2.0 which will be a great benefit for all. Since we are dealing with the 64-bit version here, and Watson is a non-managed executable, the installer provides both a 32- and 64-bit version, one in the "Program Files (x86)" directory and one in "Program Files". The installer has logic to detect where the "Program Files" should be installed, but due to a missing bit of information, it is incorrect for the 64-bit version and it ends up on the drive that has the most free space.

If you delete these files, your computer will be unable to report crashes to Microsoft that occur in 64-bit .NET processes. I will now explain an alternative that may or may not work in your case.

First, copy all those files from "D:\Program Files\..." to "C:\Pragram Files\..."
    Then, so that the CLR will know where you have put in, open the 64-bit version of your registry editor, and change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\Installed\DW0201 to match the new drive. (C:\... instead of D:\...)

Thank you for the reply.

I will try to create a test environment with 64-bit and try your steps.
    I also observed that some hotfixes are also installed on the same drive. Only way to move hotfixes might be reinstalling them, i guess.

thanks a lot.

we have DW20.EXE file in three locations. 2003 64bit server with SQL 2005.
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW
    C:\Program Files(X86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW
    E:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW

can i delete the DW20.EXE files from E drive or i need to move them to other location??

Hi v235,

If you add the property ROOTDRIVE=%SystemDrive%\ to MSIEXEC command line, DW will be installed to the correct drive.

First you have to extract the dotnetfx_64.exe:

Run following command to extract out MSI package
    dotnetfx_64.exe /c /t:%Temp%\DotNet

This extracts out MSI and supporting installation files to the %Temp%\DotNet folder.

Now you can install .Net 2.0 with the following command:

msiexec /i "%Depot%netfx.msi" ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1 ADDEPLOY=1 ROOTDRIVE=%SystemDrive%\

If you want to install dotnet silent, add /qn to the command line.

If you need a install log file, add /l*v "%Temp%\DotNet.log" to the command line. The log file will be created in your %Temp% folder.