Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Enable Write Disk Caching not saving (Server 2003)

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 30-04-2007
daniel.dryhurst@gmail.com
 
Posts: n/a
Enable Write Disk Caching not saving (Server 2003)

Hi

I have recently built and configured a new server (HP DL360 G5
series), with two 70GB hard disks configured as the default Raid 1 in
the hardware.

I have not promoted it to a domain controller and the only role set is
that of a file server. One of the legacy applications that it is for
requires 'Write Disk Caching' enabling.

So I go into the device manager disk properties and click on the
policies tab to enable it. I get a message underneath the check box
along the lines of:

"This device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified"

So, I check the box anyway and then when I go back in the setting
hasn't saved at all. I have checked the following registry setting:

HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Enum/SCSI/VotreHardDisk/SerialNum/
DeviceParameters/Disk/UserWriteCacheSetting which is set to a value of
'1'.

I have checked the event log and got the following information:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 34
Date: 30/04/2007
Time: 09:18:19
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxx
Description:
The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0f 00 04 00 01 00 62 00 ......b.
0008: 00 00 00 00 22 00 04 80 ...."..
0010: 01 00 00 00 10 00 00 c0 .......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 ....

I have been into the BIOS and cannot see any settings related to DMA/
Write caching etc. I have also tried the HP Array Configuration
Utility which only has options for acceleration whch are on default
settings. I'm really at a loss here, as far as I know these settings
should be allowed.

I know that it is DEFINITELY not switched on though registry indicates
differently because on the old NT4 server a file scan takes 25 seconds
and on the new hardware it takes upwards of 5 minutes.

Can anyone please help me?


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30-04-2007
George Valkov
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Enable Write Disk Caching not saving (Server 2003)

You may try to install a UPS and if the driver knows that the power is
backed up, it may eventually enable the write cache, but I have no
experience with UPS or hardware disk arrays, so I am only making a guess
here. Good Luck!

George Valkov


<daniel.dryhurst ?@gmail?com> wrote:
Hi
I have recently built and configured a new server (HP DL360 G5
series), with two 70GB hard disks configured as the default Raid 1 in
the hardware.

I have not promoted it to a domain controller and the only role set is
that of a file server. One of the legacy applications that it is for
requires 'Write Disk Caching' enabling.

So I go into the device manager disk properties and click on the
policies tab to enable it. I get a message underneath the check box
along the lines of:

"This device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified"

So, I check the box anyway and then when I go back in the setting
hasn't saved at all. I have checked the following registry setting:

HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Enum/SCSI/VotreHardDisk/SerialNum/
DeviceParameters/Disk/UserWriteCacheSetting which is set to a value of
'1'.

I have checked the event log and got the following information:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 34
Date: 30/04/2007
Time: 09:18:19
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxx
Description:
The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0f 00 04 00 01 00 62 00 ......b.
0008: 00 00 00 00 22 00 04 80 ...."..?
0010: 01 00 00 00 10 00 00 c0 .......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 ....

I have been into the BIOS and cannot see any settings related to DMA/
Write caching etc. I have also tried the HP Array Configuration
Utility which only has options for acceleration whch are on default
settings. I'm really at a loss here, as far as I know these settings
should be allowed.

I know that it is DEFINITELY not switched on though registry indicates
differently because on the old NT4 server a file scan takes 25 seconds
and on the new hardware it takes upwards of 5 minutes.

Can anyone please help me?


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17-06-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
In my experience, HP and Compaq hardware RAID cards will not allow write caching unless they have the appropriate battery backed cache module installed.

Dango
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17-06-2007
DevilsPGD
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Enable Write Disk Caching not saving (Server 2003)

In message <Dango.2sbyfk@DoNotSpam.com> Dango
<Dango.2sbyfk@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>In my experience, HP and Compaq hardware RAID cards will not allow write
>caching unless they have the appropriate battery backed cache module
>installed.


What horrible design :(

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-06-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
It's actually for the user's protection... The battery backed cache will keep any data in the raid controller's memory in the event of a power outage. It also stops data being lost if the server was to bluescreen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-06-2007
DevilsPGD
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Enable Write Disk Caching not saving (Server 2003)

In message <Dango.2sc9ji@DoNotSpam.com> Dango
<Dango.2sc9ji@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>It's actually for the user's protection... The battery backed cache will
>keep any data in the raid controller's memory in the event of a power
>outage. It also stops data being lost if the server was to bluescreen.


As I said, what horrible design. Defaulting to disabling write caching
is reasonable, preventing it outright is just plain wrong unless it can
magically detect an external UPS.

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , , , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Enable Write Disk Caching not saving (Server 2003)"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to enable SSD caching on Asus P9X79 Deluxe My Name Motherboard Processor & RAM 5 23-02-2012 09:32 AM
ESX disk write caching enabled or not brynhildur Hardware Peripherals 4 22-11-2010 06:20 AM
How enable L2TP VPN for windows 2003 server? moh3en Windows Server Help 3 11-08-2010 12:44 AM
Drive write caching disabled in Windows 7 X-Man Operating Systems 3 04-05-2009 02:31 PM
disabling write caching in winxp-pro SP3 - greyed out Tim Windows XP Support 1 27-04-2009 09:57 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:10 PM.