Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Not able to ping

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-02-2007
stumped
 
Posts: n/a
Not able to ping

I am working on Windows Server 2003.. i am unable to ping the machine from
itself... this is occuring even when i am giving the IP address.. but i am
able to ping the machine from another machine..could someone suggest a
solution for this...???
--
A Diamond is a just Piece of Coal that did well under pressure.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2007
Herb Martin
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Not able to ping


"stumped" <stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:20165A42-08BB-4868-91AC-D5AE3282E8E1@microsoft.com...
>I am working on Windows Server 2003.. i am unable to ping the machine from
> itself... this is occuring even when i am giving the IP address.. but i am
> able to ping the machine from another machine..could someone suggest a
> solution for this...???


Unlikely to be an accurate report -- sorry for saying this but it just isn't
likely.

If you ping 192.168.2.1 from another machine successfully you will
(practically)
always be able to ping that SAME machine from its own command prompt.

Most likely the IP address is being used by another machine.

Have you tried pinging 127.0.0.1?

IF this fails then IP is not initialized and bound to an adapter and this
would
pretty much prove that you are reaching some OTHER machines when you
do the ping remotely.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
http://www.LearnQuick.Com
(phone on web site)


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2007
stumped
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Not able to ping

now that you had mentioned it i tried the whole procedure again.. i noticed
that when i pinged the machine with its name it showed an IP address
aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.. but when i did the same from another machine it showed as
aaa.bbb.ccc.eee... So i tried the latter IP address from the local machine
and was able to ping it... as far as 127.0.0.1 goes i am able to get a
response for that ...

--
A Diamond is a just Piece of Coal that did well under pressure.


"Herb Martin" wrote:

>
> "stumped" <stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:20165A42-08BB-4868-91AC-D5AE3282E8E1@microsoft.com...
> >I am working on Windows Server 2003.. i am unable to ping the machine from
> > itself... this is occuring even when i am giving the IP address.. but i am
> > able to ping the machine from another machine..could someone suggest a
> > solution for this...???

>
> Unlikely to be an accurate report -- sorry for saying this but it just isn't
> likely.
>
> If you ping 192.168.2.1 from another machine successfully you will
> (practically)
> always be able to ping that SAME machine from its own command prompt.
>
> Most likely the IP address is being used by another machine.
>
> Have you tried pinging 127.0.0.1?
>
> IF this fails then IP is not initialized and bound to an adapter and this
> would
> pretty much prove that you are reaching some OTHER machines when you
> do the ping remotely.
>
> --
> Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
> http://www.LearnQuick.Com
> (phone on web site)
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2007
AJR
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Not able to ping

To ping a computer "itself " from its keyboard- you ping 127.0.0.1 or ping
localhost.

"stumped" <stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:20165A42-08BB-4868-91AC-D5AE3282E8E1@microsoft.com...
>I am working on Windows Server 2003.. i am unable to ping the machine from
> itself... this is occuring even when i am giving the IP address.. but i am
> able to ping the machine from another machine..could someone suggest a
> solution for this...???
> --
> A Diamond is a just Piece of Coal that did well under pressure.



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2007
Herb Martin
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Not able to ping


"stumped" <stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:46C81932-3435-4136-8EC8-1554C5E78AEF@microsoft.com...
> now that you had mentioned it i tried the whole procedure again.. i
> noticed
> that when i pinged the machine with its name it showed an IP address
> aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.. but when i did the same from another machine it showed
> as
> aaa.bbb.ccc.eee... So i tried the latter IP address from the local machine
> and was able to ping it... as far as 127.0.0.1 goes i am able to get a
> response for that ...


When working from the machine itself you should always be double checking
(what you think is) the IP by running IPConfig:

IPconfig /all

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
http://www.LearnQuick.Com
(phone on web site)


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-2007
Herb Martin
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Not able to ping


"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23FP3%238hSHHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> To ping a computer "itself " from its keyboard- you ping 127.0.0.1 or ping
> localhost.


There is nothing wrong with also using the IP. They are almost precisely
equivalent in effect.


--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
http://www.LearnQuick.Com
(phone on web site)
> "stumped" <stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:20165A42-08BB-4868-91AC-D5AE3282E8E1@microsoft.com...
>>I am working on Windows Server 2003.. i am unable to ping the machine from
>> itself... this is occuring even when i am giving the IP address.. but i
>> am
>> able to ping the machine from another machine..could someone suggest a
>> solution for this...???




Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Not able to ping"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless cannot ping / ethernet can ping Nereus Networking & Security 6 14-08-2010 05:56 AM
NSLookup can resolve domain names, Ping can not resolve. Can ping IP finnce Networking & Security 3 05-02-2009 02:27 PM
How to Ping? Maximus() Technology & Internet 5 12-01-2009 06:30 AM
I can ping with IPv6. I can not ping with IPv4. Eric Gamess Vista Help 2 04-05-2008 01:31 AM
Can resolve DNS, can ping IP, but can't ping by DNS?? Bryan L Windows Server Help 14 23-01-2007 03:51 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:13 PM.