Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 31-01-2007
kalamiti
 
Posts: n/a
Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

I am trying to run an inventory program and it is failing because of WMI
errors the seem to be RPC related. I have been testing the problem with
wbemtest. I get the RPC unavailable error and in the event viewer it shows up
with this error DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer name using
any of the configured protocols. All od the port are unblocked between the
servers and the one I am using and I have tested some ports with telnet:
135,139,445. The account has admin access and can be used to remote and of
the servers I am trying to inventory. Please help


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31-01-2007
Ace Fekay [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

In news:2D2868A5-2881-4CB6-AFBB-92B5ECF1129D@microsoft.com,
kalamiti <kalamiti@discussions.microsoft.com> stated, which I commented on
below:
> I am trying to run an inventory program and it is failing because of
> WMI errors the seem to be RPC related. I have been testing the
> problem with wbemtest. I get the RPC unavailable error and in the
> event viewer it shows up with this error DCOM was unable to
> communicate with the computer name using any of the configured
> protocols. All od the port are unblocked between the servers and the
> one I am using and I have tested some ports with telnet: 135,139,445.
> The account has admin access and can be used to remote and of the
> servers I am trying to inventory. Please help


Usually RPC errors are due to name resolution or blocked ports. Keep in
mind, the ports you mentioned are not the only ports required. Besides
authentication traffic ports (Kerberos, LDAP, GC, etc), it also needs UDP
>1023 wide open.


Back to name resolution: What DNS addresses is the workstation running the
app using in it's IP properties? Is this all setup in an AD environment? If
so, and using the wrong DNS addresses, this can be the cause. But there are
other issues that can cause it to that is related to DNS and AD
misconfiguration.

So it depends on your environment, configuration and infrastructure. If you
can elaborate and offer an ipconfig /all of this workstation for starters,
and possibly of one of your local DCs, we can see if that part is configured
correctly. If going across a router to authenticate/connect, then also make
sure all ports are opened as well as leaving the MTU settings to 1500. ADSL
is also known to cause RPC issues across a VPN using ADSL as one of the
endpoints.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)
Willow Grove, PA

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2007
kalamiti
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

Thank you for the assistance. I did not reply sooner because I imported the
physical server to a virtual machine to try it from a wide open subnet. I
checked the DNS IPs and they are correct. This is an AD enviroment. I could
not get a screen shot of ipconfig /all to paste into this box so I am not
sure how to get it to you. I have checked and they are pointed at the
correct DNS servers and the port are unblocked. If there is any other
information you need please let me know. Again I appreciate the assistance.

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:2D2868A5-2881-4CB6-AFBB-92B5ECF1129D@microsoft.com,
> kalamiti <kalamiti@discussions.microsoft.com> stated, which I commented on
> below:
> > I am trying to run an inventory program and it is failing because of
> > WMI errors the seem to be RPC related. I have been testing the
> > problem with wbemtest. I get the RPC unavailable error and in the
> > event viewer it shows up with this error DCOM was unable to
> > communicate with the computer name using any of the configured
> > protocols. All od the port are unblocked between the servers and the
> > one I am using and I have tested some ports with telnet: 135,139,445.
> > The account has admin access and can be used to remote and of the
> > servers I am trying to inventory. Please help

>
> Usually RPC errors are due to name resolution or blocked ports. Keep in
> mind, the ports you mentioned are not the only ports required. Besides
> authentication traffic ports (Kerberos, LDAP, GC, etc), it also needs UDP
> >1023 wide open.

>
> Back to name resolution: What DNS addresses is the workstation running the
> app using in it's IP properties? Is this all setup in an AD environment? If
> so, and using the wrong DNS addresses, this can be the cause. But there are
> other issues that can cause it to that is related to DNS and AD
> misconfiguration.
>
> So it depends on your environment, configuration and infrastructure. If you
> can elaborate and offer an ipconfig /all of this workstation for starters,
> and possibly of one of your local DCs, we can see if that part is configured
> correctly. If going across a router to authenticate/connect, then also make
> sure all ports are opened as well as leaving the MTU settings to 1500. ADSL
> is also known to cause RPC issues across a VPN using ADSL as one of the
> endpoints.
>
> --
> Ace
> Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)
> Willow Grove, PA
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>
> Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
> Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
> or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
> news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
> Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
> to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
> watched threads or subject.
> It's easy:
>
> How to Configure OEx for Internet News
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164
>
> Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
> Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
> "Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."
>
> The only constant in life is change...
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2007
kalamiti
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

Here are the screen shots.

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

U:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hfsnm121-0380
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
ds.ky.gov
ky.gov

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-E2-A2-3C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.35.76
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.35.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.23.9
172.26.23.11
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 162.114.131.2
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 162.114.192.70

U:\>



Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

U:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HFSNM121-0380A
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
ds.ky.gov
ky.gov

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-CD-DD-4B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.47.52
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.47.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.62.18
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.23.9
172.26.23.11
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 162.114.131.2
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 162.114.192.70
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:39:24 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 04, 2007 11:39:24 AM

U:\>



"kalamiti" wrote:

> Thank you for the assistance. I did not reply sooner because I imported the
> physical server to a virtual machine to try it from a wide open subnet. I
> checked the DNS IPs and they are correct. This is an AD enviroment. I could
> not get a screen shot of ipconfig /all to paste into this box so I am not
> sure how to get it to you. I have checked and they are pointed at the
> correct DNS servers and the port are unblocked. If there is any other
> information you need please let me know. Again I appreciate the assistance.
>
> "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > In news:2D2868A5-2881-4CB6-AFBB-92B5ECF1129D@microsoft.com,
> > kalamiti <kalamiti@discussions.microsoft.com> stated, which I commented on
> > below:
> > > I am trying to run an inventory program and it is failing because of
> > > WMI errors the seem to be RPC related. I have been testing the
> > > problem with wbemtest. I get the RPC unavailable error and in the
> > > event viewer it shows up with this error DCOM was unable to
> > > communicate with the computer name using any of the configured
> > > protocols. All od the port are unblocked between the servers and the
> > > one I am using and I have tested some ports with telnet: 135,139,445.
> > > The account has admin access and can be used to remote and of the
> > > servers I am trying to inventory. Please help

> >
> > Usually RPC errors are due to name resolution or blocked ports. Keep in
> > mind, the ports you mentioned are not the only ports required. Besides
> > authentication traffic ports (Kerberos, LDAP, GC, etc), it also needs UDP
> > >1023 wide open.

> >
> > Back to name resolution: What DNS addresses is the workstation running the
> > app using in it's IP properties? Is this all setup in an AD environment? If
> > so, and using the wrong DNS addresses, this can be the cause. But there are
> > other issues that can cause it to that is related to DNS and AD
> > misconfiguration.
> >
> > So it depends on your environment, configuration and infrastructure. If you
> > can elaborate and offer an ipconfig /all of this workstation for starters,
> > and possibly of one of your local DCs, we can see if that part is configured
> > correctly. If going across a router to authenticate/connect, then also make
> > sure all ports are opened as well as leaving the MTU settings to 1500. ADSL
> > is also known to cause RPC issues across a VPN using ADSL as one of the
> > endpoints.
> >
> > --
> > Ace
> > Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)
> > Willow Grove, PA
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> > confers no rights.
> >
> > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> > Microsoft Certified Trainer
> >
> > Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
> > Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
> > or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
> > news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
> > Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
> > to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
> > watched threads or subject.
> > It's easy:
> >
> > How to Configure OEx for Internet News
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164
> >
> > Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
> > Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
> > "Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."
> >
> > The only constant in life is change...
> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2007
Ace Fekay [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

In news:C90D1789-E2EE-444C-93DB-D75D72B41251@microsoft.com,
kalamiti <kalamiti@discussions.microsoft.com> stated, which I commented on
below:
> Here are the screen shots.
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
>
> U:\>ipconfig /all
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hfsnm121-0380
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
> ds.ky.gov
> ky.gov
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit
> Ethernet Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-E2-A2-3C
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.35.76
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.35.1
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.23.9
> 172.26.23.11
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 162.114.131.2
> Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 162.114.192.70
>
> U:\>
>
>
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
>
> U:\>ipconfig /all
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HFSNM121-0380A
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
> ds.ky.gov
> ky.gov
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : chfs.ds.ky.gov
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet
> Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-CD-DD-4B
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.47.52
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.47.1
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.62.18
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.23.9
> 172.26.23.11
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 162.114.131.2
> Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 162.114.192.70
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 01, 2007
> 11:39:24 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February
> 04, 2007 11:39:24 AM
>
> U:\>


Thanks for posting the ipconfigs. Sorry I am responding so late. Been busy
on my end.

The only thing I question is whether or not the server you are trying to
communicate with in your inventory program has a record in DNS. I notice
there are multiple DNS servers available in the infrastructure. Being a
government ogranization, I can understand it being a large infrastructure.

Test this for me:

nslookup (enter the name of the computer your app is tryuing to communicate
with here)

Let me know if it resolves.

Ace



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2007
kalamiti
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

I ran nslook up result below. Then I tried wbemtest and received the WIN32
RPC server unavailable error. What should I try next I am sorry but I am
still confussed.

U:\>nslookup hfsoh121-0375.chfs.ds.ky.gov
*** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.9: Non-existent domain
*** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.11: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server: UnKnown
Address: 172.26.23.9

Name: hfsoh121-0375.chfs.ds.ky.gov
Address: 172.26.21.84

"kalamiti" wrote:

> I am trying to run an inventory program and it is failing because of WMI
> errors the seem to be RPC related. I have been testing the problem with
> wbemtest. I get the RPC unavailable error and in the event viewer it shows up
> with this error DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer name using
> any of the configured protocols. All od the port are unblocked between the
> servers and the one I am using and I have tested some ports with telnet:
> 135,139,445. The account has admin access and can be used to remote and of
> the servers I am trying to inventory. Please help
>

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-02-2007
Ace Fekay [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

In news:11F7E75D-1CF7-48F1-93D7-E90A3C2DA233@microsoft.com,
kalamiti <kalamiti@discussions.microsoft.com> stated, which I commented on
below:
> I ran nslook up result below. Then I tried wbemtest and received the
> WIN32 RPC server unavailable error. What should I try next I am
> sorry but I am still confussed.
>
> U:\>nslookup hfsoh121-0375.chfs.ds.ky.gov
> *** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.9: Non-existent
> domain
> *** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.11: Non-existent
> domain
> *** Default servers are not available
> Server: UnKnown
> Address: 172.26.23.9
>
> Name: hfsoh121-0375.chfs.ds.ky.gov
> Address: 172.26.21.84
>


The message saying:
*** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.9: Non-existent domain
*** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.11: Non-existent domain

Is just telling you that there is no reverse entry for those two IP
addresses. In other words, there may be no reverse zone, or if there is,
there is no entry for these two DNS servers in the organization's reverse
zone for 172.26.x.x. That is something you will need to discuss with your
network administrators.

At the same token, it wouldn't have anything to do with your WBEM test
failures.

I think it's a firewall rule blocking something or the machine that WBEM is
tryhing to get to has no DNS forward look up entry.

What machine is the WBEM test trying to communicate with? Can you ping the
machine by it's NetBIOS name and by it's FQDN?

Ace



Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-02-2007
kalamiti
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

Thanks again for the assistance.
I don't believe it is a firewall rule because the subnet I am using belong
to a group of engineers including my self and we have a firewall rule that
opens our subnet to all of our server on any port.
I can ping by netbios name and by FQDN.
I have also used telnet to check the port the software is using on a couple
of the machines giving me problems. The port being used are 135-139 and 445.
Even if the app needs a different port it should already be open.
Thank Again



"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:11F7E75D-1CF7-48F1-93D7-E90A3C2DA233@microsoft.com,
> kalamiti <kalamiti@discussions.microsoft.com> stated, which I commented on
> below:
> > I ran nslook up result below. Then I tried wbemtest and received the
> > WIN32 RPC server unavailable error. What should I try next I am
> > sorry but I am still confussed.
> >
> > U:\>nslookup hfsoh121-0375.chfs.ds.ky.gov
> > *** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.9: Non-existent
> > domain
> > *** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.11: Non-existent
> > domain
> > *** Default servers are not available
> > Server: UnKnown
> > Address: 172.26.23.9
> >
> > Name: hfsoh121-0375.chfs.ds.ky.gov
> > Address: 172.26.21.84
> >

>
> The message saying:
> *** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.9: Non-existent domain
> *** Can't find server name for address 172.26.23.11: Non-existent domain
>
> Is just telling you that there is no reverse entry for those two IP
> addresses. In other words, there may be no reverse zone, or if there is,
> there is no entry for these two DNS servers in the organization's reverse
> zone for 172.26.x.x. That is something you will need to discuss with your
> network administrators.
>
> At the same token, it wouldn't have anything to do with your WBEM test
> failures.
>
> I think it's a firewall rule blocking something or the machine that WBEM is
> tryhing to get to has no DNS forward look up entry.
>
> What machine is the WBEM test trying to communicate with? Can you ping the
> machine by it's NetBIOS name and by it's FQDN?
>
> Ace
>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2007
Ace Fekay [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win32 The RPC server is unavailable

In news:55ECC497-2648-41BD-B24A-9870ADF5124D@microsoft.com,
kalamiti <kalamiti@discussions.microsoft.com> stated, which I commented on
below:
> Thanks again for the assistance.
> I don't believe it is a firewall rule because the subnet I am using
> belong to a group of engineers including my self and we have a
> firewall rule that opens our subnet to all of our server on any port.
> I can ping by netbios name and by FQDN.
> I have also used telnet to check the port the software is using on a
> couple of the machines giving me problems. The port being used are
> 135-139 and 445. Even if the app needs a different port it should
> already be open.
> Thank Again


The specific ports I am curious about are: UDP > 1023. Are ALL of those
ports opened and allowed?

Also another problem that would cause this is if the ISP connection has a
less than 1500 MTU (such as ADSL which uses 1492). This WILL cause it.

Also one more thing, if the "other" subnet is a NATted subnet on a router
with multiple internal NAT interfaces, and one subnet is one one of them and
the other subnet is on the other one, then it won't work if the router is
set to allow or suport H.323 traffic.

Ace


Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Win32 The RPC server is unavailable"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The RPC server is unavailable Layne Windows Server Help 8 24-06-2010 08:29 AM
RPC Server is unavailable Paul Vista Help 4 28-01-2008 06:27 AM
RPC Server Unavailable (Small Business Server 2003 SP2) Leythos Small Business Server 3 08-01-2008 03:14 PM
RPC server is unavailable Bikkelbink Windows Server Help 2 20-12-2007 09:03 PM
RPC Server Unavailable V for Vinsanity Active Directory 1 21-09-2007 10:20 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:48 PM.