Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Increase the PATH environment variable limit to 2048 char on 2003

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 29-01-2007
Morten Ross
 
Posts: n/a
Increase the PATH environment variable limit to 2048 char on 2003

Hi,

How do I accomplish the abovementioned on Windows Server 2003?
More and more software introduce longer and longer path variables, and with
x64 this is really aprobelm as "Program Files (x86)" and "Program Files" are
both used by for instance MSSQL Server 2005, and thus the demand for more
PATH space is growing fast. Even shortening all long names manually is not
enough!

Regards
Morten Ross

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29-01-2007
Dave Patrick
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Increase the PATH environment variable limit to 2048 char on 2003

You can sub %programfiles% for 'C:\Program Files' and look at using the 8.3
short names for paths. It should already be 2048.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906469

--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Morten Ross" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I accomplish the abovementioned on Windows Server 2003?
> More and more software introduce longer and longer path variables, and
> with
> x64 this is really aprobelm as "Program Files (x86)" and "Program Files"
> are
> both used by for instance MSSQL Server 2005, and thus the demand for more
> PATH space is growing fast. Even shortening all long names manually is not
> enough!
>
> Regards
> Morten Ross


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29-01-2007
Morten Ross
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Increase the PATH environment variable limit to 2048 char on 2

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I couldn't find this hotfix - it was not
referenced in KB180410, nor did my searches make any hits - so many thanks
for this elusive hotfix, as it does indeed fix the limit issue so that 2048
characters are made available and not just 1024 when not applied.

Regards
Morten Ross

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You can sub %programfiles% for 'C:\Program Files' and look at using the 8.3
> short names for paths. It should already be 2048.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906469
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Morten Ross" wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I accomplish the abovementioned on Windows Server 2003?
> > More and more software introduce longer and longer path variables, and
> > with
> > x64 this is really aprobelm as "Program Files (x86)" and "Program Files"
> > are
> > both used by for instance MSSQL Server 2005, and thus the demand for more
> > PATH space is growing fast. Even shortening all long names manually is not
> > enough!
> >
> > Regards
> > Morten Ross

>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29-01-2007
Dave Patrick
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Increase the PATH environment variable limit to 2048 char on 2

You're welcome. Yes I had quite a time finding (by stumbling on it)

--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Morten Ross" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply. I couldn't find this hotfix - it was not
> referenced in KB180410, nor did my searches make any hits - so many thanks
> for this elusive hotfix, as it does indeed fix the limit issue so that
> 2048
> characters are made available and not just 1024 when not applied.
>
> Regards
> Morten Ross
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
>> You can sub %programfiles% for 'C:\Program Files' and look at using the
>> 8.3
>> short names for paths. It should already be 2048.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906469
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Morten Ross" wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > How do I accomplish the abovementioned on Windows Server 2003?
>> > More and more software introduce longer and longer path variables, and
>> > with
>> > x64 this is really aprobelm as "Program Files (x86)" and "Program
>> > Files"
>> > are
>> > both used by for instance MSSQL Server 2005, and thus the demand for
>> > more
>> > PATH space is growing fast. Even shortening all long names manually is
>> > not
>> > enough!
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Morten Ross

>>


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20-05-2008
Mike Procak
 
Posts: n/a
KB906469

Dave, do you have the W2K3 version of KB906469?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-05-2008
Meinolf Weber
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB906469

Hello Mike,

Follow the links to MS support or phone MS support. Hotfixes are for FREE,
just call them and they will send a link to download it.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

> Dave, do you have the W2K3 version of KB906469?
>



Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , , , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Increase the PATH environment variable limit to 2048 char on 2003"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
environment variable lda1971 Windows Software 1 23-07-2011 01:29 AM
what does temp environment variable mean ampleandcuddly MS Office Support 1 05-10-2010 02:08 AM
Consider adjusting the pkg_config_path environment variable UbuntU-ME Operating Systems 3 30-07-2009 09:37 PM
How to set Environment Variable Path in Linux GunFighter Software Development 3 07-07-2009 02:56 PM
Check the temp environment variable nehal_serpa MS Office Support 1 19-07-2008 01:10 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:28 PM.