Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Domain Not Available

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 20-01-2007
Keith
 
Posts: n/a
Domain Not Available

Hello all,

Recently I went to make changes to our backup selections but was unable to
do so on remote selections from Veritas. I then went into Windows explorer
from a domain controller and wet to My Network Places, Entire Network,
Microsoft Windows Network, Domain. Then I receive an error message stating
the following.
"Domain is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

I am logged in as the domain administrator so I dont think permissions is
the issue.

Next I run netdiag from the windows support tools on the domain controller
and recieve the message for the DC list test as failed. "Failed to enumerate
DCs by using the browser. [Error_NO_BROWSER_SERVERS_FOUND]

Next I run dcdiag and the only failure I receive is on the system log.

Next I run browstat status and receive "Status for domain DOMAIN on
transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C9680631-BE28-$^A4-ABE9-B72A63C1727F}
Browsing is NOT active on domain. Status : 6118
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

I also went into the registry and changed the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
IsDomainMaster = Yes

I rebooted the server and still the error persists.

Can anyone provide me some further direction? I REALLY appreciate it.

Keith



Yes the computer browser service is running and DNS appears to be without
error. I'm very puzzled by this issue.

I can browse the web, ping by hostname, enter \\servername to see file
shares, and even enter nslookup and get the correct information. This just
started happening out of nowhere.

Keith



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-01-2007
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Domain Not Available

In news:7FE6A43E-4C10-46F4-AF8C-13ECBD821789@microsoft.com,
Keith <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hello all,
>
> Recently I went to make changes to our backup selections but was
> unable to do so on remote selections from Veritas. I then went into
> Windows explorer from a domain controller and wet to My Network
> Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, Domain. Then I
> receive an error message stating the following.
> "Domain is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
> out if you have access permissions.
> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
>
> I am logged in as the domain administrator so I dont think
> permissions is the issue.
>
> Next I run netdiag from the windows support tools on the domain
> controller and recieve the message for the DC list test as failed.
> "Failed to enumerate DCs by using the browser.
> [Error_NO_BROWSER_SERVERS_FOUND]
>
> Next I run dcdiag and the only failure I receive is on the system log.
>
> Next I run browstat status and receive "Status for domain DOMAIN on
> transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C9680631-BE28-$^A4-ABE9-B72A63C1727F}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain. Status : 6118
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>
> I also went into the registry and changed the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
> IsDomainMaster = Yes
>
> I rebooted the server and still the error persists.
>
> Can anyone provide me some further direction? I REALLY appreciate it.
>
> Keith
>
>
>
> Yes the computer browser service is running and DNS appears to be
> without error. I'm very puzzled by this issue.
>
> I can browse the web, ping by hostname, enter \\servername to see file
> shares, and even enter nslookup and get the correct information.
> This just started happening out of nowhere.
>
> Keith


Hi - got WINS? If you need to browse, you should have WINS running properly,
and of course make sure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all your machines
& that they're registered properly in WINS.


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-01-2007
Keith
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Domain Not Available

I found the solution. On my dc there was a message in the event log saying
that a workstation won the master browser election. I remoted onto the
workstation saw that it was running windows 2000 professional. I went into
services, stopped the computer browser service, and then disabled it. Strange
issue I must say. It took me hours to figure this one out.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:7FE6A43E-4C10-46F4-AF8C-13ECBD821789@microsoft.com,
> Keith <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Recently I went to make changes to our backup selections but was
> > unable to do so on remote selections from Veritas. I then went into
> > Windows explorer from a domain controller and wet to My Network
> > Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, Domain. Then I
> > receive an error message stating the following.
> > "Domain is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
> > out if you have access permissions.
> > The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
> >
> > I am logged in as the domain administrator so I dont think
> > permissions is the issue.
> >
> > Next I run netdiag from the windows support tools on the domain
> > controller and recieve the message for the DC list test as failed.
> > "Failed to enumerate DCs by using the browser.
> > [Error_NO_BROWSER_SERVERS_FOUND]
> >
> > Next I run dcdiag and the only failure I receive is on the system log.
> >
> > Next I run browstat status and receive "Status for domain DOMAIN on
> > transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C9680631-BE28-$^A4-ABE9-B72A63C1727F}
> > Browsing is NOT active on domain. Status : 6118
> > Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
> >
> > I also went into the registry and changed the key
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
> > IsDomainMaster = Yes
> >
> > I rebooted the server and still the error persists.
> >
> > Can anyone provide me some further direction? I REALLY appreciate it.
> >
> > Keith
> >
> >
> >
> > Yes the computer browser service is running and DNS appears to be
> > without error. I'm very puzzled by this issue.
> >
> > I can browse the web, ping by hostname, enter \\servername to see file
> > shares, and even enter nslookup and get the correct information.
> > This just started happening out of nowhere.
> >
> > Keith

>
> Hi - got WINS? If you need to browse, you should have WINS running properly,
> and of course make sure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all your machines
> & that they're registered properly in WINS.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-01-2007
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Domain Not Available

In news:ACC529FC-14D4-4E3D-B0F0-67FF25E63C21@microsoft.com,
Keith <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I found the solution. On my dc there was a message in the event log
> saying that a workstation won the master browser election. I remoted
> onto the workstation saw that it was running windows 2000
> professional. I went into services, stopped the computer browser
> service, and then disabled it. Strange issue I must say. It took me
> hours to figure this one out.


I like to disable the computer browser service on all domain computers via
GPO - makes life easier. Although if you have WINS running you shouldn't
necessarily have the problem anyway.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> In news:7FE6A43E-4C10-46F4-AF8C-13ECBD821789@microsoft.com,
>> Keith <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Recently I went to make changes to our backup selections but was
>>> unable to do so on remote selections from Veritas. I then went into
>>> Windows explorer from a domain controller and wet to My Network
>>> Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, Domain. Then I
>>> receive an error message stating the following.
>>> "Domain is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>>> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
>>> out if you have access permissions.
>>> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
>>>
>>> I am logged in as the domain administrator so I dont think
>>> permissions is the issue.
>>>
>>> Next I run netdiag from the windows support tools on the domain
>>> controller and recieve the message for the DC list test as failed.
>>> "Failed to enumerate DCs by using the browser.
>>> [Error_NO_BROWSER_SERVERS_FOUND]
>>>
>>> Next I run dcdiag and the only failure I receive is on the system
>>> log.
>>>
>>> Next I run browstat status and receive "Status for domain DOMAIN on
>>> transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C9680631-BE28-$^A4-ABE9-B72A63C1727F}
>>> Browsing is NOT active on domain. Status : 6118
>>> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>>>
>>> I also went into the registry and changed the key
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
>>> IsDomainMaster = Yes
>>>
>>> I rebooted the server and still the error persists.
>>>
>>> Can anyone provide me some further direction? I REALLY appreciate
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Yes the computer browser service is running and DNS appears to be
>>> without error. I'm very puzzled by this issue.
>>>
>>> I can browse the web, ping by hostname, enter \\servername to see
>>> file shares, and even enter nslookup and get the correct
>>> information.
>>> This just started happening out of nowhere.
>>>
>>> Keith

>>
>> Hi - got WINS? If you need to browse, you should have WINS running
>> properly, and of course make sure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on
>> all your machines & that they're registered properly in WINS.




Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Domain Not Available"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An active directory Domain Controller for the domain could not becontacted in windows vista Business CheyeNnne Active Directory 7 28-12-2010 10:05 PM
I have got two domain, I can't ping FQDN, Domain name but not the hostname of the other domain kaikoa Networking & Security 1 16-09-2009 10:11 AM
Migrate users from Existing Windows 2003 Domain to new 2008 Domain Lupin Active Directory 3 09-07-2009 05:57 PM
backup domain controller in a small business server 2003 domain Ashish Goenkar Small Business Server 4 31-01-2009 12:16 AM
Child domain user does not show parent domain group membership Pratim Active Directory 1 19-06-2008 01:58 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:11 PM.