Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMC could not create the snap-in

MMC could not create the snap-in

I am having Windows Server 2003 Standard, SR2 running . Currently i am trying to install Symantec Corporate Antivirus but Ive to install its license. I have tried viewing options for Server- antivirus but then i am getting an error message saying "MMC could not create the snap-in" I don't know what that means and i want to know if i have to do anything different for installing this Antivirus?? any help regrading this will be appreciated.

Hakan GOKCOL Guest
    Corporate edition 10.1

I can't update, because in order to update I have to register. I can't get past the MMC snap in error which shows in the window instead of my server and its option to register license file

Michael Smith Guest

Hi,

Upgraded from wsus 2 to 3 without errors.
    However can not start the wsus 3 administration console.

I get the following message:
    MMC could not create the snap-in.

MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed
    correctly.
    Name : Update Services
    CLSID : FX:{8b6499ed-0241-e032-6508-da4b1c879d7e}

I found some workarounds, but none of them worked.

- I already deinstalled and re installed the product.
    - I also deleted the c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe.config file, which I needed
    for citrix ps 4.0 in the past.
    - I put the administrator in the wsus groups.
    All without success.

What's next? Any error log with more detailed information?

I hope any one has an idea .

regards,
    Michael

p.s. running windows server 2003 servicepack 2 (newest mmc 3.0 console
    included and report viewer 2005 also installed)

gregski Guest
    I have the same problem.
    Upgraded from v2 to v3 on a Win2k3 SP2 Std server.
    The WSUS entry in the Admin Tools menu launches the web admin page.
    I ran MMC but could not find a stand alone entry for WSUS.
    MMC v3 is included in 2k3 SP2 and I have report viewer installed.

Has anyone found a fix to this problem? The same thing is happening
    to me, and I cannot find a solution.

There is no working workaround for so far I know, besides re-installing
    windows server 2003sp2

I have the exact same problem. So I reinstalled Service Pack 2 and rebooted but this did NOT help. Microsoft has got to come up with a fix for this.

me Guest

Hi All...

I've been trying to get a custom MMC to work on Windows Vista Business Edition. The MMC contains a snap-in for IIS 6.0 Manager for administration of some of my web servers. All other snap-ins work except for this one. The error that I get is "MMC could not create the snap-in". Any ideas as to why this does not work (and a possible solution) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Marc Hoffman

Run MSCONFIG | click Tools Tab | click Disable UAC | click Launch button | Reboot. You can now add your snap-in and it should work. You can also follow the steps above and choose to Enable UAC after you have the snap-in installed.

me Guest

Re: MMC could not create the snap-in

HI...

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, this did not work. One point that I may not have made clear was that the IIS snap-in was already added to my custom MMC file. When I click the IIS portion in the Console Root, I get the error of "...could not create the snap-in..." After trying your suggestion, I'm still not able to use the IIS 6 Manager snap-in. Could the fact that the Snap-in is already present in my Custom MMC file be the problem?

Thanks!

Sandeep Guest

This shouldn't be the problem. This error might occur when there is some problem initializing snap in. Are you getting any detailed error message? Posting this to microsoft.public.management.mmc newsgroup might help.
    Sandeep

me Guest

I am not getting any detailed information other than the error that I posted. I will try posting to the newsgroup that you suggest.

Katie Fehring Guest

After installing DNS and promoting a member server to a dc, when I try to open the DNS console, I receive MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.
    Name: DNS CLSID: {2FAEBFA2-3F1A-11D0-8C65-00C04FD8FECB} I can connect to the DNS server from another server's console and can see the domain records have replicated. I've tried reinstalling dns, tried
    registering the dnsmgmt.dll - I receive and error that dnsmgr.dll is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type. If I open a blank mmc console and try to add the DNS snap-in, it does not exist. The only reference I've found to this was someone who uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and it worked. That has not worked here.

Any ideas?

I am running Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Standard x64

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] Guest

I've seen this before, installing the latest version of the adminpak.msi has always fixed it for me. If your installation disk is SP2, then install the adminpak.msi from the CD. The adminpak.msi installs the full series of Administration tools, instead of just having the Administration tools from just what you have installed. This pak of Tools is intended for installation on XP and Win2k3 for remote Administration of the server.
    I don't think there is, but you can see if there is a newer version on the Microsoft download site.

wjclerk Guest

Problem:
    When attempting to access several admin tasks via the MMC console, the above error occurs. The snap-ins (non-third party, standard come-with-vista, not part of the 2003 admin pack) are:
    • Event Viewer
    • Task Manager

MMC snap-ins that do work:
    • Computer management
    • Local security policy
    • Print Management

What I have attempted to solve the problem:
    Remove and re-add the snap-ins for Event View and Task Manager in MMC.
    Result: "MMC cannot initialize the snap-in. Name: Task Schedule.
    • CLSID:FX:{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4]
    • Same results with a different CLSID for Event Viewer

I have confirmed that the registry keys do exist and the System and Administrator have full control on them. They appear fully populated. Ensure I have the minimal version of the .Net framework for MMC 3.0.
    Result: In my Microsoft.NET\Framework directory, I have
    • v1.0.3705
    • v1.1.4322
    • v2.0.50727
    • v3.0
    • The v.2.0.50727 is supposed to be what MMC 3.0 needs to run.

Verify services are running:
    Event viewer service is running as is task scheduler. I am unable to stop task scheduler's service and event viewer has a dependency on it.
    Appropriate administrator permissions
    I am the sole administrator on the machine and have disabled UAC until problem is resolved so all of my prompts are elevated.
    • Run the system file repair tool at the command prompt.
    • No notice of errors, no apparent fix after completion.

Attempt to run repair from Vista installation DVD:
    Vista is installed on a RAID striped controller. I was able to install to it, but Vista installer does not see it in installed versions of vista. Repair is not an option. Have tried to run various raid drivers (and I can see my c: drive from the PE command prompt, but nothing has detected my Vista installation.

Run the registration command script for the Server 2003 Admin pack:
    • Created the .cmd files suggested from the MS KB article. No effect.

I've taken just about every suggestion I can take from the net on how to fix this problem and have come up short every time. I am about ready to create a support incident with MS, but hate to spend $59 when the problem is with the core OS admin functions and I haven't messed with any third party software or snap-ins that would have messed with this. I am also reluctant to reinstall Vista after spending so much time getting my system stable and running
    optimally with the exception of this problem. Without being able to view the event log, I do not know if I have impending problems with my system. I consider the problem pretty serious. Is there anyone from Microsoft who can
    help?

In order to fix the error that appears while taking IIS mmc you need to register a DLL (inetmgr.dll). You can make use of the following URL to have a better idea.

Rozsomak Guest
    I have the very same problem here. MMC and Task Scheduler. I run a vista Ultimate SP1 x64. I have the exact same problem and under SP1 32bit. Either appeared after PC Wizard 2008 or Firefox3, which stopped working for no apparent reason. PC WIzard had its own version or subset of the Evenrt Viewer and it was reporting some rather oddly dated events (more than 18 months old, longer than I owned machine) and I have installed Vista Business clean twice. I also do not wish to reinstall to return this functionality, but I am stumped. I have tried all the things you describe, but no luck. (Even more, I dare say) I spend more of my life getting applications or OS's working and stable, than actually uisng the system.

I have absolutely the same problem and i am really not amused to buy a product where core functions are not working correctly. Especially, as it happened after an automatic update from Microsoft: .Net 3.5 Until now, i did not find a way to have the eventviewer working. I must indicate that i am not a dummy user but since 20 years an IT pro!!!! Unecessary to say, that i wont spend money for a microsoft support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast