Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-07-2006
tony@i-cable
 
Posts: n/a
How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?

I use ntdsutil seize all FSMO from the temp DC (upgrade from NT PDC) to my 2
new DC (DC1 & DC2). I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO schema/name/rid/pdc", it
shows all pointed to DC2. I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO infr", it shows
pointed to DC1. I expect the Global Catalog also seize to DC2.

However, when I open Active Directory Sites and Services ->
Default-First-site-name->Sites->NTDS Settings->Properties, the DC2's Global
Catalog checkbox still empty. The Global Catalog still sit in my temp DC.
It seems to be I did not successfully seize the Global Catalog from temp DC
to DC2. Is there any step(s) I missed? How can I seize/transfer Global
Catalog from temp DC to DC2? Thanks.



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-07-2006
Vincent Xu [MSFT]
 
Posts: n/a
RE: How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?

Hi,

You have to manualy mark the checkbox in DC2 to select it as GC and clear
the check box in temp DC to remove it from GC list.

Thanks.


Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

======================================================
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
======================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
======================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.
======================================================



--------------------
>>From: "tony@i-cable" <tony@cheerful.com>
>>Subject: How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?
>>Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:24:14 +0800
>>Lines: 13
>>X-Priority: 3
>>X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
>>X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
>>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
>>Message-ID: <#Y85IfknGHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
>>NNTP-Posting-Host: 59.188.32.186
>>Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl
>>Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl

microsoft.public.windows.server.migration:24287
>>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
>>
>>I use ntdsutil seize all FSMO from the temp DC (upgrade from NT PDC) to

my 2
>>new DC (DC1 & DC2). I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO schema/name/rid/pdc",

it
>>shows all pointed to DC2. I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO infr", it shows
>>pointed to DC1. I expect the Global Catalog also seize to DC2.
>>
>>However, when I open Active Directory Sites and Services ->
>>Default-First-site-name->Sites->NTDS Settings->Properties, the DC2's

Global
>>Catalog checkbox still empty. The Global Catalog still sit in my temp DC.
>>It seems to be I did not successfully seize the Global Catalog from temp

DC
>>to DC2. Is there any step(s) I missed? How can I seize/transfer Global
>>Catalog from temp DC to DC2? Thanks.
>>
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-07-2006
kj
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?

dsmod server (ServerDN) -isgc yes

and

dsmod server (ServerDN) -isgc no

--
/kj
"tony@i-cable" <tony@cheerful.com> wrote in message
news:%23Y85IfknGHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I use ntdsutil seize all FSMO from the temp DC (upgrade from NT PDC) to my
>2
> new DC (DC1 & DC2). I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO schema/name/rid/pdc",
> it
> shows all pointed to DC2. I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO infr", it shows
> pointed to DC1. I expect the Global Catalog also seize to DC2.
>
> However, when I open Active Directory Sites and Services ->
> Default-First-site-name->Sites->NTDS Settings->Properties, the DC2's
> Global
> Catalog checkbox still empty. The Global Catalog still sit in my temp DC.
> It seems to be I did not successfully seize the Global Catalog from temp
> DC
> to DC2. Is there any step(s) I missed? How can I seize/transfer Global
> Catalog from temp DC to DC2? Thanks.
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-07-2006
tony@i-cable
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?

I see. Is there any event log show me (or command can check) the GC fully
sezie to DC2?

Thanks Vincent.


"Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:UoeGxQmnGHA.5892@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> You have to manualy mark the checkbox in DC2 to select it as GC and clear
> the check box in temp DC to remove it from GC list.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vincent Xu
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>
> ======================================================
> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> ======================================================
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> that others
> may learn and benefit from this issue.
> ======================================================
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.
> ======================================================
>
>
>
> --------------------
> >>From: "tony@i-cable" <tony@cheerful.com>
> >>Subject: How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?
> >>Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:24:14 +0800
> >>Lines: 13
> >>X-Priority: 3
> >>X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
> >>X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
> >>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
> >>Message-ID: <#Y85IfknGHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>
> >>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
> >>NNTP-Posting-Host: 59.188.32.186
> >>Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl
> >>Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl

> microsoft.public.windows.server.migration:24287
> >>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
> >>
> >>I use ntdsutil seize all FSMO from the temp DC (upgrade from NT PDC) to

> my 2
> >>new DC (DC1 & DC2). I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO

schema/name/rid/pdc",
> it
> >>shows all pointed to DC2. I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO infr", it

shows
> >>pointed to DC1. I expect the Global Catalog also seize to DC2.
> >>
> >>However, when I open Active Directory Sites and Services ->
> >>Default-First-site-name->Sites->NTDS Settings->Properties, the DC2's

> Global
> >>Catalog checkbox still empty. The Global Catalog still sit in my temp

DC.
> >>It seems to be I did not successfully seize the Global Catalog from temp

> DC
> >>to DC2. Is there any step(s) I missed? How can I seize/transfer Global
> >>Catalog from temp DC to DC2? Thanks.
> >>
> >>
> >>

>



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-07-2006
tony@i-cable
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?

Thanks KJ.


"kj" <kj@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:elNzkZmnGHA.4728@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> dsmod server (ServerDN) -isgc yes
>
> and
>
> dsmod server (ServerDN) -isgc no
>
> --
> /kj
> "tony@i-cable" <tony@cheerful.com> wrote in message
> news:%23Y85IfknGHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> >I use ntdsutil seize all FSMO from the temp DC (upgrade from NT PDC) to

my
> >2
> > new DC (DC1 & DC2). I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO

schema/name/rid/pdc",
> > it
> > shows all pointed to DC2. I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO infr", it

shows
> > pointed to DC1. I expect the Global Catalog also seize to DC2.
> >
> > However, when I open Active Directory Sites and Services ->
> > Default-First-site-name->Sites->NTDS Settings->Properties, the DC2's
> > Global
> > Catalog checkbox still empty. The Global Catalog still sit in my temp

DC.
> > It seems to be I did not successfully seize the Global Catalog from temp
> > DC
> > to DC2. Is there any step(s) I missed? How can I seize/transfer Global
> > Catalog from temp DC to DC2? Thanks.
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-07-2006
Vincent Xu [MSFT]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?

Hi,

Seems you have gotten the right answer. :)

Have a good day!


Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

======================================================
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
======================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
======================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.
======================================================



--------------------
>>From: "tony@i-cable" <tony@cheerful.com>
>>References: <#Y85IfknGHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>

<elNzkZmnGHA.4728@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>
>>Subject: Re: How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?
>>Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 14:33:18 +0800
>>Lines: 40
>>X-Priority: 3
>>X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
>>X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
>>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
>>Message-ID: <etW1TqmnGHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
>>NNTP-Posting-Host: 59.188.32.186
>>Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl
>>Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl

microsoft.public.windows.server.migration:24296
>>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
>>
>>Thanks KJ.
>>
>>
>>"kj" <kj@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>news:elNzkZmnGHA.4728@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> dsmod server (ServerDN) -isgc yes
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> dsmod server (ServerDN) -isgc no
>>>
>>> --
>>> /kj
>>> "tony@i-cable" <tony@cheerful.com> wrote in message
>>> news:%23Y85IfknGHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> >I use ntdsutil seize all FSMO from the temp DC (upgrade from NT PDC) to

>>my
>>> >2
>>> > new DC (DC1 & DC2). I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO

>>schema/name/rid/pdc",
>>> > it
>>> > shows all pointed to DC2. I use "dsquery server -hasFSMO infr", it

>>shows
>>> > pointed to DC1. I expect the Global Catalog also seize to DC2.
>>> >
>>> > However, when I open Active Directory Sites and Services ->
>>> > Default-First-site-name->Sites->NTDS Settings->Properties, the DC2's
>>> > Global
>>> > Catalog checkbox still empty. The Global Catalog still sit in my temp

>>DC.
>>> > It seems to be I did not successfully seize the Global Catalog from

temp
>>> > DC
>>> > to DC2. Is there any step(s) I missed? How can I seize/transfer

Global
>>> > Catalog from temp DC to DC2? Thanks.
>>> >
>>> >
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "How can I Seize/Transfer Global Catalog to another DC?"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Global Catalog Server could not be located - All GC's are down manishdk Active Directory 3 23-09-2009 11:13 AM
Global Catalog Server purvagarg Active Directory 3 18-12-2008 05:12 PM
Global Catalog not Found Ranchero Active Directory 7 28-05-2008 06:06 PM
Problem with Global Catalog ridergroov Active Directory 2 04-02-2008 07:18 PM
Global Catalog Access Denied aileen Active Directory 2 03-03-2007 01:46 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:42 PM.