Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



DFS in windows 2003 help access denied!

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 21-05-2006
long345@fpt.vn
 
Posts: n/a
DFS in windows 2003 help access denied!

I've got one server namely test03 (GC, DC, DNS). I created a Dfs
domain-root namely \\test.com.vn\data then add a link on test03
(C:\datatest).
from workstation I can access to \\test.com.vn\data but can not create
anything on it. It's report "access denied" when creating a new folder.


I've already check the permission (giving full permission for everyone)
but still can not solved this.
I am messing with these stuff about 2 week. Appriciate much if any one
can give me an advice. Many thanks!


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-05-2006
Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: DFS in windows 2003 help access denied!

To setup domain DFS you need to:
* Create domain DFS root (e.g. \\yourdomain.com\dfsroot) on a DFS root
server (server1.yourdomain.com)
* If needed, you can assign an addition dfs root server for that domain DFS
(server2.yourdomain.com) (for redundancy purposes)
* On both dfs root servers a local directory is needed which needs to be
shared for the dfs namespace (e.g. C:\DFSnamespace\DFSroot which is shared
as DFSroot)
(there is no need to setup replication between both servers for the DFS root
as no information should be stored right under the root folder)
* Create a DFS link (e.g. called DFSlink1) under the DFS root and assign a
folder (e.g. C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 shared as DFSlink1) on a server that will
host the data (e.g. server1.yourdomain.com, in this case it is also on the
root server, but it can be on any other server)
* For redundancy purposes you can add an additional DFS link target. In that
case you add another server (e.g. server2.yourdomain.com, in this case it is
also on the root server, but it can be on any other server) On that same
servers a local folder is needed that should also be shared (e.g.
C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 shared as DFSlink1)

One of the servers should assigned as the primary when setting up
replication for the DFS link DFSlink1. The NTFS permissions should be
configured on C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 and on both servers you may need to
configure the share permissions of the DFS link.

On both DFS root servers on the local file system you will see something
like:
C:\DFSnamespace\DFSroot
C:\DFSnamespace\DFSroot\DFSlink1

This is just the namespace hosted on the DFS root servers. No data is in
there and there is no need to change permissions of those folders.

Although for w2k, it gives you an idea of what I said:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../dfsguide.mspx

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
<long345@fpt.vn> wrote in message
news:1148161429.448787.5120@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I've got one server namely test03 (GC, DC, DNS). I created a Dfs
> domain-root namely \\test.com.vn\data then add a link on test03
> (C:\datatest).
> from workstation I can access to \\test.com.vn\data but can not create
> anything on it. It's report "access denied" when creating a new folder.
>
>
> I've already check the permission (giving full permission for everyone)
> but still can not solved this.
> I am messing with these stuff about 2 week. Appriciate much if any one
> can give me an advice. Many thanks!
>



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22-05-2006
long345
 
Posts: n/a
Re: DFS in windows 2003 help access denied!

Hi Jorge,

Many thanks for your quick advise but after follow exactly your
instruction a few time, I'm still facing with the problem "Access
denied" when creating a New Folder or File... at the
\\dfsnamespace\dfslink. (I'm already set the share permission security
of dsflink shared folder C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 to FULL ACCESS for
everyone)

Regards,
Long

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP] wrote:
> To setup domain DFS you need to:
> * Create domain DFS root (e.g. \\yourdomain.com\dfsroot) on a DFS root
> server (server1.yourdomain.com)
> * If needed, you can assign an addition dfs root server for that domain DFS
> (server2.yourdomain.com) (for redundancy purposes)
> * On both dfs root servers a local directory is needed which needs to be
> shared for the dfs namespace (e.g. C:\DFSnamespace\DFSroot which is shared
> as DFSroot)
> (there is no need to setup replication between both servers for the DFS root
> as no information should be stored right under the root folder)
> * Create a DFS link (e.g. called DFSlink1) under the DFS root and assign a
> folder (e.g. C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 shared as DFSlink1) on a server that will
> host the data (e.g. server1.yourdomain.com, in this case it is also on the
> root server, but it can be on any other server)
> * For redundancy purposes you can add an additional DFS link target. In that
> case you add another server (e.g. server2.yourdomain.com, in this case it is
> also on the root server, but it can be on any other server) On that same
> servers a local folder is needed that should also be shared (e.g.
> C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 shared as DFSlink1)
>
> One of the servers should assigned as the primary when setting up
> replication for the DFS link DFSlink1. The NTFS permissions should be
> configured on C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 and on both servers you may need to
> configure the share permissions of the DFS link.
>
> On both DFS root servers on the local file system you will see something
> like:
> C:\DFSnamespace\DFSroot
> C:\DFSnamespace\DFSroot\DFSlink1
>
> This is just the namespace hosted on the DFS root servers. No data is in
> there and there is no need to change permissions of those folders.
>
> Although for w2k, it gives you an idea of what I said:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../dfsguide.mspx
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> (HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)
>
> # Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
> * Always test before implementing!
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> <long345@fpt.vn> wrote in message
> news:1148161429.448787.5120@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > I've got one server namely test03 (GC, DC, DNS). I created a Dfs
> > domain-root namely \\test.com.vn\data then add a link on test03
> > (C:\datatest).
> > from workstation I can access to \\test.com.vn\data but can not create
> > anything on it. It's report "access denied" when creating a new folder.
> >
> >
> > I've already check the permission (giving full permission for everyone)
> > but still can not solved this.
> > I am messing with these stuff about 2 week. Appriciate much if any one
> > can give me an advice. Many thanks!
> >


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22-05-2006
Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: DFS in windows 2003 help access denied!

the dfs path of the root is \\domain-dfs\dfsroot
the dfs path of the link is \\domain-dfs\dfsroot\dfslink

the latter is created in the DFS MMC by creating a new DFS link and
assigning link targets/folders

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"long345" <long345@fpt.vn> wrote in message
news:1148236747.925744.311230@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Jorge,
>
> Many thanks for your quick advise but after follow exactly your
> instruction a few time, I'm still facing with the problem "Access
> denied" when creating a New Folder or File... at the
> \\dfsnamespace\dfslink. (I'm already set the share permission security
> of dsflink shared folder C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 to FULL ACCESS for
> everyone)
>
> Regards,
> Long
>
> Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP] wrote:
>> To setup domain DFS you need to:
>> * Create domain DFS root (e.g. \\yourdomain.com\dfsroot) on a DFS root
>> server (server1.yourdomain.com)
>> * If needed, you can assign an addition dfs root server for that domain
>> DFS
>> (server2.yourdomain.com) (for redundancy purposes)
>> * On both dfs root servers a local directory is needed which needs to be
>> shared for the dfs namespace (e.g. C:\DFSnamespace\DFSroot which is
>> shared
>> as DFSroot)
>> (there is no need to setup replication between both servers for the DFS
>> root
>> as no information should be stored right under the root folder)
>> * Create a DFS link (e.g. called DFSlink1) under the DFS root and assign
>> a
>> folder (e.g. C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 shared as DFSlink1) on a server that
>> will
>> host the data (e.g. server1.yourdomain.com, in this case it is also on
>> the
>> root server, but it can be on any other server)
>> * For redundancy purposes you can add an additional DFS link target. In
>> that
>> case you add another server (e.g. server2.yourdomain.com, in this case it
>> is
>> also on the root server, but it can be on any other server) On that same
>> servers a local folder is needed that should also be shared (e.g.
>> C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 shared as DFSlink1)
>>
>> One of the servers should assigned as the primary when setting up
>> replication for the DFS link DFSlink1. The NTFS permissions should be
>> configured on C:\DFSdata\DFSlink1 and on both servers you may need to
>> configure the share permissions of the DFS link.
>>
>> On both DFS root servers on the local file system you will see something
>> like:
>> C:\DFSnamespace\DFSroot
>> C:\DFSnamespace\DFSroot\DFSlink1
>>
>> This is just the namespace hosted on the DFS root servers. No data is in
>> there and there is no need to change permissions of those folders.
>>
>> Although for w2k, it gives you an idea of what I said:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../dfsguide.mspx
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cheers,
>> (HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)
>>
>> # Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services
>>
>> BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no
>> rights!
>> * Always test before implementing!
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> <long345@fpt.vn> wrote in message
>> news:1148161429.448787.5120@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> > I've got one server namely test03 (GC, DC, DNS). I created a Dfs
>> > domain-root namely \\test.com.vn\data then add a link on test03
>> > (C:\datatest).
>> > from workstation I can access to \\test.com.vn\data but can not create
>> > anything on it. It's report "access denied" when creating a new folder.
>> >
>> >
>> > I've already check the permission (giving full permission for everyone)
>> > but still can not solved this.
>> > I am messing with these stuff about 2 week. Appriciate much if any one
>> > can give me an advice. Many thanks!
>> >

>



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-05-2006
long345
 
Posts: n/a
Re: DFS in windows 2003 help access denied!

Hi Jorge,

Wow, I did it! Many thanks for your advise, it's working now after 02
weeks! The problem comes from my sharing dfs folder. By default windows
2003 only accept Read Only for network users, even the Share &
Securities properties is Full for Everyone! I solve this problem by
enable the the Full permission for network users.

But now I facing another issue that after I install Dfs, the dfslink
have 02 targets on it, both targets are on DCs and if one fail, is it
possible to config the replication topology menthod for maintain the
dfsworkspace for workstation using?

For my case the dfs install on DC01, dsfroot on DC01\dfsroot and dfs
link targets point to DC01\C:\share01 and DC02\C:\share02 and now I use
the "Full Mesh" topology replication menthod. The system working fine
but, if one of the DC01 or DC02 go down, the dfsworkspace
(\\domain.com\dfsroot\) can not accessible from workstations! Please
correct me or please can you share your experience about this issue.

Many thanks with best regards,
Long

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22-05-2006
John Chen [MSFT]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: DFS in windows 2003 help access denied!

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding the fault tolerance, I suggest you user the Domain DFS Root.
Domain root: A DFS namespace for which the configuration information is
stored in Active Directory. The path to access the root or a link starts
with the host domain name. Using Active Directory to publish this type of
DFS root enables the users in the domain to browse, locate, and access the
required share easily and quickly. A domain root can have multiple root
targets, which offers fault tolerance and load sharing at the root level.

To add a new root target, you can right click the original DFS root and
then click "New Root Target". Select another server to host the DFS root.

On your end, you can configure both DC01 and DC02 as root targets. If so,
the DFS system can also be accessed when one of the DCs is down.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

=====================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
from your issue.
=====================================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "DFS in windows 2003 help access denied!"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Server 2003 SP2 Fails - 'Access is Denied' (PLEASE HELP) SteveR Windows Server Help 8 05-12-2011 04:01 PM
Robocopy - Access Denied issue - migration from 2003 to 2008 Brian Brocker Windows Server Help 2 12-11-2008 08:26 PM
Access Denied installing windows 2003 sp2 from windows update?? jc Windows Server Help 1 22-05-2008 04:41 AM
Getting Access Denied Error while joning Windows 2003 domain Delil Windows Vista Network 3 06-09-2007 08:22 PM
File server denied access by Domain Controller: Access is denied because of failure to authenticate Jim Windows Server Help 2 24-05-2007 09:46 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:03 PM.