Thread: How to change a operating system of raid 5 storage running on windows 7 to WHS 2011

How to change a operating system of raid 5 storage running on windows 7 to WHS 2011

I had just recently acquired an innovative system and am planning to re-purpose my previous one. Due to WHS 2011 being $40, I plan to reinstate the Windows 7 through it. I recognize there is not an upgrading path commencing from 7 to WHS 2011 so I am determine to do a clean install on the primary drive. My preceding system is a Dell 530 through the Intel Core 2 Quad processor. Specs be able to be originated on dell support you merely add-ons are an ATI 4670 Video card, a multi card reader, and 4 port USB card. In addition has 4GB RAM. It has the G33/ICH9 chipset. Even though Dell merely sustained or maintained RAID 0 and 1, there was a modded BIOS that to facilitate and enabled RAID 5. I set it up through one 500GB primary drive and three 1.5TB drives in a RAID 5. For the reason that of the recent system purchase, I am not actually capable to acquire sufficient additional storage space to back up the 3TB on the RAID nor have encompassed the DVD-Rs to start backing it up in addition very time consuming. The RAID presently utilizes the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Additional than commencing from what I read the WHS 2011 has its own RAID manager. I was speculating if I be able to just immediately install the WHS 2011, replacing the Windows 7 presently on it and the RAID might remain intact or do I back up as much as I be able to regarding 1TB of the 3TB and throw a hail that the RAID does not acquire corrupted. I have comprised previously purchased the WHS 2011 and my Windows 7 License went to the innovative system build. Need some help here, thanks in advance.

Re: How to change a operating system of raid 5 storage running on windows 7 to WHS 2011

You be supposed to be capable to install accurately as you desire, as long as your system drive is at smallest amount 160 GB in size. You might necessitate to install drivers for Windows Home Server 2011 to observe your RAID array, additional than on one occasion you have installed and configured WHS, you be supposed to be capable to generate shares that position to the data previously on the array. You be supposed to be able to install accurately as you desire, as long as your system drive is at least 160 GB in size. You might necessitate installing drivers for Windows Home Server 2011 to observe your RAID array, other than on one occasion you have installed and configured WHS, you be supposed to be capable to create shares that position to the data previously on the array.

Re: How to change a operating system of raid 5 storage running on windows 7 to WHS 2011

I had copied the non-replaceable possessions and then threw a hail. So far so superior, it worked similar to a charm. Even though, I am not actually certain what I had acquire myself into it. I at present realize that to facilitate what WHS 2011 is and what I had consideration it was are two dissimilar things. Guess I had acquired to learn regarding server management. The Windows Home Server is premeditated to shield home users commencing from traditional server management tasks; no matter what you necessitate to manage in normal operation be able to be managed commencing from the server dashboard.

I estimate that I am not an ordinary home user other than I am more normal than you might imagine. I had follow the philosophy that with the intention of to facilitate too numerous pictures and videos are superior than not sufficient. I have comprised and taken a lot of representations and videos of my family on vacations and such and I approximating to tinker approximately through them i.e. slide demonstrates and video with the intention of is why I went through a RAID 5. It is extra durable and does not take as much as a hit to performance. I had just recently occurred to acquire a great deal on 1.5TB drives at the time. I am in addition big on full back ups of my systems. Lost one too numerous drive through important information in sequence. I be familiar with that RAID 5 is not infallible, other than it positions my mind at ease that to facilitate I am less probable to lose my data. I guess that to playing through systems and observing them evolve, 3TB does not seem similar to a lot to me to any further extent.

The drives are not position to spread over a period of time spin-up, they the entire start at once. The power supply is a 650W power supply and far go beyond the power necessities of the system. The Host adapters are functioning appropriately and I tested the entire the hard drives as well. The strange part is when the drives so to failed redundancy, they are the entire tranquil online, other than I have to hit it off reactivate to make them resync.

Well, all I be able to actually tell you is that Windows RAID 5 is not as much of safe than hardware RAID 5 for a assortment of reasons, and it does not offer extremely superior performance. I might actually recommend you consider purchasing a superior quality RAID HBA if at all possible one through hardware acceleration, OCE, and ORLM, commencing from side to side you determine to spend in the hundreds for it and utilizing that as an alternative of Windows software RAID. Or you be able to research causes of software RAID problems in Windows Server 2008 R2 the pedestal OS for Windows Home Server 2011. For that, you have to start through the Windows Server setup and deployment discussion, regarding the hardware RAID. The reason I am utilizing the software RAID is for the reason that my motherboard has 6 SATA ports, additional than they merely sustain and maintain RAID 0,1, and 10. Due to the amount of hard drives, no matter what other that to facilitate a RAID-5 is preposterously inefficient. I am not giving the impression of being for blazing presentation, just presently lots of storage that might not be obliterated through a single HDD failure as occurred recently through my desktop workstation. As a matter of fact, I be expecting it to be quite sluggish; through an Atom D510 1.66 GHz Dual Core organizing WHS2011 and 6 hard drives in RAID-5, I be familiar with that to facilitate is a lot of calculations on the fly. The motivation for selecting WHS 2011 and utilizing this existing system I have is for the reason that of my financial constraints. I not be able to afford to purchase an expensive RAID card, and if I might, I hardly believe they create one that determine to fit in a PCIe x1 slot in a Mini ITX system.