Thread: "Windows Home Server" hard drives leaking 500 GB Plus space missing

"Windows Home Server" hard drives leaking 500 GB Plus space missing

Hi guys

I need help on this , I have the HP x485 and got the 2.5Tb of hard disk, which is bifurcated in 2 hard drive of 1 TB and one hard drive of 500 GB . and this is the summary of everything that I got
    • PC Backup upto 525GB
    • System about 655 GB
    • Duplication about 422 GB
    • Shared folder about 927 GB
    • Free space about 33 GB

This is the WindirStat that shows the precise size of every folder

• D drive shared 828.2
    • Folders 674 Gb
    • DE 457.8 GB

And many small folder that take about some space
    C drive 13.9 GB

That is something that I am really confused about where does about 500 GB of space has gone form the system . it must be 20 GB or less . look like some virus to me but the issue is that the WHS is thinking that it have just about 33 GB available an showing the low disc space error every time . and I am sure that it has the space left above 500 GB . well I have tried very thing that needed including the stuff like the vsadmin delete shadows /all but that even not working in any way . is there any one here that can help me on this I will be really appreciating this if this thing is solved

Thanks in advance

re: "Windows Home Server" hard drives leaking 500 GB Plus space missing

That must be really very frustrating, can you tell me is your system has crashed at anytime in the past and because of that you have to perform some kind of recovery of something or else that you by any chance have tried to copy the data manually in the storage pool locally in the server. Well I am not sure that this Is right but what I feel is you might have been orphaned data on the D drive on the server inside the folder named {1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}.. in case that is the case just take the back up of all the data somewhere else and clear the folder out . if I am not worn then there is an third party application for the server that can have data on it's own exterior of the WHS folder structure

You might also can installed the Disk Management for Windows Home Server, that is the application by the Tentacle Software and is available free on trail basis. By this you can able to see how much of the space that you might be using of the first HDD is actually in use. The fact that many of the files in shares and folders are bad . it will be small in size like 1 KB but will shows as the real size that of the original file or if you can as well use the Microsoft defrag tool , I mean not for the doing any defragmentation but by that you can see the actual empty space of each partition

Thanks for the reply so early I really appreciate that , well I have looked the folder \{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9} that you have been suggested and found that the folder is empty . so this I clear that I do not have the orphan files on my system . but still I s there any other way to detect such kind of file or any technique o fix them. I do not have any kind of third party application that can save the file outside the WHS file structure. Also I like to ask that is there any kind of dissimilarity between path d:\Shares\Music and the path \\Music... At the time I am doing the RDP on the server between moving files using that path . shouldn’t it be working in the same manner

This is what the Defragmentation report has to say (free/capactiy):

1. c: 5.27/20GB
    2. d: 90M/679GB
    3. d2 4.694/932GB
    4. d3: 3.22/932GB

looks like the hard ware is full and around just 10 tb is left , and that is the WHS prompting every time. It also shows that only 2TB of (share, duplicate, backup) and I have no idea that where exactly my remaining 500 GB of space is in system. I m a not sure but this i need to know will it be useful to transfer each share files on the external drive , like remove all the files on the share and after that copy all of then again . I have the 3 HDD and 4 Bay on the WHS. Will it be okay that I add one more hardrive and remove one of them and do the same with the other drive as well , will the WHS rebuild and fix the issue , I mean except the HDD that has the OS inside it as that drive I won’t be able to do it as it has OS and that might not work

Well I like to tell you all that I have notice the strange behavior on my WHS. It like all the disc is full up to the margin . Well the WHS stops building the Tombstones instead it was putting the data on the D drive share folder. No one bother to check if this data is counted against System. There is two ways to make the WHS to work normal. You have to turn off the duplication to the enough Shares or else to deleting files. That it just give some time to WHS and that all files will be then converted to the normal tombstones-based behavior , then add in the more disc space and change it back to the duplication. Also like to tell you that did you know two TB of storage capability is just 1818 GB of working windows data plus then formatting (File System) take some space as well . And few of the Microsoft OS has about the 100 MB system partition. Plus the page file like the RAM temp files that is actually saved on hard disk, as well know as the virtual memory and the Shadow Copies also takes up to remaining spaces .

Did what you have said clean everything that I can although just deleting the duplication from a big folder is only increasing the space of the system folder and not actually cleaning the hard drive and putting it as the free space . the fact that the problem I not about the size in the hard drive , the fact that the size of the System folder must be just 20GB but it is 1.2TB at the moment , and I must be contain the 2.5TB free space but has just 1.3TB. its just an butg that is causing this problem on the WHS that msft required to be located , and this bug appears form the time I have started deleting the duplication. I have contacted the Microsoft support but there is no answer on this issue yet . looks to me that I have just one option after having giving the so much time, I required to take backup of all my data, and then re-install the Operating System plus re-sell this WHS server. Really I hate this , WHS was a really nice machine but the completion looks to be a problem .

Well you will not be getting any kind of help for the Microsoft because of the fact that his problem is not of with Windows Home Server as such, I believe this is something else because if that will be the case the there will be a lot of people might contain the same problem issue when they turn off duplication for something. It may be connected to the Windows Home Server, in case you may contain the crumbling drivers, otherwise if you've have done some modification in the server from the server desktop, other than the console. Can you tell me lately did you have installed something on your server? The stuff like the Add-ins or Application installed by the server desktop . well I know that you've installed a few of the small utilities to know the folder sizes, although anything else apart from that . Did you replace anything at all from the server desktop otherwise software installed from there? Please tell me little about the hardware that is installed in the machine

I have the same problem. I have the four 2TB hard drives in my WHS. The report on the console is showering it has the 855 GB "System". I have 4.4TB among the Shared Folders as well as the Duplication wit h the 2.2TB each , and 123 GB for the Backups, 1.7 TB Free Space . the total size of the 8.38TB complete Size, although just 1.4TB free because of a large System partition. I will be okay with this if I know that where is this 855 GB was is utilizing from. I have looked every where regarding the System value having changed from the way it was first calculated, however nothing that shows the actually the large numbers people are reporting for System.

1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9 folder has nothing under it on the system. I s there anyone here know why this is actually happening shares is 2.1TB and this I s the actual size that is showing by the console. I have no idea where exactly is the other 2.2TB in duplicated folders is stored. No other folder the D is lager that the 1 Gb tha the share folder which is about 22.7 GB

Please help

I have this issue on the system drive increasing about the 25% of my total drive space. That Total is 3.57 TB which contain the
    1. Shared 2.7TB
    2. PC Backups 63GB
    3. System 1011 GB
    4. free space 564 GB after being down to a paltry 34GB

the problem begin when I was used the Drive Balancer . because of that all the drives goes up to about 98% or 99% in total . the Drive Balancer just carried on moving files for 5 days on that the 3 days was the longer than any of my previous balances. I had to cancel it. a system usage of just over 1TB. Then I have shut off the duplication and delete all the pc backups. And that Doing gave me 534GB back which was earlier 34GB that really awesome WHS's System still holding 1011GB, that is not so great. This Is the common issue and I am really very much disappointed that MS did not did something about this causes and possible solutions. I am hoping there must be some resolution to get the actual space . is there any one here has any advice on this I will be glad to hear