Thread: Windows Server 2008 R2 Std DHCP Problem

Windows Server 2008 R2 Std DHCP Problem

Hi

I am currently sitting with a problem. We have server 2008 R2 Std and last week the server was running fine. The users all use Wyse terminal units and remote onto the server to enter all data on software called Qbil. One of the new users accidently clicked shut down whilst trying to log off remote session. When the server came back up the DHCP and DNS services do not want to start.

I get the error windows could not start DHCP service on server error 5. I also cannot see any of the dependencies on any service it keeps giving me a access denied error.

DNS give me the error Interface not recognized when i try and start it.

I have checked permissions in the registry as per microsoft technical help and still nothing.

I have resorted to setting each user to a static IP for now as this is the only way to get them logged on to enter Lab Data to the software.

Any ideas and assistance will be appreciated.

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 Std DHCP Problem

Hi

I am currently sitting with a problem. We have server 2008 R2 Std and last week the server was running fine. The users all use Wyse terminal units and remote onto the server to enter all data on software called Qbil. One of the new users accidently clicked shut down whilst trying to log off remote session. When the server came back up the DHCP and DNS services do not want to start.

I get the error windows could not start DHCP service on server error 5. I also cannot see any of the dependencies on any service it keeps giving me a access denied error.

DNS give me the error Interface not recognized when i try and start it.

I have checked permissions in the registry as per microsoft technical help and still nothing.

I have resorted to setting each user to a static IP for now as this is the only way to get them logged on to enter Lab Data to the software.

Any ideas and assistance will be appreciated.

This error occurs when the permissions in the registry are changed or after the windows up gradation but then you situation is not appearing to be like that, anyways you can check out the below steps:
    • Go to start and then click on run and then type “regedit” without the quotes and then click on OK
    • After that just navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp and then right click on the DHCP and then click on Permissions and after that click on the add option and then type “network service” again without the quotes and click on OK.
    • Once you are done with the same then select the “NETWORKSERVICE” option and then check-mark the Full control box and after that click on ok and then close the window
    • When you are done with the above steps then repeat the same procedure for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIp.
    • Now in order to start the service go to run and then type services.msc and the just click on OK after that do right click on DHCP client and then click on the start option, now the DHCP client service should start without any problem.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have done that which you have suggested prior to me posting this thread. Unfortuantely it is still not working.. What bothers me is thefact that neither of the services in the management concole allows me to check dependencies. Keep getting a win32 access denied. Whether this pertains to the DHCP and DNS problem i am not sure but even my event veiwer wont start. I have in the meantime allocated static IP's to the users to allow them to connect to the terminal server but that is not a solution.. i am scartching my head over this one..

There was a solution given below for the error that you are getting, check it below:

Machines that have been cleaned may have the DHCP Client service won’t start issue. Conficker changes perms on a couple of Reg Keys:

a. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp

b. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip

i. Click Permissions, click Add, type network service and then click OK.

ii. Click to select the Full Control check box in the Allow column of the Permissions for NETWORK SERVICE box, and then click OK.

iii. Give Read perms to the Network Configuration Operators group
    iv. Go to the Advanced properties for both and make sure to check reset perms on all child objects so sub-keys get the perms too
    v. Try to restart the DHCP Client service