Thread: Windows Server 2003 SBS: Error Exceeded Maximum Number of Connections

Windows Server 2003 SBS: Error Exceeded Maximum Number of Connections

Hi, I'll be right then to the question: I have a server running Windows Server 2003 SBS, in which 6 or 7 users, simply connect to a shared folder, and 2 users who use it remotely. Now I know why those who use it to remotely's the message coming out every now and then "Exceeded Maximum Number of Connections". Someone can explain how to configure those 6 or 7 people just to access the folder, but without setting the terminal service. I have tried to search on web but didn't find any appropriate results for it. So I thought to post it over here. I am expecting some replies from your side sooner.

Re: Windows Server 2003 SBS: Error Exceeded Maximum Number of Connections

How many CALs you purchased / installed? Because, according to me, an error message that you have mentioned totally depends on CALs that you have installed. I have used for years SBS 2003 with no problem (but I had only local users) and remote (with remote mean that connect using the VPN right? Use the VPN operated by SBS itself through RRAS, etc?). It would be better if you provide some more information about your issue.

So, this is the problem, I've already found the server installed in the sense that we have been given and I do not know the situation is. If you tell me how do I check, and then I wanted to know when it might be a virus to stop the situation in that it tries to access some virtual user difficulties in putting the whole system. Anyways thanks for the help you're providing. As for the connections of the two remote users are connected in Remote Desktop, and simply do not believe you have set up a VPN, I say always because I already found set.

However, if I remember correctly was sold SBS 2003 with 5 CALs and then if you used it the more you could buy (in packages of 5) and then you had to install. Where you can see how many are installed, how much use (at most, not in real time) and possibly add more. Also you must scan your system with updated anti-virus, because the issue that you are mentioning can cause due to the virus infection.

I think now it is clearer. The problem is that those who connect remotely is that SBS 2003 (and the other Windows server systems as far as I know) allow a maximum of two Remote Desktop sessions, typically used for administrative purposes. It sometimes happens that a session is not closed properly or that a user can log in with an account that already used for another session and then the system will say, in fact, that the maximum number of connections has been exceeded. It is therefore not a problem of CAL (check how many you have in any case, if only to be in order). Hope that you will get some help from it.

In fact, SBS is not a terminal server, the terminal should only be used for remote administration, but nobody uses it so I always prefer more manageable solutions like LogMeIn or CrossTec. For remote administration also does not serve the terminal server cal. This is not done. It simply a limit on commercial quote from Microsoft. To use such applications do you connect users in terminal server?