Thread: FTP: limit login attempts in windows server 2003.

FTP: limit login attempts in windows server 2003.

We have a Windows Server 2003 Standard R2. In IIS, we have activated including FTP. What we are missing much, the possibility for a predetermined number of unsuccessful attempts to log the IP address used for some time to block. We use very secure passwords through guidelines and so far, any attempt to gain unauthorized access failed. But it may still not be that a hacker - like tonight - 37 509 tests unpunished takes to illegally log on to our FTP server. My question: Is there a way with a predetermined number of unsuccessful login attempts to block the IP address used? In advance thank you very much!

Re: FTP: limit login attempts in windows server 2003.

I know this cannot be configured with IIS / FTP. If necessary it could not be done by firewall. Under such circumstances, it seems to me to be more appropriate to switch to another product. What should be the benefits of the MS implementation, if the product does not provide such basics? Microsoft has an operating system with additional extensions Basic Components. Additional functions are always of 3 Products added. No one is and should be obliged to Microsoft-based functions.

Sure, but FTP is now part of the IIS. It certainly does not expect a gold product, but at least the basics should be there - especially if one is committed to the safety. Recently I had to crack between 6 und 17 clocks over 200,000 tests, the FTP server. In this aspect should MS have preferred to stay or leave the basics provide. Your answer is really unsatisfactory and it is with me a bit. And yes, I know who you are, that does not change the tone. Anyway thank you for the reply that you have given, if you have any other suggestion then let me know about that.

Because we both cannot change the product, it's not stuck up, but reality and a well-intentioned and often in following the advice of others System Admins. Again: The FTP server of the IIS server is a Windows operating system not recommended for productive use for external access. Then only thing with the additional security measures such as the already TMG 2010 and raised additional add-ons. Counter-question: Why FTP? What is the real intention of your project? There are probably better for the tasks of solutions.

You stumble just above the 60% syndrome, or even partner concept Microsoft. Who and especially how many of you need the desired feature really? What happens if I as a manufacturer that you think Basic integral: I have development costs Ling. Even worse: support I need it and that costs money. I annoy my partner because of which no "air" remains. What is the "air" to the partners? The partners developed "on the fly" small additional tools that Are missing. Where "missing" is always a contentious question. They can sell and so with relatively little use of money. Earn you do not have to program the 500th merchandise management, no need to sow and buys, but they specialize in the Tools section. Microsoft earns revenue from the plan as it will save costs and for extremely many small and medium-sized software companies, the daily Bread. Just your desired feature is a tool that sell well can, as it is not mentioned but just not in a such exotic wishful thinking, results that no one ever develop would.

The FTP server is used to make documents available to employees. These documents should always be available and not only by request. Thus do e-mails for reasons of size and constant availability. There is no write access to the FTP site from outside. All documents are encrypted symmetrically for safety with a 4 MB big key. The key is changed periodically and can only personally by the administrator of a secure database on the PC / laptop for the employee to be copied. Therefore, the security of the FTP server is not so important, but it is annoying when you have to endure every day, hundreds of thousands of hack attempts. We wanted to use "our" Server system for it and were based on experience with other products - Linux, Apache and other freely available FTP servers - it is assumed that the minimum basics are dominated by the MS-FTP. We are, however, been informed of another, and are a bit disappointed. And what other options does the operating system? Which solutions are better suited?